The story of LoL PVP turning into WoW PVP

12345 ... 9
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

InertBlowfish

02-21-2013

I'll start with a hypothetical (which very often is the reality):

My opponent builds HP.

His ratios are high enough that he does enough damage to me that my damage is negligible compared to his health, even when I build more damage.

What are my options?

Build resistances? Hmm, I could try. But he could build penetration cheaply.

Build items that help me escape? Hmm, I could try. But chances are he will have some kind of utility to slow me down or catch up again anyway.

Build more health, and hope my ratios are higher and/or I have more cc? Sounds like my only viable options.

Creativity at its best.

TL;DR at the bottom.

You deleted items like green flask because you didn't want 'ADC's snowballing', in your very words.

Yet now they can build a warmogs or a mallet, and make the enemy ADC obsolete in one item when they're ahead.

There is no counter play to HP other than building HP.

Yes Riot, I understand you want more prolonged sustain-y fights because it's more entertaining to watch than a 4 second stomp fight like in season two in the hand of a pro.

But this game is quickly turning into World of Warcraft PVP which, when I quit that game (after wrath of the lich king), was dominated by the likes of frost mages or warriors that can keep you locked down by an endless chain of stuns/snares/roots/silences or simply beat you to death by means of high HP and self sustaining.

It's not fun at that point.

Sure, I could roll a warrior or a mage. But I don't want to.

Because it isn't fun.

It makes me feel cheap knowing that I have to roll a certain way to do well.

Just like I have to roll a champ with at least one CC move or a champ that has decent ratios and works well stacking HP now, just to be able to play the game.

Hell, you even changed the interface now because HP stacking is so prevalent past 3k HP. Your health bar now counts thousands of health instead of hundreds.

Yes, I know this looks like another rant from some uninformed GD goer, but this is the very reason that me and my friends all quit WoW within a few months of each other.

I don't want a game of relative skill turn into a game of cookie cutter builds and optimal champions/team comps.

TL;DR If the game keeps going the way it's going now; down the narrow track of 'whoever has the most HP/CC' wins (just like WoW did), then I, for one, am certainly going to be switching to a new game very soon.

Thanks for reading, and feel free to comment.

Oh well, with the amount of downvotes I'm getting the thread will be closed soon.

Good luck, Riot.

You'll need it.

EDIT: I wasn't trying to stir anyone up here, guys. I was trying to facilitate some serious discussion. In hindsight I shouldn't have made the comparison to WoW, as there are obviously some strong feelings about that game and I'm sorry.

RandomSummoner37

02-21-2013

TL;DR

+ the games aren't even comparable

SlVIR

02-21-2013

so glad this guy will never be on a design team ever in his life

DaenerysTargaren

02-21-2013

There has always and always will be a cookie cutter build and best build. The only thing that changes is defensive items based on if they are ap heavy or ad heavy meaning you need less mr or armor respectively. Every game always has a best build so this is kinda pointless for you to argue about.

FDru

02-21-2013

You forgot the "build more lifesteal and profit off of their lack of resists" option.

Rasako

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-21-2013

ive played a warrior for 7 years and I can safely say that theyre garbage in pvp until they get ALL of their gear, unless they got insanely buffed in the past 6 months since I quit that pile of garbage for good

JunkRamen

02-21-2013

WoW intentionally made defenses more valuable in PvP because organized team PvP in vanilla would've almost entirely been about burst damage and invulnerability. We saw this at the beginning of WotLK arena. In both cases it was designed that way on purpose.

I don't remember reading anything about Riot purposefully making bruisers the best role in the game by far via itemization. They wanted to make itemization more interesting, not buff the living hell out of a role that was already performing well in S2.

InertBlowfish

02-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDru View Post
You forgot the "build more lifesteal and profit off of their lack of resists" option.
Lifesteal won't save you when the enemy team each have a stun/slow/snare.

InertBlowfish

02-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luscious Lenny View Post
so glad this guy will never be on a design team ever in his life
Ah, the worst kind of poster.

The insult thrower that doesn't bother to construct an actual argument.

baD GRAMMER

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-21-2013

"TL;DR" is TL;DR.

12345 ... 9