Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Visel, Archfiend of the Funk

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mytharionas

01-17-2013

There are times in game where you reach a state of absolute confidence. Where you care not just about winning your battles, but winning in dramatic fashion. You start to get into your groove, and your moves become the stuff of legends. And nobody knows how to move like Visel, Archfiend of the Funk.

With the demonic power of his homeland and the timeless funk from across of the ages, Visel wields a groove like no other! Timing his abilities in coordination with his Tartarus Tempo will make sure he's always ready to take the stage from his opponents.

Tags: 1-10
Offense: 4
Defense:6
Ability Power:7
Difficulty: 8

Statistics:
Health: 422(+79)
Health Regen: 7.45(+.75)
Mana: 245(+48)
Range: 450
Attack DMG: 51.7(+3.1)
Attack Speed: 0.632(+2.7%)
Magic Resist: 30(+1.25)
Movement Speed: 335
Armor: 18(+3.1)

Appearance:
Visel is very much demonic in his basic appearance. Orange eyes, crimson skin, a large pair of wings protruding from his back, and a huge trapezoidial crest growing from his forehead with horns jutting from the angles. His body is also embedded with pale crystals, which pulse with light in random patterns.

Compared to that, his outfit is not quite so intimidating. He wears an outfit similar to Disco Stu from the Simpsons. An unbuttoned black coat with fiery designs on the sleeves and buttons. His pants and disco shoes also carry this theme. He also sports a pair of trendy sunglasses, which obscure his eyes completely.

As a creature who brings his power forth in the form of music and dance, his skins can take the theme to the other genres. A rock themed Visel would be reminescent of Gene Simmons attire from KISS, with spiked armor and the crazy facepaint. Another idea would be Tartarus Visel, which tosses aside the musical aspect in favor of his demonic heritage. Obsidian greaves, sabatons, gauntlets, and shoulderplates adorned with glowing orange runes, and his attacks and spells would be flame and shadow instead of his usual style.

When Visel stands still, he bobs his head and taps his foot in tune with the pulsing crystals in his chest. He'll also look slightly impatient, as if he either wanted to go somewhere or break out into dance. When he attacks, he does an extravagant spin or flourish, ending with his finger pointed at the target. His finger then releases a pulse of energy that looks exactly like one of his crystals.

Skills:
Visel fights not in the passive and tactical manner of other mages, but instead has one crazy trick up his sleeve. When he times his abilities with the Tartarus Tempo, he can give his abilities a massive power spike.

Passive: Tartarus Tempo - Visel has one stack of Tempo, which corresponds to one of his three basic abilities. Every 0.5 seconds, the Tempo charge changes. Using an ability during that Tempo charge will not trigger the cooldown of that ability. If an ability is refreshed in this manner, the Tempo charge disappears for 7/6/5/4 seconds. Pause does not trigger on any ability.

The order in which Tempo changes is Q->W->E->Pause->Repeat.

A large part of playing Visel relies on maintaining his groove. Using Tartarus Tempo effectively allows him to bolster the effectiveness of his abilities significantly. As for the abilities themselves...

Q: Flames of the Funk - Visel imbues his strike with unadulterated funk, causing his next attack to have 50 bonus range, deal 75/125/175/225/275(+0.7AP) magic damage and afflict his target with Percussion. Flames of the Funk gains additional range against targets with Percussion, and does 50% of it's damage to enemy units around the target.
Range - 500(+50 Tempo Bonus up to a max of 750)
AoE Diameter 200
Cooldown - 12/11/10/9/8
Mana Cost - 70/75/80/85/90
Percussion Duration - 3, refreshable

Most mages prefer to sit back and waggle their fingers to conjure sparkly things at the enemy. Visel is not most mages, as evidenced by his bold plan of attack. With the Flames of the Funk, he can pile on the damage with impunity. Proper usage of Tartarus Tempo will bring destruction upon your foes, but you need a different tool to bring protection upon yourself.

