Nami: Her biggest problems remain unresolved.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HearshotKDS

01-16-2013

Just like the title says, the upcoming buffs to her are nice, but I feel they are going in the wrong direction.

They are improving her MS, her Q's cooldown at low ranks, and her ults travel speed.

Before the patch, her biggest problems were:

-Passive too weak.
-Her E graphic isn't noticable enough to be used effectively by the recipient.

-Ult perhaps too situational?

The incoming patch doesn't do anything about her passive or her E. If instead of changing cooldowns and Nami's MS they had just done: "Fishy buff now has a more noticeable graphic." I think it would have had a much bigger impact on what is either the biggest, or second biggest, complaint about the character.

"It's easy to complain, why don't you try making a suggestion to fix the problem instead of whining on the forums?"

Instead of a tiny little swirl of water and a small singe fish, replace the graphic with Naut's ult's "depth charge water explosion" except scale it down to character size. Then, perhaps make the fish stick around for the duration, much like Pix. That way, the recipient of the buff see's: "Holy balls something was just casted on me." Then he sees the fish friend and goes: "Oh yeah Nami has some sort of buff that helps my AA. I should do some AA's before the fish goes away!"

Why this is a good change: It doesn't change her skills ceilings, it just raises the floor. As of now, you pretty much have to be on voice chat and yelling "FISH BUFF GO HARASS NAO" for the recipient to notice it's on them. I don't see the point on having an ability that's coremechanic is: "Recipient (note: often not you) notices small graphics on his hero and reacts in a 5 second window." That's not a rewarding mechanic. The low duration on it's slow is ok. The low time duration is ok. The 3 AA limit is ok. It's probably the hardest offensive buff to get full use out of, but some skill has to be the hardest. What's not OK is it's the hardest offensive buff to *notice*. That's not ok, and I would hazard a guess that wasnt an intentional design feature either.

Compare fish buffs graphic to other offensive use support buffs:
-Kayle's ult- Giant yellow orb around your character, easy to identify duration, function, and recipient.
-Janna's AD shield- Giant grey orb around your character as well as change to the HP bar (grey bars). Easy to identify recipient and duration.
-Help! Pix- Pix floats around you, change in particle effects, change in HP bar (grey bars). Easy to identify function, duration, and recipient.
-Soraka's heals armor buff- Giant yellow runic circle around your feet. Easy to identify function, and recipient.
-Nunu's bloodboil- Persistent red glow on hands. Easy to identify function, duration, and recipient.

Then we have Nami fish buff- A small splash, followed by a fish that shows up and quickly disappears. Not only is this buff the easiest to miss, it's also the hardest to identify duration and function. Whereas many buffs make it obvious of their function- IE a big orb around my feet or hero scream "something protecting me somehow" or a little imp shooting lazers at my target when I also shoot says "something helping me hit stuff". A splash of water and a fish that does nothing doesn't tell me anything about the function or it's duration. There is a small splash effect on the target, but your attack particle isnt changed. The fish himself doesn't shoot water and even if he did he fades way before the end of the buff, and the buff is only 5 seconds anyway...

TLDR: Make fish buff more noticeable. And if you're feeling extra nice- make it a little more obvious that it has a short duration and that its an offensive buff.

sepetaiya

01-16-2013

good post. Nami as is does not compare to other supports as her skillshots are so hard to land and her skill cap is so much higher than ops like taric. Riot knows this and the buffs will only do her good.

Octavice

01-16-2013

I play a lot of Nami and I'll agree that the passive almost feels useless. I love Nami's Bubble and Ebb and Flow, it really helps guarantee kills. I love her feel of being an aggressive support at the moment but I would love the most would be if her ult didn't go on CD if it never casted!
:P But this is one opinion of many.

CerealBoxOfDoom

01-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by HearshotKDS View Post
-Passive too weak.
-Her E graphic isn't noticable enough to be used effectively by the recipient.

-Ult perhaps too situational?
Her passive is stronk
Her E is fin
Her ult is situational but its a situational that can be forced pretty easy

Silkdawn

01-16-2013

I didnt read the full post there, but E and the passive is her major downers. WTF RIOT?!

GioHG

01-16-2013

How is her ult situational? It's a giant CC.

Silkdawn

01-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioHG View Post
How is her ult situational? It's a giant CC.
A CC that is spotted miles away and one you can walk out of in a frisky jog without breaking sweat. More of a zone control than CC.

GioHG

01-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdawn View Post
A CC that is spotted miles away and one you can walk out of in a frisky jog without breaking sweat. More of a zone control than CC.
OK, so if it's a zone control, is still useful for most situations.

GurkenMAN

01-16-2013

Agree completely with the OP.

Except maybe for the ulti. Thats fine imo

HearshotKDS

01-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioHG View Post
OK, so if it's a zone control, is still useful for most situations.
I agree with that, and the reason I didn't talk about it or bold it in the OP is because I think it was fine prepatch and is even better now. By situational, I was thinking in terms of even though it has huge range, it's actual uses as a long range initiate are pretty limited, and with good reason. It's still an excellent close range/counter initiate, a good fight turner once people are engaged and arent free to just move around it, probably the 2nd best disengage ult in the game, and a pretty devastating "sneak attack" if you can hit it from the fog of war/out of unexpected angles during lane phase.