New League System in Ranked

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Sneak Thief

01-15-2013

Elo reset?

Waena

01-15-2013

This system works in starcraft because you are not reliant on a team, given a rank because you play a particular role shouldn't be punished. Supports can't carry a game so are you just saying supports will be ranked badly? will high ranked players be punished to playing support? it doesn't work now and this won't change a thing. I know league is obsessed with making everyone a one shot killing machine with abilities that synergize but it is becoming a bit tedious now.

TigerCloud

01-15-2013

so if im getting this correctly, if you cannot lose LP points, then how do you get demoted from the league your in if your not good enough for it? youll just get matched up with people better then you all the time until your skill cap raises and your able to compete with that league

Jamvert

01-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrikon View Post
I'm concerned about the fact that when you know you are in a 'zone' where you can't lose any elo.. or whatever this stuff is, that it might lead to trolling if the person knows they are in it?
There is no zone where you can't lose elo. As far as we know they are using the exact same elo system as before, they just hide it from you. The tiers and divisions thing is purely cosmetic and has no effect at all on who you are match-made against. It is just a facade, so that you don't worry about your Elo :/

Pinoy Ako

01-15-2013

Comments TLDR: Players hate changes.

Yegg

Game Designer

Follow Yegg on Twitter

01-15-2013
15 of 31 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrfang View Post
Yeah, after some consideration, I drastically prefer the current elo system, because it is simpler and easier for points of comparison.

People do not use the current ladder system to find out they are 12039 of 12039320 players, they use it to see they are 100 elo higher than their friend.
I think you'll find that you can compare with other players just as easily as you could before. Someone who's in Gold Division I is ahead of someone who's in Gold Division III. Someone who has 75 LP in Gold Division I is closer to a promotion than someone who has 50 LP in Gold Division I.

On top of that, the system will attempt to put you in leagues with your friends, so you'll be able to compare against some of your friends very directly since you'll be on the same league ladder as them.

MrMediumFries

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-15-2013

This looks awesome, but I have a question- How will pick order be changed, as far as I know it is based on highest elo currently, will this change to the league points or stay as the matchmaking rating (elo)?

ZakarumOP

01-15-2013

Can someone please answer this. If you go 1-8 but your team carries you & you are awarded League Points, how is that showing your skill level? If you consistently get carried or if you go 10-2 but lose a game, how is that showing your individual skill?

lol I died again

01-15-2013

Seems... pointless.

Yegg

Game Designer

Follow Yegg on Twitter

01-15-2013
16 of 31 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawww View Post
I'm curious: assume player X got unlucky in the placement matches and got put in silver tier, when his real skill level would put him at, say, Platinum. Would Duo Q'ing with a friend that is in Plat Tier give more LP than if he just Solo Q'd at Silver?

TLDR: would duo q'ing with someone of a higher tier give you more League Points than Solo Q?
No, duo queuing with someone who's in a higher tier wouldn't give you more LP. It's based on the expected win percentage of your team in the matchup, and the fact that you're in a lower tier than your opponents would be offset by the fact that you have a higher tier player on your team as well.