W: Diabolic Dance Floor - Visel infuses the area around him with disco, turning the ground into a dance floor. While on the dance floor, Visel receives 10/15/20/25/30% less damage from all sources outside of the dance floor, and half as much from targets inside. Whenever an enemy unit dies inside the dance floor, Visel gains mana equal to 2% of his maximum mana. Casting Diabolic Dance Floor from inside a dance floor will refresh the duration and increase the area of the dance floor. Casting it outside of the dance floor will refresh the duration and create an additional dance floor.
Range - Self cast
AoE Diameter - 450(+125 Tempo Bonus up to a max of 1075)
Mana Cost - 80/90/100/110/120
Cooldown - 20
Duration - 6, refreshable

The Fields of Justice may be the battlefield of choice for most aspiring warriors, but Visel prefers to fight where the music is loud and the floor lights up for no reason whatsoever! Brave are those who dare face Visel on the dance floor, but better to try and fight him on even terms than shy away from a dance off. By turning the battleground into a dance floor, Visel can create an area from which he can seize the momentum and gather his power for future confrontations. But the fun doesn't end there folks!

E: Infernal Slide - Visel moves with unmatched smoothness, sliding a short distance. This ability deals 55/90/125/160/195(+0.6AP) magic damage and leeches 12% movement speed from struck targets. The leech lasts for 3 seconds but can stack up to 5 times. Visel cannot gain more than 60% movement from this ability.
Range - 350
Duration - 3 seconds, refreshable
Mana Cost - 55/60/65/70/75
Cooldown - 12/11.5/11/10.5/10

Few are those who can move with the kind of groove that Visel can bring. Showing off his moves doesn't just damage his enemies, it also allows Visel further showboating prowess by stealing their movement speed. Whether you want to stay one step ahead of the enemy, or wish to quickly leave the stage, Infernal Slide is the tool to use.

Some among you with sharp eyes and sharper wits may have noticed a certain theme. Visel's abilities grow stronger from being used consecutively. "But wait!" you say, "Tempo will only allows Visel to recast an ability once! It only has one charge!"

R: Fiendish Freestyle - Visel begins to fight according to his own rhythm! Using Fiendish Freestyle grants Visel the ability to use 2/3/4 charges of Tartarus Tempo. The 2nd charge is one beat ahead of the default charge. The 3rd charge is two beats ahead of the default charge. The 4th charge is three beats ahead of the default charge. The extra charges must be used within 15 seconds of activating Fiendish Freestyle.
Cooldown - 70/55/40
Range - Self cast
Duration - 15
Mana Cost -100/150/200

Visel cares not for the limitations imposed upon his style! His ultimate makes this perfectly clear by increasing the number of charges of Tartarus Tempo, allowing him to use his abilities up to three, four, or even five times in a row! Flames of the Funk will bring great destruction upon the target with multiple bolts of funky freshness! Diabolic Dance Floor will encompass an incredible length, allowing Visel to declare that area as his personal dancing ground! And no enemy can deny the smoothness of Visel's moves when he and his comrades are locked down with multiple Infernal Slides! Truly, the power of funk is not to be underestimated.

Playing as Visel:
Diabolic Dance Floor will grant Visel mana for each enemy that perishes inside it. Using creep waves as a source of mana will allow Visel to keep himself fresh and able to bring out the damage upon his foes.

Tartarus Tempo will allow your skills to be used multiple times, but it also has a cooldown shorter than Diabolic Dance Floor. If frequent use of Diabolic Dance Floor is of great importance, it may be useful to use it only on the Tempo charge.

Even with Fiendish Freestyle, the Tartarus Tempo follows a reliable pattern. The ability on the 1st charge will be on the next in half a second. If you intend to use every charge on a single ability, proper timing will allow you to do so with ease.

Playing against Visel:
Visel's strengths lie in his ability to harass an enemy consecutively. If you can disengage in the middle of his combo, you may throw his plans off balance.

Visel has a nasty way of sticking to his target using Infernal Slide and Tartarus Tempo. Try not to clump together, it will allow the rest of your team to remain at normal speed and put them in a much better position to punish him.

Tartarus Tempo is Visel's strongest asset in his offense. However, this relies on him being able to dish out his spells when he needs to. Silence, stuns and other forms of CC would be very effective at disrupting his timing.

