@Riot: Why does the new league system hide our Elo/MMR from us?

First Riot Post
123456 ... 10
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Awaen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-15-2013

For what its worth, I think League rating would be a lot more relaxing then elo. You KNOW you're basically going to stay in bronze/silver/gold/whatever, its just a judgement of where you're at compared to a subset of players. If you don't always go up/down on visible league rating, then there's less rage in 1 win/loss, as it has a less visible effect.

Honestly, we don't have enough information about the system right now to tell what they're planning to do with it. I'm just basing my thoughts off of the SC2 ladder system.

Tinithor

01-15-2013

If you've been around for 30 minutes you'd see the constant ELO hell complaints based on a stupid number. Its a good change really, will also make people feel less worried about losing ELO all the time and make ranked less stressful probably.

Peach Goddess

01-15-2013

How will we know where we stand in the ladder system if we can't see our numbers?

Twillera

01-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryedan View Post
It's because the granularity of the numbers doesn't really mean that much. Someone 30 Elo below you doesn't exactly perform "30 Elo worse" than you. The reality is, you tend to fluctuate in rating, so at any given point there's a large pool of people roughly as skilled as you. Now we simply declare that pool openly, while still relying on the very granular metrics (behind the scenes) to give you guys the best matches we can.

Getting tied up in the specific number doesn't seem to give any positives, except in the highest points of the ladder (which we've addressed).
I dont really care if 30 elo doesnt make a difference, when I put hours into this game, and at the end of the night in 30 elo higher, im happy with that. Me, like what I assume would be a lot of other player, dont gain or lose elo quickly, so iv made it my goal to always try an end with a higher elo then before, even if its by one. How is removin this helping at all?

Ryedan

Visual Designer

01-15-2013
2 of 6 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eceto View Post
I dont really care if 30 elo doesnt make a difference, when I put hours into this game, and at the end of the night in 30 elo higher, im happy with that. Me, like what I assume would be a lot of other player, dont gain or lose elo quickly, so iv made it my goal to always try an end with a higher elo then before, even if its by one. How is removin this helping at all?
So, consider "League points' your new metric? For you, the system should actually be easier to see tighter gains.

Hassohappa

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-15-2013

I feel like this new system obfuscates where you actually stand in comparison to other players and I don't really like that. I get that elo is not really a set number but it still provided a much clearer picture of where you stand in comparison to being 87/250 in the third division of gold tier.

SlumlordThanatos

01-15-2013

You know, this may actually convince me to start trying to play ranked. This seems like a good idea, from what I can see.

Then again, I've been wrong before. Guess we'll wait and see.

Ryedan

Visual Designer

01-15-2013
3 of 6 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunter228 View Post
You know, this may actually convince me to start trying to play ranked. This seems like a good idea, from what I can see.

Then again, I've been wrong before. Guess we'll wait and see.
I hope you do! One of the many goals of change was to get people off the sidelines and into the game. Being approachable and being seriously competitive aren't opposite sides of the same coin.

Sebamk

01-15-2013

Mostly because of this

Guy 1: 1465 Elo, playing support, 0/1/14
Guy 2: 1466 Elo, playing top, 2/8/1

Guy 2 gets caught in enemy jungle and dies again

Guy 1: Man you should stick with us, you are giving a lot of kills to the carry :S
Guy 2: STFU NOOB I GOT TO PICK BEFORE YOU THAT MEANS I GOT MORE ELO THAN YOU STUPID NOOB SAGIOSBGDSVDSHNKJKLAS—

Guy 2 Disconnects

Understood?

PD: I think these changes will help, because players will stop focusing on elo instead of actually trying to play well

Jamvert

01-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awaen View Post
Because you don't NEED to know your elo. All it does is cause problems when people get super focused on it.
Then why bother to have a ranked mode? Ranked without a visible elo, is just normal draft mode.

123456 ... 10