Support: the "undesired" role

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kenshin

01-16-2013

Iv'e never played support, guess I have to try it

zliplus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-16-2013

I main support as well, but I see the opposite effect: I can sometimes barely play support any more because there are often others who want it (esp multiple others), and I'll often give way to fill. Even more oddly, sometimes the people that specifically request support seem to have no idea how to play it nor have specialized setups.

til Days of Blue

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-16-2013

Nothing hurts a support main more than bad AD

However, most AD are carriable, and the support is often the main factor that decide the bottom lane, especially during early game.

Qsario

01-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExecutionerKen View Post
Nothing hurts a support main more than bad AD

However, most AD are carriable, and the support is often the main factor that decide the bottom lane, especially during early game.
Absolutely. Someone with good peel (or sustain) can keep their ADC alive and in lane, even if they overextend or trade poorly. You can't fix their farm, but some supports (e.g. Leona) can all but force-feed kills to a halfway-competent ADC.

I know, because I'm a terrible ADC. But I have quite a few support main friends and they've carried me and kept me from feeding in a lane where I was clearly worse than the enemy ADC, but they were clearly better than the enemy support.

AlethiaArete

01-16-2013

I am actually thinking about starting to main support too. There was a time when I played a lot of support and enjoyed it, though I stopped playing support so much when I starting running into tons carries that just weren't.

But then there is always some kind of problem: with ADC, you're fragile and your group often won't be able to or won't care to protect you. AP mid, you can't really knock down towers and are often fragile. Top is a bit better.

But yeah. Recently I played some Soraka games, one of which I was definatly able to hold the team together through some situations with heals, auras, and item active abilities. Unfortuantly my teams seem to mostly think that wards are beneath them except for sometimes baron or dragon wards, and so even when I get sightstone there are never really enough wards to provide decent tracking of enemy movements.

I swear, if people stopped for even 10 minutes to think through some things we'd all be a lot better off.

I think I might be more of a "big picture" player too.

Elodin

01-16-2013

I like the idea of supporting with the new masteries, however I'm not a fan of traditional supports that cast one or two spells and then are useless for the remainder of the team fight.

I want to try either Lux or Nidalee with heavy gold generation runes/masteries/items so I can still buy damage items and wards. Not sure if it'd work though.

Nightwhite3

01-16-2013

I personally love playing support. I started playing support because I would argue to get adc but then I realized how awesome support is. You dont have to kill minions, almost all support items give health/armor so you dont die much and I find a lot of pleasure in stunning the enemy adc to get mine fed. I still main adc but I accept the support role because I know how much it sucks to have a bad one.

Nightwhite3

01-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS183e69d4080426 View Post
-In reality, you're playing the role least necessary in a team...the role least likely to have an impact on a game.
Are you serious? With Sona you can cc the entire enemy team, taric and Leona both have stuns that can easily secure kills, shen can save a life from anywhere on the map, Zyra and Nami can knock up an entire enemy team and there's countless other advantages to having a support.

NorthenWolf

01-16-2013

i dont really care if i have to support or not, but im very good at it. and i know my team depends on it sometimes. so i always try my best.

Xian217

01-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxGDoctor View Post
Are you serious? With Sona you can cc the entire enemy team, taric and Leona both have stuns that can easily secure kills, shen can save a life from anywhere on the map, Zyra and Nami can knock up an entire enemy team and there's countless other advantages to having a support.
With Amumu you can CC the entire enemy team.
With Malphite you can knock up the entire enemy team.
Ahri and Rammus both have stuns that can easily secure kills.
You got me on the Shen thing, but isn't Shen top? Supports are given the least amount of gold flow, albeit it has gotten an increase, and are generally seen as just the warders, ccers, and babysitters. Most people don't like being supports because you are 100% at the mercy of your team doing well, while offering similar CC to a jungler, whilst still getting less gold than a jungler. You can make fantastic plays, and yes occasionally they can be game changing, but they aren't as powerful as a Carry.

In solo queue relying on your teammates to be great isn't always the best strategy.