Lore:
Far below the lands of Valoran, a most mysterious and terrifying place was hidden. This place was known to its denizens as Tartarus, a land of stone and fire where the spirits of sinful men and women were subjected to torments inconceivable to mortal minds. To mete out this eternal punishment, the powers that be have created the Archfiends of Tartarus, and bestowed great power upon them that they might carry out their duties. Wrath, Greed, Lust, no sin is so minute that the Archfiends will not punish those responsible. And yet, their power seemed so meaningless, as their task was not one of glory but of servitude.

The winged creature known only as Visel roamed the lands of Tartarus since an age beyond memory. He has witnessed the punishments of mankind's first sin, and became a symbol of fear to the unwilling souls held prisoner in this land. Alas, even with all the power at his command, he felt little different from those he punished. A prisoner of his own will with nothing to his name but the pain and misery he inflicted upon his subjects. Weary from his endless task, Visel's only respite was a crystal ball he received as tribute from one of the few servants he had on the world above. Through this ball he could peer into the world above, into it's past, it's present, and it's future.

Time had no meaning in a land such as Tartarus, but the same could not be said of Valoran. As he roamed the red skies of Tartarus, a sound shook Visel so violently that he lost control of his wings. As he spiraled toward the ground, more strange sounds came into being, invoking a feeling within Visel that he didn't believe could exist in a heart such as his. A feeling of serenity, of peace...nothing like that could ever manifest in Tartarus! Upon landing, Visel hurriedly took out his orb to discover the cause. His gaze fell upon the lonely form of a young girl, fiddling with some sort of wooden device. She plucked strings upon it, and gave birth to stirring melodies the like of which Visel had never dreamed were possible. Tears formed in his eyes, he smiled for the first time in his formerly wretched existence, and focused deeply on the ball wanting nothing more than to hear these blessed melodies. Unfortunately, the woman did not play again, and the vision had ended as abruptly as it began.

This did not deter Visel. Having borne witness to such a wondrous thing, he began to have a revelation about the world above. There was great beauty in that world, one that could invoke emotions and stir the hearts of all who are fortunate enough to hear it, even one such as his. He could not bear to deny himself that beauty, and peered into the future to see what was to come. Visel grinned with deep satisfaction as the girl in his last vision became a full fledged woman, and had begun to pluck the strings once more. This vision lasted much longer, and Visel's spirits lifted with every melody, each one displaying more of life's majesty than the last. As that vision came to a close, Visel decided that it was all he needed to keep moving forward. He would give the world time, and see what new beauty would awaken.

Visel counted the years, and eventually took to the orb once more. He had grown fond of that woman and her melodies, but something even greater would begin to emerge. His vision fell upon large crowds of people, cheering for a most peculiar assortment of minstrels. The woman was there, but she did not perform alone. Fearsome and unearthly warriors took to the strings and created strong, violent rhythms. The woman augmented these with her own haunting melodies and created music that poured strength into Visel with every note. A hideous undead figure used his own voice, taking the performance to new heights. As the crowd cheered and roared, Visel himself was more than enchanted. He needed to see more! He turned his gaze to the far future, eager to see the height of music's evolution...

But he had gone too far. The woman was not to be found in this age, and instead of the melodies he had grown to love, the music has been twisted beyond recognition into something horrid. The notes were mindless, and the voices were empty. They squandered the glories of their past in favor of riches and fame. This abomination held much of the world in it's thrall, and it's followers were as numerous as they were sinful. Unable to bear the vision any longer, the crystal ball shattered into a thousand pieces. Many of these magical shards embedded themselves into Visel's flesh, but that pain was nothing compared to witnessing that future. He could not sit by and watch as one of humanity's greatest creations headed towards such a miserable end. With a roar that echoed across Tartarus, Visel contacted his servants and commanded them to bring him into the world above. It was there that his new duty would begin. He would take the greatest aspects of the world's minstrels, blend them together with his immortal style, and give rise to a golden age of music that would endure forever!

"Sometimes, I can hear them echo across time. They sing to me. I feel the rhythm reverberate throughout my entire being. And then...well, there's nothing left to do but dance." - Visel.

Quotes:
Champion Selection - "Thank you very much."

