New League System in Ranked

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MrMediumFries

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devanstator View Post
I'm thinking of another way this feature could be abused. Let's say you play your placement matches and get into gold tier. Then you intentionally lose a whole lot of matches so your Elo (MMR) is down near bronze and games are easy to win (but you stay in gold tier as far as leagues are concerned). Then you resume advancement and easily enough win enough matches to advance to Platinum tier even though you're only competing at, say, a gold level now. A player could theoretically rinse and repeat this process to get as high as they wanted in league rankings without actually having a comparable MMR.
Are there going to be checks in place for this kind of trickery?

(btw, I like the system )
Yegg actually answered a question exactly like this in one of a his posts- go look for it, I'm too lazy and about to go play some ranked

Best Viper NA

01-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondreus View Post
I agree.

You should get points based on your ACTUAL performance, not based on victories and defeats. For example, that "LeagueLover123" loses the match but ends 7-3, he should win some points, or if he wins but ends 1-9, he doesn't get any or even losses points.
But what if you are playing support?? thats just another reason for people to avoid playing support,unless you wanna go baylife with a 10-0 taric

Fusoyen

01-15-2013

Feels like a copy of SC2 ladders...

APM Nyhmz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-15-2013

Hi Starcraft 2.

ZakarumOP

01-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondreus View Post
I agree.

You should get points based on your ACTUAL performance, not based on victories and defeats. For example, that "LeagueLover123" loses the match but ends 7-3, he should win some points, or if he wins but ends 1-9, he doesn't get any or even losses points.
That's what I'm saying like if someone starts out and loses a game while preforming way above the Tier but people just went 1-10 and that person is placed somewhere he shouldn't be. Or people who get carried are placed in these Divisions/Tiers where they simply don't belong.

SerratedBlaze

01-15-2013

I am concerned about "smurf" accounts. If the top 10% of players have 15% of the ranked slots that's putting a weight on the rest of us. Is there some assurance that the #1, 27, 136, and 212 players aren't actually 1 person with multiple accounts? Or accounts that are sold high?

And i agree with many people before me that duo que is generally not a balanced thing to be in ranked mixed with solo.

sylverfyre

01-15-2013

So... you took out a perfectly good, transparent, and well-known system and are replacing it with the dysfunctional Starcraft 2 Ladder system.

Edit: wow, i'm far from the first one to say this, too.

Starcraft 2 ladder system is trash.

Fastenal

01-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXIskanderXx View Post
my question is when you reach your advancement series you get queued with people doing their own advancement series, or do you get queued vs the whole pool of players?

i mean since these particular games hold a lot of significance for the player it would only make sense if you are queued with people who will take the game as seriusly as you are.
This.

WalmartLowPrice

01-15-2013

this new system makes more sense. The ELO rating was simple but lacked meaning.

RoboLions

User Experience Designer

01-15-2013
18 of 31 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leib Olmai View Post
What's the main difference between this new system and the SC2 system ?
There are certainly similarities, but in designing this system we focused on certain goals we felt were under served in in SC2 and in LOL season 1 and 2.
  • Clear short, mid, and long term goals
  • The ability to understand how promotion works and when it happens
  • Exciting series matches similar to the playoff games you see in LoL pro play
  • Communities of players competing to rise in the ranks

We may not have reinvented the wheel, but we made it a high performance tire with sweet rims!