Are Champions As Awesome As They Could Be? @Morello @Feralpony @IronStylus @Xypherous

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ItemsGuy

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arechon Gend View Post
Except the people that spent hundreds of dollars on the first game, they are going to fill ripped off (even if they can still play original LoL).
They spent money on a game they enjoyed, to allow it stay alive and become what it is today. Besides, if that becomes an issue, there could very well be some way to reimburse--such as giving discounts off of champions you've already purchased, keeping skins unlocked, and so on. There's a way around this, and I wouldn't let it get in the way.

Quote:
Also anyone who's favorite champion doesn't make the cut for the second game (No game company would try and recreate 110 champions at once), in my experience, people dislike losing content more than they like gaining new content, case in point, the Twisted Treeline fiasco, more people were upset at losing the old Twisted Treeline than they were gaining the new one, dispite the fact that the new one if a far better map.
People are always going to be nostalgic, but again, you can't make sacrifices based off of that. LoL 2 would be an entirely new game--if they wanted the old experiences, they'd play the old game. People still play Melee because they like it better than Brawl (%*$& TRIPPING), its competitive scene is just as alive as it has ever been. There may just as well be a dedicated LoL playerbase left over, but the new player would go to the shinier, newer LoL 2.

Quote:
Champions can be redesigned, and already have been for the first game.
But there's a limit to that--and again, redesigning champions here means taking away something that players may have liked. Is this not worse than content simply not making it to the next game? At worst case scenario, if you don't like something in LoL 2 or simply miss it, you can still go back to LoL. I'm not taking anything away from anybody, but rather creating new content for new and old players to enjoy.

Quote:
I don't really see the point in a sequel here. Only thing missing is story progression, which hasn't even been touched yet within the original. Yeah, back to maps again >.>
Well, I've already said everything I need to say on the matter in this thread and its predecessors! If you simply don't agree and think "more maps" is the way to go, I can't do much to change your mind.

I wouldn't get your hopes up for new maps, though, as the Rioters have already expressed why they don't think this is the way to go--and for good reason, too.

ItemsGuy

01-23-2013

Well, it seems that a few people I've rubbed the wrong way in the past don't like what I'm doing--not much I can do to stop that.

I don't like having enemies, so it certainly is regrettable that people have decided to dedicate some of their lives to personally attacking me on a public forum under the thin veil of "well we just don't think what he's doing is right." I guess that's what happens when you mess with The Dunk Krew! :y

Good thing that what you guys are saying--regardless of how grossly exaggerated and warped it is--doesn't really detract from the points I've made in this thread and the validity they hold. I still have yet to be met with counterpoints that I haven't neatly dismantled! Which isn't necessarily a good thing--if somebody can find a flaw in what I aim to do that I can't counter with sound arguments based in the fundamentals of game design, the science of "play," and human psychology, that just means that not only do I have room to grow as a game designer, but I would also know how to do so! (If I start pulling arguments out of my hat--or have the impression that I am--point this out so I can either back up my claims with solid arguments or change my tune)

(Also, for you curious onlookers--I used to be friends with somebody and would play LoL with them and their friends; however, we had a violent and confusing falling-out and her friends are out for blood. That's what good friends are for! Take what they say with a grain of salt.)

MerryMad

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horasu View Post
Hurr.
That's cute and all, but don't you feel it a little bit, you know, improper to try and shame someone like that to give them negative attention? Regardless of how he thinks of people he deals with, (hey, people who work at Tech Support are really sick of technologically illiterate folks or people who can just Google the solution rather than getting calls from people who have actual problems, and they often complain about that stuff) you shouldn't post that stuff here to drag his name through the mud. Yeah, yeah, he does come off rather insensitive, but you're even worse by making his time and effort go to waste. He finally got this stickied and replied to by Morello, and you just want to take that away from him, and getting your butt buddies to downvote every single person who sides with him, and LE UPBOAT XD everyone who doesn't?

Horasu

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItemsGuy View Post
Well, it seems that a few people I've rubbed the wrong way in the past don't like what I'm doing--not much I can do to stop that.

I don't like having enemies, so it certainly is regrettable that people have decided to dedicate some of their lives to personally attacking me on a public forum under the thin veil of "well we just don't think what he's doing is right." I guess that's what happens when you mess with The Dunk Krew! :y

Good thing that what you guys are saying--regardless of how grossly exaggerated and warped it is--doesn't really detract from the points I've made in this thread and the validity they hold. I still have yet to be met with counterpoints that I haven't neatly dismantled! Which isn't necessarily a good thing--if somebody can find a flaw in what I aim to do that I can't counter with sound arguments based in the fundamentals of game design, the science of "play," and human psychology, that just means that not only do I have room to grow as a game designer, but I would also know how to do so!