Moving - "The smoothest of moves."
Moving - "Step by step, baby."
Moving - "Can you feel the rhythm?"
Moving - "Some music would liven this place up a bit."
Moving - "Groovy."
Moving - "We need to book it."
Moving - "Keep on truckin', baby."
Moving - "Let's blow this popsicle stand!"

Attacking - "Get down with the baddest of selves."
Attacking - "The sweetest of beats!"
Attacking - "Think you've got the moves, baby?"
Attacking - "My fists, they are made of funk!"
Attacking - "Time to pound out my new rhythm!"
Attacking - "You can't stop the funk!"
Attacking - "This gig never gets old!"
Attacking - "You wanna dance? I can dig it!"

Flames of the Funk (Tempo) - You think you're hot stuff, don't ya?
Flames of the Funk (Tempo) - Baby, i'm gonna light your fire!

Diabolic Dance Floor (Tempo) - It's time to step up!
Diabolic Dance Floor (Tempo) - Dance off? Ah YEAH!

Infernal Slide (Tempo) - Who's got the moves?
Infernal Slide (Tempo) - I'm all over this stage!

Taunt - "You can dance if you want to, you can leave your soul behind! But if you wanna dance, and if you don't dance, then you're...about to DIE!"
Taunt - "I say, you can run where you want to, a place you don't think i'll find. But even though i'm not of this world, you won't leave me behind!"

Joke - "What, you expected something more evil? That'd be silly. 'Cower mortals, as I permit the beat to descend!'"
Joke - "Still not buying it are you? I'm telling you, it'd sound bogus. 'Bow before me, or face the wrath of catchy tunes!'"

Final Thoughts:
Visel is a bit of a special case. In strictly chronological terms, Visel is the product of 3 months of work. In terms of how much time I actually spent, it was maybe a week of work followed by 2.5 months of mental blockage. The problem I faced in creating Visel is that his concept was a critical mass of silly, which made any coherent idea regarding the skillset seem out of place. As such, I tended to deviate from this concept into making a different champion.

Visel is by no means perfect. In fact, I created his entire skillset in an hour, so he's probably an atrocity in terms of balance. Quite frankly, I just wanted to finish him up so I could get focus on something new. I feel like the lore was excellent, and the other parts are serviceable, but the best part of this champion for me is the fact that he is no longer in my way. If anyone with numerical experience wants to analyze the skillset, by all means let me know how I can improve this.

1/28/13 Added a "Pause" charge for Tartarus Tempo to make it better fit the funk theme. My thanks to Zarkof for his input.

Let me know what you think, whether it's bad or good, critique to take the story, issues with the kit, and so on, so forth. If you wish to look at my other champions instead you can find them at this index (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2887542).

Every review helps, and i'd be more than happy to review your champions in exchange.

EpicFrogNinja

01-24-2013

First off, his lore and quotes are awesome. Nice thematic choice.

Passive: Creative passive. Makes him unique from other champions.

Q: you mention percussion once, but then you never explain it throughout the rest of the concept.

W: I think this move is supposed to encourage enemies to get close to Visel. However, it seems like enemies can just move farther away and wait out the duration, forcing Visel to get away from the dance floor.

E: A good ability. Does it pass through enemies or stop at the first one hit? Does the leech start applying during the slide, or after he stops?

R: It's very creative. Giving players control over the passive is pretty strong, as he can cast abilities rapidly and deal a lot of damage.

Robo Frodo

01-24-2013

Please make him riot, I wanna hear "Grooooovy" like "Draaaaaven"

Mytharionas

01-24-2013

Quote:
Q: you mention percussion once, but then you never explain it throughout the rest of the concept.

About Percussion, it doesn't actually affect anything other than subsequent Flames of the Funk casts. None of the other abilities impact it in any way.

Quote:
W: I think this move is supposed to encourage enemies to get close to Visel. However, it seems like enemies can just move farther away and wait out the duration, forcing Visel to get away from the dance floor.

True, and true. Of course, if an enemy doesn't wish to get on the dance floor, Visel will have free reign over that area. If he uses it on a creep wave, he can replenish his mana with their deaths, and ultimately gain some advantages due to their unwillingness to fight him. Of course, an Infernal Slide or two might leave them without much say in the matter.

