Support: the "undesired" role

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Strilter

01-17-2013

ive noticed that now there are less and less bot sustain lanes... at least in normals because I am w8ting a bit to do ranked (till i can play at least 2 of every roll decently. but anyway it looks like in general sustain lanes are giving way to agressive cc/tanky bot comps ... could be why more people "think" they can play support...

i prefer it because although mechanically i'm decent as far as last hitting goes if i were to play something like AD i find that I am better than alot of the people i get stuck with at initiating fights or peeling for my ADC or AP caster.

when im thinking about which one I want for a match I look at the ADC im supporting the jungler and how much CC my team has and i fill in whatever I think is most needed hence why you might see a support nautilus if there is no cc on the team or a raka if there is enough CC but little sustain. but all of the supports that Ive seen l8tly are for their aoe ults, heals, or pushing ability

Devious Rogue

01-17-2013

Good supports carry. Good ADC/Top/Mid/Jungle carries more easily and more often.

WhoopsiGoldburg

01-17-2013

I like aggressive non sustain supports blitz leona taric ect. With baby sitter supports you can still make plays but, its kinda hard as opposed to blitz and leona punishing anybody who steps out of position.

Both of the carries are going to be bad if its low elo but, if im the better support we have a much higher chance of winning

Minos157

01-17-2013

Aggressive Janna changes games.

Her ulti heals? I don't care I'm using flash ulti to push that carry right into my team.

Sereg Anfaug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian217 View Post

In solo queue relying on your teammates to be great isn't always the best strategy.
The words of a player who probably believes in elo hell.

The odds that you are the best player on your team are roughly 1 in 5. Conversely, these are also the odds that you are the worst player on your team. If that's the case, you pretty much have to rely on your teammates, not to be great, but to be competent enough to carry you.

This means that the attitude of "I'm the only one on this team who's going to be remotely competent, so I'm going to play a carry, and everyone else be damned" is a really terrible way to go.

As far as supports being able to carry games, I have done it before - had a game as Blitzcrank where only myself and the jungler were remotely competent, and the solo lanes and adc were hopeless(one of those games where we were the top 2 - not a good assumption to make before a game starts, but safe enough once it's underway). Luckily, it being low elo, the opposing team was equally hopeless, and with plays from the jungler and grabs from me, we were able to feed our teammates the kills they needed to win.

Anyway, whether you think support is a necessary role or not, the fact is that it's part of the current meta, and unless you're part of a premade 5 running countermeta strats, you're going to have supports in your games. Might as well have players who specialize in that role, just like any other.

Qsario

01-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minos157 View Post
Aggressive Janna changes games.

Her ulti heals? I don't care I'm using flash ulti to push that carry right into my team.
Loads of fun. I pushed Ashe into our turret last night. Also pinned two people to the wall via ulti (Vayne also condemned one) so that we got a double kill off of that dive and both lived.

And soloed an Ez who thought he could take me out in spite of having no HP, low mana and no lifesteal.

Ippii

01-17-2013

Most people don't understand that support main job isn't to ward (which is everyone secondary duty) it's to utilize their skills support their team.
where a fight is usually decided in the first 3 seconds, what's better then to have the enemy adc spend that as a squirrel?

Minos157

01-17-2013

If people (ADC's in particular) learned why support champs are what they are (Raka/sustain, janna/global move speed, taric/armor shred etc.) they would understand support is more than warding.

Bugog

01-17-2013

The winner of the bottom lane is determined by the teamwork and skill of the carry and support together, and a good jungle gank or two is just icing on the cake. Barring a huge discrepancy in skill, the carry and support have to work together to feed the ADC while minimizing deaths. The big difference is that a carry is much more obvious when they're playing really well, while a support just serves up kills on a silver platter.

I really enjoy playing supports, but outside of a select few that have team fight changing AoE CC I find that they seem to fall off hard late. An example of this is my favorite support, karma.

marziparzi

01-18-2013

One reason why supports are underplayed is cuz they aren't as action intensive. I now disagree. I realize that in late game, supports are as hard as any other role because you have so many active spells to worry about in addition to having proper positioning as not to die (since u are likely pretty squishy). For example, a lot of the times I have shurelyas, shard of true ice, mikaels crucible, and randuins(if i'm going tanky). Those are a ton of situational active spells that u have to truly practice a lot to master when to use them.