New League System in Ranked

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Luhz

01-15-2013

too confusing

SirhcEz

01-15-2013

lets say my top elo is 2300. but decided to learn new champs and i dropped to 1900 elo.

where would that put me in this new rank system?

Meteoria

01-15-2013

So whats the differences between now and before? Sounds almost the same except you'll be in smaller pools of competitors only that wont matter since you can still be faced with anyone around your ranking. Sounds like a fancier way of doing the same thing and doesn't change the fact that elo is determined solely by winning and losing.

Jett0

01-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirhcEz View Post
lets say my top elo is 2300. but decided to learn new champs and i dropped to 1900 elo.

where would that put me in this new rank system?
your problem is thinking in elo.

and once you are in say diamond, you cannot drop OUT of that tier. can only go up

Iridos

01-15-2013

I dislike literally everything that we have been told about this system.

Djinnandjuice

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-15-2013

Sorry, But I'm not a fan at all. And here is why.

1. I play solo/duo and you just won't be on the same page as everyone on your team. Everything I've seen has shown that some people take ranked more or less seriously and hiding our ELO will probably cause more of the latter. Don't care about knowing your ELO or trying harder, Go play normals. I'm going to hate being in a best 2/3 or 3/5 and depending on people who might not care to try nearly as hard as me to win since it's not an arranged team I'm on.

2. I've been pretty much around 1400 ELO my entire LoL career from Season 1 on to now. I LIKE KNOWING THAT. Not I'm some faceless division score in some tier in some bracket in some league in some playoff system. When a stranger finds out I play LoL and asks if I'm any good I can say.. "around 1400 ELO" not "I'm in the third division of my gold tier league with about 85 League Points. I would have moved up to division four, but in my Division series, the AP mid went afk in one game, and in the second, someone wasn't taking it seriously and tried jungle Karthus out for their second time ever."

Seriously. WHY do you guys hate the fact that we know our scores.

3. Motivation. a 3/5 or 2/3 series doesn't motivate me. Consistent play motivates me. I want to play consistently enough to stay at my current KNOWN elo. If I lose elo I am motivated to gain it back. Hell I went on a horrible losing streak this weekend. I dropped down into the 1200s again. You know what motivates me. Knowing that I'm better than that, and that I can and should still be close to my highest ELO score. You know what doesn't motivate me. These banners and tiers and divisions.

Really. It just seems like an overly complicated mess for no reason. I had a clear ranking and a clear motivation, and now you guys just want to obfuscate that stuff for whatever reason (I'm honestly thinking it has more to do with player behavior than providing information or "moderate" goals)

Baron Maalghast

01-15-2013

So they're going the StarCraft II route to make the masses feel better about themselves by creating the illusion that everyone can be "the best" if they just reach the top of their division--of which there are a **** ton. It's like giving kids who finish last in sports participation ribbons, just so they have something to comfort their fragile little egos.

No thanks. If I'm only the 100,000th highest rated player in NA I'd rather see that number and be humbled than be coddled by being thrown into some meaningless division with only a handful of players to rate myself against.

But I guess this is going to happen regardless, so whatever ...

Iridos

01-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot RoboLions View Post
You will still have to work hard to get into the high tiers of the league system, and when people see your medal on your profile they will know how well you have done. No one is getting a free ride, but they will get a badass playoff series to cap off the milestones of their journey.

If anything you will feel more accomplishment than ever knowing that the system challenged you to prove you should move up and you were able to answer that call by winning a best of 3/5 series.
I'm sorry, but as a response to Rushing Taco's point, this is a complete failure. He's addressing being able to see your progress compared to everyone else. Your response can essentially be summarized as "You'll still have to work to make progress, and you'll still be able to show off progress." Right, but that has nothing to do with being able to actually see your progress compared to everyone else. And he's exactly right to point out this weakness... it's a problem.

Slashiroth

01-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteoria View Post
So whats the differences between now and before? Sounds almost the same except you'll be in smaller pools of competitors only that wont matter since you can still be faced with anyone around your ranking. Sounds like a fancier way of doing the same thing and doesn't change the fact that elo is determined solely by winning and losing.
Not really.

Basically you can't drop from gold to silver once you reach gold.

So basically the more you play the higher point you get and the better chance you have to move onto the next ladder.

Ron Paul

01-15-2013

When is this expected to release?