Iceborn Gauntlet's Bonus Damage

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Randomcivilian0

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-16-2013

Why does Iceborn Gauntlet deal physical damage rather than magical damage? Most people who would want to build it - barring Ezreal - are tanks which deal primarily magical damage. Is there any specific reason for this, or is it just a holdover from building from Sheen?

JustMyBassCannon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-16-2013

Probably for damage limitation to tanks. Don't want them to have defense AND damage, they'll just repeat S1 Jax.

ROOOOOAST

01-16-2013

This item isnt made for tank.... Its for all champ who could use sheen well, but not the zeal/phage (more often the zeal). They wont change it, because 41% of the time this item is on ezreal, or like 5-10% on nid, and both are not tank

(Stat taken from lolking.net

67chrome

01-16-2013

I'd say most of it has to do with it simply modifying an auto-attack into a sudo-critical strike like thing. Just from the game-mechanics side, it makes sense to be physical in nature.

Most of the tanks and bruisers that pick it up tend to be in that fuzzy spot were you aren't sure if they should be classified as AD or AP anyways. Like Alistar, Blitzcrank and Malphite. I'm never sure what damage attributes to stack on them - they can really go either way. I feel a little bad for Shen's inability to put the mana to use, as he's really one of those tanks - and Iceborn Gauntlet offers a lot of mana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROOOOOAST View Post
This item isnt made for tank.... Its for all champ who could use sheen well, but not the zeal/phage (more often the zeal). They wont change it, because 41% of the time this item is on ezreal, or like 5-10% on nid, and both are not tank

(Stat taken from lolking.net
I'm like, 95% sure it was called the "tank sheen" in development. And I'm fairly sure it wasn't designed with the likes of Alistar and Malphite in mind much more-so than Ezreal. It's not like Riot can tell which champions end up picking it up all the time before it's released either.

TealNinje

01-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chrome View Post
I'm like, 95% sure it was called the "tank sheen" in development. And I'm fairly sure it wasn't designed with the likes of Alistar and Malphite in mind much more-so than Ezreal. It's not like Riot can tell which champions end up picking it up all the time before it's released either.
The first thing I thought of when I saw Iceborn Gauntlets was "Ezreal."

ROOOOOAST

01-16-2013

Well, if ur going tank , whats the difference of it doing physical or magical dmg? Ok ok, there is more armor than mr, BUT for adc ezreal it change a whole lot of things.

And when u talk about doing magic dmg, you talk about having the same passive that deal magic dmg or a passive that would look like the lich bane one, with an ap ratio??