New League System in Ranked

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hotdogs

01-16-2013

i think people are misinterpreting this

Matchmaking isn’t affected by your league, and you’ll still be competing against all opponents of your skill level in the League of Legends community. Your league measures your progress against a set of opponents of similar skill level, but doesn’t restrict competition solely to those players.

matchmaking is not affected by leagues at all, it is only affected by your elo, the same as it always has
the only difference is that you can't see your elo and instead you see a league/division

but there must be some link between league points and elo or i could easily get to the to by tanking my elo extremely then winning alot of easy games.

barkles

01-16-2013

so if you lose a lot of ranked matches do you go down in rating like before? can you go down teirs?

Skycrek

01-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrigoiKamilyn View Post
There is also another potential problem with this. Players need to have access to 16 champs. Who is not to say they can just go buy all the lowest champs for number, and then have a couple of higher champs. That could backfire on everyone imo.
I don't agree. You need 16 champs only due to the banning system, and since you can't pick champions from the rota you have to own them.
That is no question of skill with a roster of champions.
And only cause they cost 450 or 1350 it doesn't mean they are bad champions.
Originally costs were determined by the skill and practice you needed to master them, even though there were some exceptions like the stealth champions. Some would count Karthus to those but only cause of his ult, and still he is no choice for noobs.
So I'd say there is nothing to worry about this. Rather about bad players in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkles View Post
so if you lose a lot of ranked matches do you go down in rating like before? can you go down teirs?
Yes just like before, and if you'd actually read posts carefully you'd know that you can go down tiers. There is one way described, saying if you fall on 0 league points in the last division you may fall down to the top division of the lower tier. But I don't think you will fall by losing ranked matches alone but by other players kicking you out when they get promoted.
I'm wondering what actually prevents newly promoted players to fall down the moment they achieve a new tier. Do they start with like 50 league points in the lowest division?

What I am curious about is how Riot wants to put all the players into the new system. Each league has a place for 250 players, means there are only 1500 places in 6 tiers for players to achieve.
For me I was Gold on Eu West in both seasons, but still I was between ladder rank 1900 and 2200 when I was looking.
In preseason 3 I achieved my Gold pretty fast. But even if my current rating was on the same level as my top rating, I had to be placed unranked again in s3, since there are more than 1500 people above me...

Dance Dark

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-16-2013

One's hidden matchmaking Elo can be higher than their actual Elo, giving more LP per win, but what happens when you lose one of those high matchmade games? Do you lose the same amount of LP as usual or more?

Also, how accurate are the new placement matches? Currently, the Elo system has the first about 10 games determining placement, but those games don't seem to land you past a certain span limited at 1500 or 1600 Elo. For more skilled players, the increased Elo gains and differences that diminish with more losses make sure you get to your correct Elo. Does the new placement system only replace the old one, which is limited in effect, or does it replace both the old system and the increased Elo change system?

I ask this because I think that my current Elo isn't close to what I can achieve. I reached platinum last season, but I barely played ranked games this season so I only have 16 games and am in the middle of gold from the reset. I was depending on the increased Elo gains to steadily improve my Elo back into platinum. But if the new placement system is like the old one, then winning most of my placement matches will only get me a limited amount of Elo within a range of my current Elo, and then once I'm "placed" my gains will be the same as everyone else's since there's no increased Elo gain.

MicKretz

01-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velerean View Post
The game would be much better if you could play the role you wanted (even if that meant a longer queue time).

It's called JOIN A TEAM

rigoretto

01-16-2013

this system is taken from Bloodline Champions game:P

EpicAzian

01-16-2013

Very nice add

Admiral Anivia

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-16-2013

Oh hai Starcraft 2 ladder. Nice to see you on another game.

erlol

01-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yegg View Post
Players can (and will) fall out of Challenger tier without being inactive. If someone at the top of Diamond proves that they're ready to battle in Challenger tier and then wins the resulting Promotion Series, they'll knock out one of the Challenger tier players. When you're one of the best in the world, you don't get to sit around camping a spot. You have to constantly battle to prove that you belong at the top.
Here you have it folks, Riot's honest description of their new system. Apparently if you're not challenger material, you're allowed to "sit around camping a spot." Elo is serious business, let's all play musical chairs with more chairs than players so "everybody's a winner!"

DoleMangoJuice

01-16-2013

Sounds a lot of like the system that Blizzard uses to put you in a "League"

Goes from tier Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, etc.

Its about time the ELO system is taken down. ELO hell probably still exists, and its called Bronze. Im wondering when this system will be taken into effect.