Are Champions As Awesome As They Could Be? @Morello @Feralpony @IronStylus @Xypherous

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MerryMad

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItemsGuy View Post
Like I said, the changes I wish to bring would occur outside of League of Legends as it exists. This is priority, and even if Riot threw infinite money at me at I had godlike mastery of every aspect of game design, I wouldn't make even the most minor of changes to League as it currently stands. In fact, it's quite possible that I'll never make these changes at all.

The important thing that stands is that I am here for champion design. I'm not limited to redesigning the champs, but creating champions of my own--I'm here to bring kick-ass experiences to players, and original content is probably how that'll happen for the first 4-6 years at Riot. While I'd prefer having things not be a hodge-podge of what I consider to be fitting standards of good design and things I don't, that's not really something for me to decide.

Also, speaking of original champions, I'm really confused as to who this "MerryMad" is. I've spoken to all of my friends on Skype asking if it's a smurf, but they've all said no.

MerryMad, if you could please explain things to me, that would be great! It's not that I don't want it to look like I'm grasping at straws and making smurfs that agree with me, I'm also genuinely confused and this will probably keep me up at night.
The funny thing is that I've been using this handle for quite a while now, and one of my friends pointed out to me that a certain OC uses the same name (I really like her, btw) and introduced me to League. I liked it enough that he actually bought me Riven, Battle Bunny Riven, and Syndra. I'm still learning, but I do see some flaws in champions. While playing Teemo, I wasn't exactly sure WHAT I was supposed to be building, and Syndra seems rather lackluster somehow, regarding micromanagement of balls. I haven't played much recently, mostly because I'm busy doing homework, though, both in the literal sense and the "study 100+ heroes" sense. The new items did not help facilitate this process, it seems.

Lolkis

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryMad View Post
The funny thing is that I've been using this handle for quite a while now, and one of my friends pointed out to me that a certain OC uses the same name (I really like her, btw) and introduced me to League. I liked it enough that he actually bought me Riven, Battle Bunny Riven, and Syndra. I'm still learning, but I do see some flaws in champions. While playing Teemo, I wasn't exactly sure WHAT I was supposed to be building, and Syndra seems rather lackluster somehow, regarding micromanagement of balls. I haven't played much recently, mostly because I'm busy doing homework, though, both in the literal sense and the "study 100+ heroes" sense. The new items did not help facilitate this process, it seems.
Dude, Itemsguy that is clearly you. You can't turn off the way you talk for a second. The account is level 10, the reward level, and hasn't been played in over a month.

ItemsGuy

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolkis View Post
Dude, Itemsguy that is clearly you. You can't turn off the way you talk for a second. The account is level 10, the reward level, and hasn't been played in over a month.
Merry, do you have a Skype (read "Merry please have a Skype")? If we could both get into a Skype chat with Lolkis here and clear up any misconceptions, that would be great.

(also i can change the way i talk lol its not hard or anything ajgdgjgj--also, if I were to create a smurf, I don't really see why I'd go to any length to not only name it after a character of mine, but also go on to pretty much agree with everything I've said; I'm not stupid, and the fact that you think I am is insulting, yo!)

MerryMad

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolkis View Post
But I'm not! I've been busy with other things, and other games. I got to Level 10 to get gifts from my friend for the holiday season.

@ItemsGuy
Yeah, it's merry.mad

Bigman20013

01-23-2013

how is the chat going with merry mad cause this is priceless

phatcat09

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigman20013 View Post
I still have no idea what's going on. All I know is itemguy said my idea for a different MOBA was stupid because they don't work in this one.

ItemsGuy

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigman20013 View Post
I agree (EDIT: whoops, thought you said "pointless")--but apparently Lolkis and co. won't let it go until it's figured out, so I'm probably going to do a video Skype call and screencap it, or ask her to hold up some sort of timestamp so it can be made clear that we're completely separate entities.

I really don't know what these guys are going on about, and the fact that they've gone so far out of the way to derail this thread while we had some genuine game design talk going on (which doesn't happen often on GD and was good enough to warrant a sticky and comments from none other than the head of the design team himself, even after coming back from vacation and being loaded with work), and to be blunt, it's kind of ticking me off.

The sooner we get this straightened out the better, I was really enjoying the tests people have been putting my theories to. Just saying something works is no use if you can't say why, and the discourse in this thread helps me develop that!

Arechon Gend

01-23-2013

Umm, looking at the last few pages, what exactly did this thread turn into? I mean, I know it seemed like a lot of people (including myself) disagreed with Itemsguy on a lot of points, but this is actually rather strange.

And Riot stickied this thread.......... lol

YamiBelgarath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arechon Gend View Post
Umm, looking at the last few pages, what exactly did this thread turn into? I mean, I know it seemed like a lot of people (including myself) disagreed with Itemsguy on a lot of points, but this is actually rather strange.

Yeah...some nutcase decided Itemsguy is making smurfs to support this thread...ironically after Reds stickied this thread because it has really interesting content and valid points about design (at least, I'm assuming that's why they stickied it, apologies if I'm wrong).

I''ll post again in a bit when I've read over the last few pages and tried to figure out where the conversation got derailed this time.

ItemsGuy

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arechon Gend View Post

From now on, off-topic points will be ignored.

And again, including more maps is not the way to go because it just makes the game harder to balance and splits the playerbase. Summoner's Rift (LoL's main attraction) would have to vie for player attention, and that's not good.

The example I think Rioters used was Counter Strike--where there were so many maps that there was no real "core" to hold the game together, so it fell apart into obscurity. If LoL is to become the greatest eSport it can, that will only get in the way.

If you could, state both the positives and negatives of the addition of new maps (even though maps are off-topic in this thread, it's a step in the right direction)

Upsides:

-More variety in terms of how players play the game, regardless of champions (ideally I would want the variety to lie within the 100+ champions, and not 3+ maps)

-Exploring possibilities for new genres--DotA wasn't WoW, but a modification made with its tools; LoL could potentially give birth to a new game if something happens and it catches on (although this is a bit risky and I wouldn't depend on chance for Riot's success and the creation of interesting, new content)

-People that wouldn't play Summoner's Rift might play LoL because of these new maps (although these could easily be made into different games with playable characters tailored specifically for it--allowing them to live up to Riot Games Inc.--I'm not saying that different kinds of game are a bad idea, but rather that they wouldn't fit in LoL or any future installments, and are thus off-topic and best left to a different thread)

Downsides:

-Pretty much everything I said, on top of the fact that it would spread developers thin, and the fact that it wouldn't be a good idea until Summoner's Rift is as fleshed out as it can be

If you could respond in this same format, that would be ideal. We should both be looking at both sides of things, and that articulation is what this thread has been missing up until now! From now on, this is the standard I shall hold myself to, regardless of whose points I am commenting on (although I'd prefer if it were on-topic).