Quote:
E: A good ability. Does it pass through enemies or stop at the first one hit? Does the leech start applying during the slide, or after he stops?

It happens during the slide. It's extremely useful in gaining the mobility advantage so you can get the rest of your abilities off unhindered.
Quote:

R: It's very creative. Giving players control over the passive is pretty strong, as he can cast abilities rapidly and deal a lot of damage.

I was struggling to think of an ultimate that fit Visel's playstyle. Making his ultimate a way to super charge his passive seemed lackluster at first, but now i'm having trouble imagining anything better suited for him.

I thought Visel might've been too kooky to be a competent concept, but it seems like i've done something right here after all. Glad to see the Archfiend of the Funk has some fans even at this stage.

EpicFrogNinja

01-24-2013

Thanks for the review! Here, have a bump.

Zarkof

01-27-2013

Having the tempo on his passive change only 3 times makes it seem more like a waltz than a 4/4 funk beat. Possibly adding in an empty 4th beat would help balance this out. Another thing is that if you like to listen to music while playing, this can affect your beat and throw off your groove! Personally, I think there should be a small audio cue on this champ to help with the tempo changing - a metronome of sorts, like a "One, Two, Three, YEAH!". And for those players who don't utilize game audio (a real shame, it's such great sound design), he could also have a different dance pose for each spell, and a bonus animation if you get it correct. I think this is a really neat and innovative ability, not only for its potential to bring a further sense of champion uniqueness but because it also opens up another level of depth to his abilities.

Another hidden thing you could do would be to have the game detect whatever music you were playing through your speakers and match the beat to that. hehe

Q - Nothing wrong here. The only thing I don't understand is the max tempo range.

W - Sounds good but again I don't understand the hugely increased radius from max tempo bonus.

E - The only problem I have with this is that it has a melee effect for a ranged champion. It tends to border role mismatch but your champ's range is relatively low for a ranged champ. So IDK. Is the movement speed steal like Malphite's Q? Does this affect minions or just champions?

R - Does the cooldown start on the use of the final charge or upon activation? Another thing I am confused by is when you say that the charge is behind or in front of the whatever. Is it based on when you activate the spell, so that you get 3 refreshes of that spell and 1 of the other two? Or do you just get 4 refreshes so you can use it all on the same spell?

Overall I like it but he doesn't seem to have a lot of utility. I think the Q percussion should have a 1 sec stun to the original target instead of splash damage. It would make more sense to me, having weakened someone with the first burst and then bringing it home with a followup. I enjoyed the flow of the concept and am glad to see that people put a lot of effort into their work.

If you feel so inclined I have a few concepts in need of attention. Pick one, or pick more and I'll try to get to more of your champs.
- Cilla, the Psyche (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2894103) - Mage - last champion I did with aesthetics
- Arlin, the Plasmodial Sentience (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2907113) - AP Bruiser
- Rylan, Master of the Woods (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2935030) - Versatile ADC - no lore yet
- Holix, the Arcane Shield (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2965876) - Tank utilizing new resource
- Migna, the Scatterbrained Genius (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3040436) - Yordle inventor with an additional resource - no lore yet

Mytharionas

01-28-2013

Quote:
Having the tempo on his passive change only 3 times makes it seem more like a waltz than a 4/4 funk beat. Possibly adding in an empty 4th beat would help balance this out. Another thing is that if you like to listen to music while playing, this can affect your beat and throw off your groove! Personally, I think there should be a small audio cue on this champ to help with the tempo changing - a metronome of sorts, like a "One, Two, Three, YEAH!". And for those players who don't utilize game audio (a real shame, it's such great sound design), he could also have a different dance pose for each spell, and a bonus animation if you get it correct.

That seems like some pretty good logic there. I'll try and get that added.

Also, i'm wondering how to make the effect of Tartarus Tempo stand out...The audio solution might be a tad annoying if Visel went "One, Two, Three, YEAH!" for the entire game, but I think there could be something to use with a visual cue.

If you remember his appearance, Visel's body has multiple crystals in it that pulse with light in seemingly random patterns. Perhaps the crystals can pulse with colors corresponding to his abilities. Red for Q, Purple for W, Blue for E, and White for Empty. The crystals that would do this could be on his wings and fists.

