Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Thresh, Blitz 2.0

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Calarrow

Recruiter

01-16-2013

Thresh has great cc and an interesting passive, but no sustain for his laning partner, just like Blitz. However with a shield, a slow, and an extra escape for his ally, he might be the next best support, maybe he'll be on the top 6 bans in ranked games. All I know is I really wanna see those two pull each other. So how well do you think Thresh fairs?

orakio

01-16-2013

I am sure you know that by level 11 most champions have gained more than 30 armor out of their passive armor/level gains. You know... that thing that Thresh doesn't get.

As a matter of fact, his passive is pretty much just a little free AP on a champ with mediocre AP ratio's for a large chunk of the game if you aren't good at collecting souls. If it wasn't for the interaction of souls with his Q it would be an underwhelming mechanic, and TBH i would much rather he got armor/mr out of the passive than armor/ap.

That being said, curious to see how he plays out in the competetive scene because that lantern throw is unique and he seems like a nice counterpick to blitz. His abilities have some inherent weaknesses to them, notably extremely long cooldowns on pretty much everything except E, and he isn't quite as dangerous with the grabs at blitz is. He could have some nice zone control in teamfights, and he should help other tanky allies initiate or squishies disengage as well so it seems like he has nice utility. The question is, is he strong enough as a support in lane to help his ADC win the lane, and does his utility continue effectively enough through lategame.

blackkat101

01-16-2013

You also know that Thresh does not gain any Armor per Level like a normal champion. Meaning for a level 18 Thresh to have the same Armor as any other champion at level 18, he needs to collect between 80-100 souls (depending on the champion that you compare him to). Other than that though, once you start collecting more than 100 souls, he starts to gain more stats, but depending on the length of the game and whether you're playing against intelligent opponents who will are trying to zone you out from collecting said souls, the games can become a bit more unpredictable.

But that's just a quick two cents from me on the souls part. I still personally like the soul collecting. I find it a fun mechanic and don't see any need to change what they already have on Thresh.

- Kat

MahogonyMan

01-16-2013

I more see Thresh as a dominate AD Carry over a support. His E applies magic damaged based on souls and XXX% of total AD (Depending on what level the skill happens to be and the charge amount and the time of an attack) and by late game he is dealing a high amount of Magic damage and AD damage at the same time (Depending on ones build of course), and depending on how good you can harvest he has a reasonable amount of armor to stand up to the enemy AD carry

Malsvir

01-16-2013

Quote:
MahogonyMan:
I more see Thresh as a dominate AD Carry over a support. His E applies magic damaged based on souls and XXX% of total AD (Depending on what level the skill happens to be and the charge amount and the time of an attack) and by late game he is dealing a high amount of Magic damage and AD damage at the same time (Depending on ones build of course), and depending on how good you can harvest he has a reasonable amount of armor to stand up to the enemy AD carry
that is the passive of his Q just to clear that up

Calarrow

Recruiter

01-17-2013

Quote:
orakio:
I am sure you know that by level 11 most champions have gained more than 30 armor out of their passive armor/level gains. You know... that thing that Thresh doesn't get.

As a matter of fact, his passive is pretty much just a little free AP on a champ with mediocre AP ratio's for a large chunk of the game if you aren't good at collecting souls. If it wasn't for the interaction of souls with his Q it would be an underwhelming mechanic, and TBH i would much rather he got armor/mr out of the passive than armor/ap.

That being said, curious to see how he plays out in the competetive scene because that lantern throw is unique and he seems like a nice counterpick to blitz. His abilities have some inherent weaknesses to them, notably extremely long cooldowns on pretty much everything except E, and he isn't quite as dangerous with the grabs at blitz is. He could have some nice zone control in teamfights, and he should help other tanky allies initiate or squishies disengage as well so it seems like he has nice utility. The question is, is he strong enough as a support in lane to help his ADC win the lane, and does his utility continue effectively enough through lategame.

Well don't I feel stupid. Sorry didn't know he didn't have regular armor/level gains, I've basically just been playing against other Thresh supports. Anyway, I agree that his lack of cooldowns hurt him in supporting, as well as the lack of sustain, but providing an extra escape for the carry while managing to keep champions away from him/her will be a great asset to having him as a support, basically junglers are going to find bot lane a bit harder to gank. I believe he performs best with ADC's that aren't that squishy, have decent burst, and something to snipe the Champions who escape Thresh's pull with low health. Graves or Kog for example. Thanks for the input all, I appreciate it!