Ranked Rating Confusion.....

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xerodyn

01-17-2013

I have only played 5 ranked games so far and after that you get your first ranked rating update. Upon checking my profile it shows I have 4 wins and 1 loss in ranked, but my rating is 1139 what bull is that don't you start at 1200? how could 1 loss counter 4 wins that hard?

NeoLlama

01-17-2013

you were soft reset you had a low elo from season 2

WaeTonyWae

01-17-2013

New Elo System too strong? Probably should've waited for the New System to finished being placed. :P
Edit: Yeah. Soft Reset, if you played Ranked in Season 2. Your Elo may have been low.

Xerodyn

01-17-2013

soft reset? wtf does that mean

WaeTonyWae

01-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerodyn View Post
soft reset? wtf does that mean
Did you play Ranked Last Season?

If so, your

Old Elo + 1200 / 2 = Your Current Elo without placement matches.

Hard Reset = You start at 1200 again.

If you didnt play in Season 2, Idanna.

Xerodyn

01-17-2013

that is borderline the dumbest policy ever why should i be punished for playing bad last season when i spent all that time learning how to play better...

BludShade

01-17-2013

The idea is you keep about your same elo during this season, but are given the ability (through the placement matches that give way more elo for wins) to get up in ranking. Even with a hard reset, I do not think it would start at 1200. If anything, it would start at 1100 or 1000. If they hard reset to 1200, they would be giving everyone a free silver elo.

Hope that makes sense, just trying to help.

NeoLlama

01-17-2013

if you got better you just keep playing and your elo goes up. it's not like having a sub 1200 elo gives you a hard ceiling.

Xerodyn

01-17-2013

yea but my friend just started playing fresh ranked for first time and is now 1400 with 13 wins and 11 losses.... how is that fair he is 200 elo higher than me and he is average

BludShade

01-17-2013

It may seem unfair, but at the same time, think of this as a sports ranking for instance. Since you played last season, you were projected to be at around the same "rank" with the soft reset. But because it is a new season, your first 10 games ( the placement matches) give you the ability to gain or lose a lot of elo.

Because your friend who just started playing was given the start elo of whatever it was changed to now, if he won many of his first 10 games, he could have been boosted up to 1400.

Once you play 5 more games, and hit the end of your placements, if you belong at the higher elo, your W/L should reflect that. if you win your next 3/5 you should be around 1250 if not higher.