New League System in Ranked

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ShadyBad

02-02-2013

How do you view other tiers such as bronze, silver, gold, platinum, and diamond when you are in lets say the gold tier. I have been looking and asking other people if it were possible. I would like to know if anyone knows how to accomplish this.

Mark Akitaki

02-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightmusic View Post
I see a very major hole in this new system, and I'm curious how you will go about stabilizing it. it won't happen overnight, but without a way to be demoted down a tier, eventually everyone will end up in the top tier. the highest skilled players will first move up to it, then the highest skilled in the next lowest will eventually make it there, making the job of being promoted tiers much easier to the ones who would've been demoted. the pattern will repeat until you get people from bronze tier working on promotions through the ranks because only silver and bronze players remain to compete for those promotions. it's not an overnight thing, but within a year it will be a noticeable problem, I'm very curious how you plan to stabilize it. (I may be entirely wrong in this, if I am I apologize in advance)
I see your point, but i think the big thing is ur not limited to only playing people in your tier if u are tier 1 100 points then u may be facing tier 5 of the people above u as well as maybe some other tier 1's... also they make it nearly impossible to win division 1's by making it a hug lose in points when u lose and only a small gain on a win, so to bumb up a tier it is VERY difficult and you are really deserving to be in the new tier. there are people who deserve to be in certain tiers and when that happens ur wins and loses should become more 50/50 cause thats the tier u fit with, so in tier 1 its impossible to go up with a 50/50 ratio keeping u at that tier forever. or at least thats my take on it, it seem sreally well thought out and REALLY hard to go up a tier, a little frustrating but i think its to prevent this exact situation that ur addressing

(sry i notice im saying tier instead of divisions for half those... im sure u can root out what i mean...)

Mark Akitaki

02-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagueOfKiddies View Post
I'm sorry riot, but the majority of my real life friends and about half of my friends list has quit this game in the last couple of weeks awaiting this patch, and i haven't played a game for almost a week either.

What you have done only caters to people who were unranked in the first place, or were below 1500 or something and casual players.

Removing elo has lost the addictive nature of this game, and the motivation for most people to play. Imagine this: most youngsters these days really do relate that elo number to their self worth.

Whoever made this idea might be the cause of a lot of you losing jobs at riot, and perhaps the end of this game.

I guess I shouldn't be complaining, i'm graduating university this year and it's very tough, and this game was holding me back from accomplishing what I needed to from life.

Still though, I cannot believe you guys would think this wouldn't ruin your game.
maybe u dont understand how it works... this new system is exactly the same, its just changed so that goals are easier to obtain, there are clear goals and same ladder its just been condensed so when u move up u actually feel like ur going somewhere, there were tiers before and people usually would say hey im gold elo or im plat, they dont go i have 2149 elo atm, some do, but i mean u can just say ur tier. now its like hey im 4th in gold tier, that really cool knowing ur 4th in gold. other than that the ranking and going from 1 tier to another is virtually the same u gain and lose pretty much the same, although they have made it much harder to jump up a tier making division 1's cause huge loses in points when u lose and small amounts of points when u win, but this is to insure that if u make it to the next tier, u deserve to be there, since u cant drop. if a small change like this has made u leave league, then obviously this game couldnt have been to fun for u, or a small change on how the game keeps track of ur ranking wouldnt affect ur judgment. good luck with university

Mark Akitaki

02-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maflagh View Post
Its a simple fix actually make a best 2/3 series to keep people from dropping division it gives them a warning, rather then just being dropped like that, and spurns a more competitive edge to have the chance to stay within the higher division. Simply making it 10 times harder to advance then be demoted does little for making players happy, they like to win, as do most gamer like my self XD. But my point is that I will win some and lose some win 2 in a row then ill lose 3 in row and all of sudden drop a division now I am forced to try and go 5-0 just to be eligible for promotion so in actuality you need to go on a run like 7-1 to advance but only need a record of like 3-4 to drop. This seems a little one sided
I agree, i mean i think ive heard its only in tier 1 it really punishes u like this... but idk for sure since i havnt droped yet in tier 1...
but if it is only for tier 1 then maybe it so that its REALLY hard to jump up a tier cause once u do, theres no dropping it, and this is a way to really kick out the people who dont deserve to make it, while really slowing down the ones that do deserve to tier up... kinda frustrating but if thats the strategy, then it may work once u get out of elo hell, no way for the trolls to follow u past the tier

ThisNoScience

02-03-2013

I totally don't get the point of doing this. What Riot did is to make it extremely harder for one to climb up a tier, and make it impossible for one to fall down from a higher tier except decay no matter how many games he lost.

