Help With Jungle Tanks?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Buffalax

01-21-2013

Lately I've been trying to play jungle with Amumu and Maokai in ranked, since all too often no one else wants to pick a tank. I can't stop dying, though, and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips. I have 0/21/9 masteries, flat armor and scaling mr runes. I start with machete + 5 potions, build early boots and spirit stone, then go for boots of mobility or mercury treads followed by frozen heart or sunfire cape and some tanky ap item, at which point the lane phase is usually over. Up to this point, whenever I try to gank, it usually goes like this:

*I jump in with twisted advance/bandage toss, and my allies start attacking
*If the target doesn't die instantly, they run away, and we chase for a bit
*If my allies stop chasing, the target turns around and kills me

I'm not tower diving or anything; it's just that as Amumu with a frozen heart I always get focused down in about two seconds. Any idea what I should try to change about my play style?

FrazzledMelon

01-21-2013

Hard to say without seeing. Could be bad engages, or poor decisions on when to disengage, or your team is not taking advantage of your ult, not getting to their carries...

But it's not your build.

RightClickYou

01-21-2013

Don't engage with bandage toss, try to get yourself in the fight first. Once things start to happen, then try using your toss to stun the opponent.

The problem with starting the gank with bandage toss is your teammates usually won't make it there in time while the stun lasts.

When I play Amumu I max Q first (once I pick it at lvl 3) to get the CDR down asap.

workthecorners

01-21-2013

I dont play amumu but i play mao and do pretty well with him the only thing i could see is you have no MR i dont feel that Frozen Heart is a auto build. I usually build agis if the support dosnt plan too. Also i know amumu can start fights with his bandage toss ult combo but mao its better to let them come to you or let one of your team mates start the fight do to the fact if you twisted advance in then use your ult the other team can just fight outside it. I play more of a protective role rather then an agressive role (and i also play singed so sometimes its hard to change mindsets lol)

Also spirit visage is amazing on maokai for mr health and the healing buff on his passive

JayDunes

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-21-2013

i would personally go balls deep down the defencive tree if your going for those support tanks. because those two specifically dont have some kind of built in defence steroid (i.e the damage reduction from shen taunt, rammus ball, malph armor) that point for point the defence is worth more than say max mana at level 18

Zaphery

01-21-2013

I've also recently started playing more Amumu jungle.

I found what works for me is a little more ap burst damage in the early laning stages. I usually get one in bandage toss and max my w before I start adding to q. This way I tend to bring more damage when ganking.

Don't worry if you are dying too much. In my last two games as Amumu, I had my jungle countered really badly and I was really behind. However when team fights came around I would always initiate with bandage toss ulti and focus down their AP or AD carry. I would always be the first one to die, but it's worth it considering my team Aced their's with no extra deaths.

I find that even if you are behind early game, it's really easy to comeback as Amumu if you team is responsive and you time you initiations well.