(Also, for you curious onlookers--I used to be friends with somebody and would play LoL with them and their friends; however, we had a violent and confusing falling-out and her friends are out for blood. That's what good friends are for! Take what they say with a grain of salt.)
Now hold on. I didn't even intend on posting again, but I think you are blaming others that are not me. I do not even know of the people you are talking about. I am entirely independent and that post was entirely an independent process. I apologize for anyone blamed for my actions.

Finally, one last note. I do not think it's a bad thing to bring up what transpires on a public forum. For one thing, it's much better than a private blog. For another, you have sent in an application to join Riot. If you were making your own game, then yes, I would have ignored you and/or brought it up privately.

However, you might join Riot. That means, if you join, then the direction you want to take the game directly affects me and everyone else in this thread, and more, since we play it. That is the only reason I would bring this up publicly. This situation affects everyone reading this post.

phatcat09

01-23-2013

You're rather rude.

You can't outright condemn my preferences, that's no differen't than saying "That's stupid" to me saying "I wish there was a game where heroes could work in multiple ways". More over you really don't have much to go off of to come to any justifiable conclusion about why my ideal game wouldn't work when I haven't spent any time describing it past simple paraphrasing and spontaneous examples.

Moreover you find the need to fight my simple statements of what I wouldpersonally like to see las if it's condemning your design, which you biasly purport as if its flawless and flippantly dismiss my preferences for a MOBA environment as stupid, which to me wreaks of arrogance.

Theoretical argumentation can't be concluded as being right or wrong without actually testing it no matter how superior you think your comprehension of design is there will always be more than one way for a game type to be played and successfully.

That's by far the most irritating thing you could do is declare something wrong, which you had no foreknowledge of before today, and more importantly you have a microscopic 3 paragraph paraphrasing of what it would be. In other words you have no justifiable context with which to say my idea is stupid in so many more words than necessary because that's all you did, was say my opinion was wrong and yours right.

I can't imagine that you would in anyway reasonably consider proper gameplay changes for League of Legends with the attitude you have for my theoretical dream game.

As I re-read what you've written multiple times I can only conclude you're way to stuck up in your own head.

Quote:
My kits are unified, whether that means in focus or flexibility. If you have any evidence to the contrary, I'd love to hear it.
Why would I do that?

This implies you think I in someway implied they aren't when I quite clearly said I don't like your game design in comparison to what I would see as an ideal situation for MY personal preferences. Not that your design wouldn't work.

I don't who that guy is on page 34 but he's right about one thing you do have a "Me vs Those who don't say my idea is their favorite idea." mentality.

Fact of life: One size fits all only applies to gloves, and even then they don't always fit right.

Lolkis

01-23-2013

http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/37103744

Merry Mad is a real account and not actually an Itemsguy sock puppet.

ItemsGuy

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horasu View Post
Now hold on. I didn't even intend on posting again, but I think you are blaming others that are not me. I do not even know of the people you are talking about. I am entirely independent and that post was entirely an independent process. I apologize for anyone blamed for my actions.

Finally, one last note. I do not think it's a bad thing to bring up what transpires on a public forum. For one thing, it's much better than a private blog. For another, you have sent in an application to join Riot. If you were making your own game, then yes, I would have ignored you and/or brought it up privately.

However, you might join Riot. That means, if you join, then the direction you want to take the game directly affects me and everyone else in this thread, and more. That is the only reason I would bring this up publicly. This affects everyone reading this.
Like I said, the changes I wish to bring would occur outside of League of Legends as it exists. This is priority, and even if Riot threw infinite money at me at I had godlike mastery of every aspect of game design, I wouldn't make even the most minor of changes to League as it currently stands. In fact, it's quite possible that I'll never make these changes at all.

The important thing that stands is that I am here for champion design. I'm not limited to redesigning the champs, but creating champions of my own--I'm here to bring kick-ass experiences to players, and original content is probably how that'll happen for the first 4-6 years at Riot. While I'd prefer having things not be a hodge-podge of what I consider to be fitting standards of good design and things I don't, that's not really something for me to decide.

Also, speaking of original champions, I'm really confused as to who this "MerryMad" is. I've spoken to all of my friends on Skype asking if it's a smurf, but they've all said no.

MerryMad, if you could please explain things to me, that would be great! It's not that I don't want it to look like I'm grasping at straws and making smurfs that agree with me, I'm also genuinely confused and this will probably keep me up at night.

MerryMad

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolkis View Post

Excuse me?

ItemsGuy

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolkis View Post

I am really confused!

I hope things can be straightened out right away, so this thread can remain on-topic. As much as I enjoy personal growth through the discovery and analysis of personal flaws, I'm not quite sure if this is the way to do it.

EDIT:

@MerryMad

The confusion probably stems from the fact that I designed a champion with the same exact name.

Lolkis