Are Champions As Awesome As They Could Be? @Morello @Feralpony @IronStylus @Xypherous

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BestBilbo

01-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SausageToes View Post
I love these ideas, my favorite though has to be Sona. She now has an actual skill based set, learning when to use the combinations for all the songs effectively rather than having "click button no aim" skills. I think you've really brought out the vision for each of the champions without creating something too unfair. Each player's roles have been more defined to themselves, especially with supports having more of a role than just baby sitting the AD carry for the beginning of the game; sure they may throw in a cc or so in a team fight but with these new abilities they can actually do their role properly.
Even if all the ideas don't make it, some of these really bring out the true story behind each and every character.
While being healthier for the game and more fun to play along the way :)

Thanks for your support, it's very much appreciated.

ItemsGuy

01-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SausageToes View Post
I love these ideas, my favorite though has to be Sona. She now has an actual skill based set, learning when to use the combinations for all the songs effectively rather than having "click button no aim" skills. I think you've really brought out the vision for each of the champions without creating something too unfair. Each player's roles have been more defined to themselves, especially with supports having more of a role than just baby sitting the AD carry for the beginning of the game; sure they may throw in a cc or so in a team fight but with these new abilities they can actually do their role properly.
Even if all the ideas don't make it, some of these really bring out the true story behind each and every character.
Thank you! One of my biggest goals with supports was to make them just as satisfying to play and "powerful" as other champions--not just a babysitter!

Possess

01-25-2013

I see a fair amount of abilities reappropriated from HoN or DotA (e.g. a Janna ability named Zephyr, that a HoN hero named Zephyr has).

This isn't bad per se, since some of it is design space that LoL hasn't moved into.

ItemsGuy

01-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possess View Post
I see a fair amount of abilities reappropriated from HoN or DotA (e.g. a Janna ability named Zephyr, that a HoN hero named Zephyr has).

This isn't bad per se, since some of it is design space that LoL hasn't moved into.
My rule is--if I see something good, I take it! I don't understand when people get upset about Riot using pre-existing concepts--as long as you do something cool with it and it makes sense, there's no harm done.

Cho's new ult for example--taken from DotA, tweaked to fit Cho's design in terms of character, as well as his kit!

It's all about "stealing like an artist," yo!

BestBilbo

01-25-2013

Made a Thresh Montage - I feel like leaving this here, has been the past ~10 games in League I have played. Won 9 of them. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-YC4...ature=youtu.be

ItemsGuy

01-25-2013

Just had a particularly enlightening conversation with Peri on Skype--I feel it's certainly relevant to this thread (especially with that video he posted) so I shall post the conversation here!

Quote:
[7:07:22 PM] Ryan Melley: Yeah, working now
[7:12:49 PM] Ryan Melley: Haha, you've got quite a bit of tricks up your sleeve with him!
[7:13:11 PM] Ryan Melley: Particularly like that drag -> drag -> pull -> whip combo you pull off consistently
[7:13:17 PM] Ryan Melley: Makes it so you can't miss with E!
[7:14:00 PM] Dokter. Brein: Dude - I played him the first game
[7:14:07 PM] Dokter. Brein: And I 'felt' it
[7:14:24 PM] Dokter. Brein: Dunno, the patiently waiting of dragging people
[7:14:27 PM] Dokter. Brein: came natural
[7:14:31 PM] Ryan Melley: Yeah!
[7:14:31 PM] Dokter. Brein: but yeah - tons of fun
[7:14:33 PM] Ryan Melley: **** MAN
[7:14:38 PM] Dokter. Brein: ?
[7:14:41 PM] Ryan Melley: DO YOU KNOW HOW ****ING HUGE THAT IS
[7:14:46 PM] Ryan Melley: WHAT YOU JUST SAID RIGHT THERE
[7:14:52 PM] Ryan Melley: "came natural"
[7:14:54 PM] Ryan Melley: THAT
[7:14:54 PM] Ryan Melley: IS
[7:14:55 PM] Dokter. Brein: lolol
[7:14:56 PM] Ryan Melley: GAME DESIGN
[7:14:56 PM] Dokter. Brein: yeah
[7:15:01 PM] Ryan Melley: Do you know how
[7:15:03 PM] Ryan Melley: ****ING
[7:15:04 PM] Ryan Melley: HUGE
[7:15:05 PM] Ryan Melley: that is
[7:15:23 PM] Ryan Melley: That you and the champion were in sync 100% /AND IT MADE YOU PLAY BETTER/
[7:15:34 PM] Dokter. Brein: yeah dude
[7:15:36 PM] Dokter. Brein: I felt like him
[7:15:37 PM] Dokter. Brein: seriously
[7:15:42 PM] Ryan Melley: This is going in the thread
[7:15:44 PM] Ryan Melley: Hold on
This is the magic of game design! I feel euphoric right now!

