New League System in Ranked

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sawww

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-15-2013

I'm curious: assume player X got unlucky in the placement matches and got put in silver tier, when his real skill level would put him at, say, Platinum. Would Duo Q'ing with a friend that is in Plat Tier give more LP than if he just Solo Q'd at Silver?

TLDR: would duo q'ing with someone of a higher tier give you more League Points than Solo Q?

Zerokaiszer

01-15-2013

This is the exact same stupid **** that Battle.net 2.0 is.

Obscuring and hiding information from people in the hope that they'll play more and feel like they're better than they are. It's ****ing ridiculous.

I don't want to know what place in what division of what league of what tier I'm in. I want to know what my ****ing rating is. It's a number. One, simple, accurate number.

Having a simple god damn elo rating system was literally one of the best things about this game and the competitive philosophy, and I would seriously propose that it's a contributing factor to it being succesful. If LoL had rolled out of beta with this idiot bnet 2.0 system, it would have been a joke.

This change blurs the line between casual and competitive players, and that is BAD for viewer numbers and BAD for it as an esport. You do not ****ing want your player base to feel like they're almost as good as the people they watch on stream.

Garbage change.

AgentD

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-15-2013

I don't really play ranked in LoL, but I really dislike the league system in starcraft 2. I don't understand why having local divisions to advance within has to be opposed to having a consistent global ranking system.

notrangerjoe

01-15-2013

Is there any real difference to the player? As far as I can tell all you're doing is dressing up the ladder in different clothes. There's zero difference to who you are playing with. It would be awesome if this meant that we were more likely to play with the people in our division. It's incredibly difficult to make friends in a game where you never meet someone twice and people are much less likely to be hostile to each other if they're likely to meet again. This would have been an excellent opportunity for real community building :-/

Ko Hakoo

01-15-2013

So, if I understand correctly, this doesnt impact matchmaking at all. You are separating the matchmaking system and the ranking/rewards portion?

It certainly seems like you are trying to mask the underworkings and provide a buffer to losses so people dont feel bad. This change is all perception based (which is great for the Elo hell believers and just serves to complicate it for everyone else).

Tyrfang

01-15-2013

Yeah, after some consideration, I drastically prefer the current elo system, because it is simpler and easier for points of comparison.

People do not use the current ladder system to find out they are 12039 of 12039320 players, they use it to see they are 100 elo higher than their friend.

iMRts

01-15-2013

Does this mean a Diamond.Division5 who played 2000 games can be worse than Gold.Division1 who played 200 games?

So if EVERYONE play thousands of games, eventually they all will end up Diamond and Challeger? (Like WOW system, everyone will be at max level)

Does that mean, there is NO visual WAY to compare skills between players ? (In WOW, same lvl does not mean equal skills)

godspiral

01-15-2013

What is the thinking for dropping people out of tier due to innactivity?

If they afk/surrender one game every 2 weeks, or just lose a ton of games on purpose, they can keep their tier, but if they go on vacation they lose it?

Tycoon

01-15-2013

Yegg,
I am slightly confused. Is a league more or less an arrangement of 250~ players put together by the system due to their similar rankings? Do these players mostly get matched up together? I believe it said somewhere that if friends are similar in ranking they will be put in the same league, does this mean it is common to be matched up with friends even without duo queuing? That could potentially ruin solo queue as friends could easy communicate via skype and enhance their communication and teamplay, which was not possible before. If this is not a league, then what is? I don't believe I fully understand.

Also, if my definition of a league is true I see a lot of potential for rage and trolling, because if out of the 250 players there are, for example, 10-20 that have been performing poorly and as the season progresses, they make a name for themselves. Suddenly the entire community around them loathes getting matched up with them and beings to pressure the players to either dodge or risk getting verbally abused. These players suddenly have much more pressure to perform well or risk getting even more abuse. This is, of course, all hypothetical but if these players were to lose enough games to drop down divisions (I think it's divisions?) and then begin to win more and make it back to their original standing due to the lack of verbal abuse from the toxic community in their league (they lost so many players they dropped a division and began playing with different players of lesser rating), this could end up in a never-ending cycle.
What are your thoughts?

Rm7000

01-15-2013

Seems a little stange. It will be interesting to see how it plays out,