For example, in the new system, if one who qualify for silver tier get trolled in his placement matches and been placed into bronze, he would have to have at least 7 net wins (4 for the 100 points and 3 for the promotion) to get to next tier. And this process could take like more than 50 games depending on his luck. In S2, it is much easier to move down and move up.

Gosu Wartortle

02-03-2013

When the patch was discussed it was not clear that if you are division 5 the last rank of it and if you lose a game would you go down to bronze division 1, and also when you are promoted and you lose one game would you go back down to the division that you were just in after getting into a new division? Also if its based off of losing streaks how much would you have to lose to go down a tier.

Yegg Please Answer this.

DrJAWz

02-03-2013

So first off I want to say that I really like the new possibilities this system creates. It is a great concept to see yourself climb a latter in skill. The main concern I have is that the ranking system in solo queue is still overly dependent on the team and not the individual performances in the game.

It is very frustrating when you do everything you possibly can to help a team win and 2-3 others do not. I know I am not alone in being frustrated by a teammate that gives up, feeds, trolls, doesn't listen to team, harasses teammates, etc.

There needs to be a way to punish players that throw matches. Or have a system that can prevent a loss of points or reduce the point loss in the event that you have done a very good job at being a quality player, a team player, and you are stuck with someone who doesn't show that they are equally committed to the game.

This system could be linked to the report system. If tribunal decides to punish a player for the way that player interacted or played, then points could be reissued or losses prevented. It may not provide an instant buffer to the points, but if there could be a way to accurately show how people actually contribute to the game I am sure the majority would prefer it.

1un3

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronicApathy View Post
It seems like one would want to lose all of one's "grace period" games after reaching a new division, to reduce MMR without losing "league status" since you cannot go down a tier and matchmaking is still based on MMR. That way you get "easier" games on your way up to the next tier. This does not seem like healthy gameplay.
Also, this system is freaking stupid because for example I started in silver 1 teir with a 1497 elo rating. now I have to gain 100 points to go to gold 5, another hundred to go to gold 4, and so on so on so that would be 600 points to get to the lowest level platinum. so by the time I am essentialy what was 1850 last season I would have to get to 2100 elo. How is this fair? so if I got to plat I would essentialy be playing at a diamond skill level while people who carried over from last season will have an unfair advantage..

Or lets say a diamond teir person just lost 500 games in a row before trying to win, they could move up diamond ladder while playing bronze teir games.. how does this make any sense?

Agraajag

02-03-2013

Makes me want to quit.

LoL makes joke of itself. Presumably what's going on is declining new
Players so Riot thinks people won't be able to handle getting better and still seeing their
Elo fall (because they are competing against a harder core of long term
players). So they hide the situation with this garbage.

It will have the added "benefit" of making it hard for e.g. Lolking to get champ
Stats, so will help riot hide impossible problem of balancing champs for
Both coordinated (5v5) and uncoordinated (solo/dual) play.

Riot, i have an idea: take your game *seriously*. You posture as
if you do. *Acknowledge* the above problems publicly and fix them as
best you can *publicly*, don't try this stupid misleading nonsense.
Even players who don't see what's going on arent going to like the results.

Vturne

02-03-2013

Hi, I'm just wondering about the if I didn't play any solo/duo queue in 28 days, but I played a lot in team ranked game or 3v3 game. Will I still drop the point or tiers since I didn't participate in Solo/duo queue? For example, I'm in Plat 3 right now, if I only participate in team ranked, will I drop to Plat 4 5 or even Gold 1 after several months?