Varus Change Suggestions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Valkyrie EXE

01-16-2013

Varus is one of the least played AD carries (According to lolking) and I want to suggest a rework of his ultimate that might help him see the Fields of Battle a bit more (especially in competitive play). Feel free to leave comments below or just give this a bump if you like it.

Change to his ult concept:
Reduce the immobilization time to 1 second and make it able bounce back to the same target but not able to root someone more than 2 times. I think this change fits Varus’s concept as well, as a kind of disease of vengeance that spreads upon the other team. This, I feel, will have more of an effect in team fights. It will affect more people without reducing or increasing the total immobilization time. Some damage balances may need to be worked out, base damage as well as blight procs. This change is not aimed at giving Varus more damage, but to give him something different (say from Ashe ult) utility-wise to bring to team fights.

Edit: Removed changed suggestion for his passive.

fletche00

01-16-2013

Good post, being a Varus Player since his release, I can tell you why this isnt good.

Passive. Did you know you can stack his passive on Minions and Kills/Assists? The Hurricane is one amazing item that helps you accomplish this. And the Kill/Assist lasts 6 seconds, where Minions is 3, but you still get 60% AS for 3 seconds, and in a teamfight w/ Hurricane, you will dominate all of them.

His Ultimate is just fine, you have to look at it like Ashe, it is a great initiation tool, or escape tool. Unless you go AP, you only use it/need it for the utility it provides.

I Break ADC down into 3 catagories, Combo, Spammer, Hyper,

Hyper - Vayne, Kog, Trist
Spammer - Corki, Ez, Draven
Combo - Varus, Sivir, Twitch

Now, not all ADC fit into one catagory sometimes (graves is a good example), but the point being, is that most of the Combo ADC did not really have a role in the meta. They relied heavily on their kit to win exchanges, and if you were thrown off on an ability, it was hard for you to come back on top (talking evenly fed 1v1). Riot realized this, and in response added Hurricane to help them hit their combo, Sivir does not get as much out of it, since she is more of a Counter Pick ADC, but Twich, Ashe and Varus all benefit immensely from that item. It allowed you to hit your passives with it on the entire team, so that you are still viable. If you play Varus, Twitch, just make sure you have a team behind you that can soak damage, and keep them occupied enough for you to land the passives and combo them down.

Timber

01-16-2013

i always thought no one used him because he went oom so quick

iPrecision

01-16-2013

Build Him like you would a teemo and take him mid. God that burst with the blight combo is amazing. Make sure to build a tear into manamune.

vtr Krr

01-16-2013

I think his passive needs a way longer duration. You should be able to keep the 20% buff up just by last hitting. 3 second duration is completely useless.

ChampAtog

01-16-2013

Varus hasn't been highly played over the past few days, this is true, however he has been winning a lot recently. He's performed in the top 4 of ranged AD champions this past week, behind Miss Fortune (who clearly needs a nerf) Sivir and Ezreal. Draven and Twitch are close behind him, but aside from them he outperforms the rest of the ranged ADs by a wide margin, in large part because of Runaan's Hurricane. Buffing him would be way too strong. I think he's fine where he is, he's just not flavor of the month, so only dedicated Varus players are playing him, this would explain both his high winrate and his low play rate. Give him time, people will realize how good hurricane is on him, he'll see more play, and probably a lower winrate.

Valkyrie EXE

01-16-2013

Haha, wow. I didn't realize that his passive stacked. How embarrassing. For some reason, when he was first released I read that his passive did NOT stack and I guess that always stuck with me and I never bothered to read it again. Sorry for that.
But regarding his ult. I would like to see the change enacted because the role of his ult is too much like Ashe's and I feel like it should bring something different to the table. The damage, I had also forgotten, does the same amount of damage when it spreads, of course, will have to be reworked as well, to decrease the damage of the spread. But it's ability to root multiple people is something that should be entertained, because at the current state, it is too easy to pull away from the ult. I think this will lead to some more interesting game play revolving around team fights in normal and competitive play.

Valkyrie EXE

01-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletche00 View Post
Good post, being a Varus Player since his release, I can tell you why this isnt good.