Quote:
Another hidden thing you could do would be to have the game detect whatever music you were playing through your speakers and match the beat to that. hehe

As awesome as that sounds, i'm wondering if there's a balance issue that may cause. If blasting "Never gonna give you up" increases Visel's power, than that may be a bit hard to use.

As for Q and W, I wanted most of Visel's abilities to gain power from correct tempo charges. Seeing as how Visel is very short ranged for a mage, I thought giving Q extra range for multiple casts would allow him to gain the benefits for their deft usage of Tempo. As for W, I actually had no idea how I was going to make that ability get more powerful from Tempo.

Also, I didn't put a stun on it because the ability could be cast many times on the same target in rapid succession. Then again, I feel like i've been trying to create champions without any CC recently, so I could be overestimating the impact a stun would have here.

Where E is concerned, I intended for Visel to be very short ranged, and feel like a different kind of mage entirely from what we're used to. I also intend for Visel to steal movement from hit champions (like Malphite.) It won't affect minions.

And as for R. I was thinking for the cooldown to start at the last cast. As for the behind/front part, the reason I said this is to help illustrate the order in which the tempo would occur. I'll show you a list of how it would work. Pretend your default Tempo charge is on Q;

Level 1: Q + W
Level 2: Q + W + E
Level 3: Q + W + E + Q

You may notice that, when the Tempo changes, it switches to the next ability. So once you used the first Tempo charge on Q, the next Tempo charge will have changed to another Q at that point. And again. And yet again. The pattern was promoted to allow for a natural feel when you cast an ability many times in a row. At max rank, it would be 2 refreshes on the default Tempo, and 1 refresh each on the other abilities.

I'm actually surprised how well Visel turned out. I tried a different approach than usual, saving the skillset for last and getting everything else set in stone. Maybe my next champion could benefit from a similar approach.

I'll try and get around to one of your champions in what I hope will be a few days time. Thanks for giving Visel a look.

EDIT: When i've added the "Pause" charge, Fiendish Freestyle's previous description would've messed up the beat. It is now 1 charge for default, 1 for each of his other abilities, and 1 on the Pause.

OuttaControl56

03-18-2013

First I read Archfiend of Funk. A good sign.

Then Tartarus Tempo. Its a perfect champ IMO.

Okay now I'm actually going to read it....

Thoughts:

My god its the most hipest champ in the league. Obviously I scream at power at the W, but it does have max range.

I feel hitting its tempo is too easy.The real problem winds back to the tempo. A person could easily get down the movements and really form a pain train with ease and make the entire mid lane a dancefloor since the W tempo refreshes every 2 seconds essentially.

As much as I feel it needs to be fixed, though, I don't see how and I don't want to mess with it, it keeps things up in the air and very interesting. Mana costs is obviously our Fiend's biggest weakness that is for sure. Its also really hard to get the tempo so it may not be abused as I fear it would.

Mytharionas

03-30-2013

Quote:
My god its the most hipest champ in the league. Obviously I scream at power at the W, but it does have max range.

I feel hitting its tempo is too easy.The real problem winds back to the tempo. A person could easily get down the movements and really form a pain train with ease and make the entire mid lane a dancefloor since the W tempo refreshes every 2 seconds essentially.

As much as I feel it needs to be fixed, though, I don't see how and I don't want to mess with it, it keeps things up in the air and very interesting. Mana costs is obviously our Fiend's biggest weakness that is for sure. Its also really hard to get the tempo so it may not be abused as I fear it would.

I feel like I may have written my ability wrong. While Visel takes reduced damage from enemies outside the dance floor, the resistances are halved when fighting enemies inside the floor. The point is to make getting in close to Visel a more attractive option should you decide to fight him..

I'll admit, getting ridiculously large dance floors is easy if you have the mana for it. Thing is, if you use your mana making the lane a consistent dance floor, you need to save every Tempo charge for it and chug mana in ways that would make Anivia's jaw hit the ground. I'm not saying it can't be abused for a huge constant coverage, but Visel has to forgo using his Tempo for anything else if he wants to keep it, which is a huge part of his offensive power.