@Riot: Why does the new league system hide our Elo/MMR from us?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xite91

01-15-2013

yeah bob/Niqhtmare, me too, not to mention recruiting is gonna be a bit more complicated now too

plus i still see boosters being a huge (if not even bigger) problem in this change

Knote

01-15-2013

I don't see what the big fuss is about. They're replacing a number with a "tier" or w/e. Plat is still plat

Xite91

01-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knote View Post
I don't see what the big fuss is about. They're replacing a number with a "tier" or w/e. Plat is still plat
not quite, now plat is "i mashed my face into the keyboard hard enough to somehow carry myself from gold to plat, and i'll be stuck there until i get to the next 'league'"

AlanLoLo

01-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryedan View Post
It's because the granularity of the numbers doesn't really mean that much. Someone 30 Elo below you doesn't exactly perform "30 Elo worse" than you. The reality is, you tend to fluctuate in rating, so at any given point there's a large pool of people roughly as skilled as you. Now we simply declare that pool openly, while still relying on the very granular metrics (behind the scenes) to give you guys the best matches we can.

Getting tied up in the specific number doesn't seem to give any positives, except in the highest points of the ladder (which we've addressed).
I think the elo numbers reflect 'you are doing something' in ranked play, e.g. right after I've won a match, my elo raised, this shows I am climbing up towards the top. In other words, a continuously changing elo number reflected players' effort as well as their skill level.

But only with the 'Tier' in the coming new league system, some may feel like they are fighting for nothing significant enough other then 'league points'. As a player, I really consider that a visible elo number reflects many things instead of solely the 'skill level'. I will feel much more comfortable if elo ranking is kept visible.

ObscureClockwork

01-15-2013

y not show us our elo?
at least to ourselves, if not to anyone else

Commando Slap

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-15-2013

Im thinking this is supposed to obscure LoLkinging people.

Xite91

01-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanLoLo View Post
As a player, I really consider that a visible elo number reflects many things instead of solely the 'skill level'. I will feel much more comfortable if elo ranking is kept visible.
agreed, it makes you more goal oriented, instead of it being like, well, it doesn't matter if i lose, i'm in this league and can't go down

it rewards non-competitive gameplay in their competitive mode, which seems pointless to me

Nores

01-15-2013

My main concern about new system is the fact that if you just broke a new tier and have 0 LP you can troll for 100 games as there is no consequences since you cant drop in tiers and you cant go below 0 LP. Did I misunderstood this part?

GTyyy

01-15-2013

I hope to god this wasn't driven by people teasing others. They ruined the Halo ranking system by removing visible ranks, that game is DEAD. I hope it doesn't happen here.

Pijji

01-15-2013

websites like lolsummoners and lolking should show you your elo even after this change, i think

even though i don't care if it's shown or not, it would be nice