FPS Drop?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BlckInfi

Recruiter

06-19-2013

This just started happening today.

Would start a normal game on summoners rift. My fps is usually around the 50-70 mark. Everything is fine, then about 5 to 10 min into game, my fps drops to 20 fluctuates between 10-20 fps. When I cmd + tab to a diff. screen and return back to lol, my fps raised but to around 25-30. Dk if this is a macbook problem or if its LoL.

Hopefully I can get some help on this, makes it difficult to play ranked play.

btw, it seems my computer works fine outside of league.

Brentmeister

Associate Software Engineer

06-20-2013
1 of 2 Riot Posts

This sounds like it potentially be a heat issue. Is your computer really hot during these times? (careful they can get really hot! I've burned myself on a macbook before)

Mike4Real

06-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotBrentmeister View Post
This sounds like it potentially be a heat issue. Is your computer really hot during these times? (careful they can get really hot! I've burned myself on a macbook before)
Is this the part where you tell him to put freeze pops under his computer?

MadBrok

06-22-2013

I've had this same issue since the client launched. On iLoL I was running very high at 90fps, computer heated up but only at a rate of what you'd expect from gaming.

Riot client can only run at very low everything 60fps and computer struggles. I'm sure this is just because the client is new and will be improved over time though

DravenGatekeeper

06-23-2013

It's the client it's an issue present on all macs I've use the client on iMac MacBook Pro Mac Pro all the same issue with fps however idk why but on my dev computer it has OSX 10.9 beta it does not have any issues maby because OpenGL 4 support?

BlckInfi

Recruiter

06-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotBrentmeister View Post
it does get hot, but it has been like this ever since I had the macbook in 2010. ( not just gaming, but sometimes steaming, or higher usage of the mac ) It just started happening recently. At first i thought it was my internet connection, but tried different connections and its the same thing. If I restart my client and jump into a game, the first 5-15 min are fine. But, after that my fps drops and i adjusted my video settings from before and still same result. I'll look into overheating or replacing a fan or even cleaning out my macbook, but it just seemed weird to that this just started to happen the other day.

BlckInfi

Recruiter

06-25-2013

I think I have found the problem.

I had vertical sync on for some reason and turned it off. Seems im not dropping in fps anymore. But I am still experiencing lower fps than usual. I saw better fps with the vertical sync on. What does vertical sync ctually do? Also, when I turned off vertical sync, my sensitivity of my mouse became more touchy.

Brentmeister

Associate Software Engineer

06-26-2013
2 of 2 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlckInfi View Post
I think I have found the problem.

I had vertical sync on for some reason and turned it off. Seems im not dropping in fps anymore. But I am still experiencing lower fps than usual. I saw better fps with the vertical sync on. What does vertical sync ctually do? Also, when I turned off vertical sync, my sensitivity of my mouse became more touchy.
Thanks for coming back on this. Turning V-Sync off will provide better framerates. Basically V-Sync limits the game's FPS to the refresh rate of your monitor.

Try fixing your mouse by going to "More Options" and turning off "software mouse".

BlckInfi

Recruiter

07-02-2013

update.

I was experiencing lower fps rates that i wanted.
Decided to buy 2gb more of ram ( from 4-6 ). Tremendously helps.
Boosted my fps a little, and I can use more while playing league.
Ik this is a common and simple fix, but if ppl have the extra 40 -100$ laying around, its worth to upgrade the macbook. I want 8, but that will have to wait for now.

Thanks for all the help Brentmeister

Mirror

07-03-2013

Increasing the RAM in your computer will often increase the memory available to your integrated graphics hardware. That shouldn't have a large impact on thermal throttling, though - are you still seeing sporadic jumps from ~70 to ~30 FPS?

Either way, congratulations for finding a workaround.