Passive. Did you know you can stack his passive on Minions and Kills/Assists? The Hurricane is one amazing item that helps you accomplish this. And the Kill/Assist lasts 6 seconds, where Minions is 3, but you still get 60% AS for 3 seconds, and in a teamfight w/ Hurricane, you will dominate all of them.

His Ultimate is just fine, you have to look at it like Ashe, it is a great initiation tool, or escape tool. Unless you go AP, you only use it/need it for the utility it provides.

I Break ADC down into 3 catagories, Combo, Spammer, Hyper,

Hyper - Vayne, Kog, Trist
Spammer - Corki, Ez, Draven
Combo - Varus, Sivir, Twitch

Now, not all ADC fit into one catagory sometimes (graves is a good example), but the point being, is that most of the Combo ADC did not really have a role in the meta. They relied heavily on their kit to win exchanges, and if you were thrown off on an ability, it was hard for you to come back on top (talking evenly fed 1v1). Riot realized this, and in response added Hurricane to help them hit their combo, Sivir does not get as much out of it, since she is more of a Counter Pick ADC, but Twich, Ashe and Varus all benefit immensely from that item. It allowed you to hit your passives with it on the entire team, so that you are still viable. If you play Varus, Twitch, just make sure you have a team behind you that can soak damage, and keep them occupied enough for you to land the passives and combo them down.

Regarding Runaan's Hurricane as an AD carry. Out of curiosity when do you get this item in your item build? So far, I have only seen this item as a sort of luxury item to be gotten as a 6th item to complete your build. As a second item (after BT or IE presumably) I do not see it as viable because of its lack of critical strike chance as well as movement speed increase compared to say Statikk Shiv or Phantom Dancer but, as I have not really gone into using this item as my core second item, I cannot really say, which is why I'm asking you.

fletche00

01-16-2013

In regards to your Post OP

If you rework Varus Ult, you need to rework Ashe ult, they are pretty much the same thing, I can see what you are saying about them being too similar, but you have to put ashe and varus in same class of ADC, and if it can jump back, people would be screaming OP, not to mention, it would have a massive draw back if it could do that. So what would you suggest?

Also, the Ult, can be opened with, or you wati for their group to tighten up, Ult them, and if you have an AOE ulter in your group, they will be more worried about getting out of your ult, then stopping the AP ult, either way, they are going to get messed up by one of you.

When to build hurrincane, when TF start, it is not a usefull item in lane, you should be focused on last hitting, and w/ the hurricane in lane, you will be forced to push your lane, which in turn, forces you to ward more often, and their mid/jungle will gank you like crazy. I build Varus like this

Boots + 3 pots > Doran > Vamp > IE > BT > PD > Hurricane > Situational (GA or QSS, LW only if tons of Armor since you scale AP w/ Ult/Blight, or BotRK)

DevilsDarkAngel

01-16-2013

I am a Varus player always have been and to be honest no Ashe's Ult and Varus's Ult are not the same. The only common ground that they have is that is stops enemy champs from moving. However unlike Ashe's Ult it doesn't stun them so even if they are bound if in range they can still attack you.

Differences, is that Ashe's Ult travels cross map and stuns for a long period, Varus's Ult is short range but can attack multiple but you can still out run it if not the primary target, and doesn't hold as long.

Its really hard playing with Varus because once you fall behind there is no coming back. He is slow, has long period of cooldowns, short range, really squishy, eats up alot of mana. I haven't found all the quirks with him yet, but it's really hard because he has so much that you have to try and balance. Your trying to work out speed, health, armor, cooldown reduction, attack damage, mana, attk speed, movement speed, etc.

There is just alot to cover even with runes and items. Don't get me wrong I love playing him and having a team that works with him but that's on rare occasion. I always get the "why Varus? he sucks" but its really half and half I have gone 20/6/9 with him but then I go 0/4/7 the next round. Its a literally a toss up. From speaking as a Varus player I think he needs to be tweeked a little to where there aren't so many things against him to make him not so difficult to work with.

And I also suggest more skins lol!! But that is how I feel about it... I only play as Varus and I really need to expand but I've been trying to make sure I understand more about him before going to another champ...

{by the way for some reason I can't agree to the summoner's code, I read it and I clicked el button but nothing happens it just stays there....}