Flash Needs a Nerf

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

D3F1L3

01-25-2013

I know this doesn't belong here, but it also doesn't belong under item discussions either so I just flipped a coin.

So I think the flash summoner spell needs a nerf. I mean when 10 out of 10 games in a row show 10 out of 10 players running flash regardless of what champ/position they are playing that means one of two things:

1) There is a glitch in the summoner spell choosing system.

2) That spell is so powerful that playing without it is as stupid as a build with no boots.

I mean if all 10 players regardless of what champ/position they were playing all bought the same boots in their final build in 10 out of 10 straight games (that's 100 out of 100 players), what would that say about the other available boot options? It would say that there's a serious power differential that needs to be addressed.

I'm just not sure exactly what should be done about flash. Personally I think it weakens the champs with built in escapes (Ez, Cait) vs similar champs without them (Ash, Twich) and that's kind of the point of having some champs be built weaker and given escapes and other champs be stronger without escapes. There's a trade off and flash is ruining that.

Also, with the introduction of all these wards, aren't jungle ganks hard enough for champs that can't bypass wards (Olaf, Xin) compared to those that can (Nocturne, Panth)? With flash not only is it near to impossible for jungle to get the element of surprise, but now they have to gank each lane twice: once to make the other team blow flash and then once for an actual kill.

I just think that Flash is watering down the game by making every build incorporate that one identical trick. Tanks flash, Supports flash, ADCs flash, Mid's flash, Jungles flash, Tops flash. If it's that important, why not just give every champ a flash button just like how we don't need to buy scrolls to blue pill anymore?

Thoughts?

~D

Galgus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-25-2013

Without flash, there would be a massive power gap between champions with and without natural escapes, which would make thing more difficult to balance.

Anyway, Rioters have gone more in depth on this than I am willing to- try to hunt down one of the old Flash threads where they talked about it.

Shiftless

01-25-2013

Umm no flash will stay unless you want ADCs with built in escapes to dominate adcs without?

Flash makes the game better not worst don't try to nerf something that has been nerf 1,000 times...

Adrian Umbra

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-25-2013

It would be best in GD section. However, there is no way to nerf flash more than it already has been, simply due to its high cooldown and fairly low range. I've also been playing since S1 and can honestly say that Flash has become a LOT less popular. In those days, you were stupid if you didn't take flash. Period. Now there are junglers who take Smite/Exhaust or Smite/Ghost. There are top laners who take Ghost/Ignite or Ghost/Teleport. The variety of summoner spells since S1 or the beginning of S2 is staggering.

You'll also notice that champs with built in escapes are still outrageously popular, especially those who rely on positioning such as ADCs. Ezrael is the most popular champ in the game right now. Graves, Corki, and Caitlyn have dominated the ADC meta for the longest time now. They don't have to burn a four minute cooldown summoner spell to get out of sticky situation like an Ashe or MF would.

Junglers are actually one of the roles that are okay with flash. If you burn a flash, gank well done. Your laner now has a good advantage. If you burn a flash and get a kill, that's double the advantage. Also, don't forget that you have a flash as well quite often. They flash, you flash too.

Anto1

01-25-2013

Flash needs to stay and then if that happend how would the Ashe and Twitch escape? It wouldn't be fair at all..How would mid get away from Leblanc?

Cretinok

01-25-2013

No, we dont need Ezreal played more than he already is.

Fabulous Gaymer

01-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cretinok View Post
No, we dont need Ezreal played more than he already is.
^Agreed!

Flash is annoying and yes, it's kind of rediculous how often it's 10 of 10 with it. Without the spell though 90 out of 109(?) champs would never be played because they have no way to survive ganks.

You have to look at it as a double edged sword I guess. With flash more people get away and upset you. Without flash those people are upset because you succeeded on camping mid and killing them over and over.

People upset because of flash or people upset because there is no flash.

D3F1L3

01-25-2013

kk

So everyone agrees that Flash needs to stay. What about treating it like they treated DOTA's Scroll of Town Portal? Now everyone just has a button for recalling for free. Should they just give everyone flash as an innate and free up a summoner spell slot since everyone (even Ez and other champs with natural escapes) are taking it anyway?

BTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Umbra View Post
Now there are junglers who take Smite/Exhaust or Smite/Ghost. There are top laners who take Ghost/Ignite or Ghost/Teleport.
I'm not sure what game you're playing but I'd like to know the ratios you're talking about. One player out of 100 taking smite/ghost does not make a trend. Hell, even one player per game (10% of all players) still does not invalidate my claim that flash is obviously too powerful because most players clearly don't feel safe playing without it.

~D

Anto1

01-25-2013

Nah everything is fine.

TasogareReiken

01-25-2013

The problem is that without Flash champions with natural flashes would suddenly dominate the entire game.