See this, Morello? This is what LoL is capable of! Doesn't that just excite the hell out of you?

I've been devoting myself to this work for the past four months because even the thought of a game that not only does this, but does this with every character available (100+ characters, even!) is a game I could easily still be playing decades after new content (namely champions) stopped coming out for it. Such an endless buffet of enriching (multiplayer!) experiences is certainly something worth working for. : )

ItemsGuy

01-25-2013

Very minor, low-priority nitpick redesigns:

Thresh, the Chain Warden (changed the "snappy"/immediate aspects of his kit to be more drawn-out, creating a heightened sense of psychological dread to capitalize on the success of the rest of his design, and fixing some slight readability/visual clarity problems)

Vi, the Piltover Enforcer (While her shield and ult "work" for her, made some changes to capitalize on the success of the rest of her design, bringing her playstyle even more together and creating a greater sense of unity on every level)

Still having a blast with Vi, just playing her is incredibly satisfying (especially after those QoL changes)!

BestBilbo

01-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItemsGuy View Post
Very minor, low-priority nitpick redesigns:

Thresh, the Chain Warden (changed the "snappy"/immediate aspects of his kit to be more drawn-out, creating a heightened sense of psychological dread to capitalize on the success of the rest of his design, and fixing some slight readability/visual clarity problems)

Vi, the Piltover Enforcer (While her shield and ult "work" for her, made some changes to capitalize on the success of the rest of her design, bringing her playstyle even more together and creating a greater sense of unity on every level)

Still having a blast with Vi, just playing her is incredibly satisfying (especially after those QoL changes)!
As you have said yourself - really nitpicking here though what you are doing makes sense. Will add these later.

PS: I'm currently in love with Thresh guys. CertainlyT did a great job, everyone who helped develop him did a great job.

ItemsGuy

01-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestBilbo View Post
As you have said yourself - really nitpicking here though what you are doing makes sense. Will add these later.

PS: I'm currently in love with Thresh guys. CertainlyT did a great job, everyone who helped develop him did a great job.
Exactly! Although Morello may have done it for different reasons, even solidly-designed champions like Darius can still be pushed further. That's what I aim to do, to make playing them the most "awesome" experiences they can be!

EDIT:

I'm actually trying to figure out a Lux redesign right now--her character brings something unique to the League (ie. there isn't really another character that fulfills what Lux does, ie. that bright and sunny personality, sort of "Magical Girl" undertones, etc.) that I think a lot of people enjoy, but creating a unified, readable, and practical "Light Mage" playstyle is proving to be a real challenge!

I'll power for this, though! For you guys!

M0mentkill3r

01-25-2013

I wonder if Zyra could be fixed with her ultimate being changed from a cast able AOE spell to a DOT cast able spell like Morgona's chains. Have it hit every champion in a certain distance, and deal constant damage while close to her. Nothing like a toggle, just vines shooting out at the champions. Of course there needs to be a set tether distance and time. It fits her lore, and quote."Closer to the Flower, Closer to the Thorns".