New League System in Ranked

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Numot

01-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yegg View Post
If you queue dodge during a Division or Promotion Series then the series will immediately be canceled and you'll have to re-qualify for the series by winning another game. It might sound harsh, but queue dodge rates in ranked are honestly too high right now, and we're not interested in having some players carefully micromanaging their series matchups at the expense of everyone else's queue times and failed lobbies.
What prevents someone from intentionally troll all Division and Promotion series? If you match them like it is a normal game and they get forced to dodge or lose then you punish the worng person.

I really do hope you guys realized this and already prevented this by matching players playing a series with other players playing a series. That way you cut down on the trolls alot since the trolls will never be playing a series in most cases.

neongreen001

01-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4ze View Post
actually it was mentioned many times, if you're say in platinum and fall down to 0 league points in the lowest division and then keep losing more and more games, the more hidden elo you lose, the less league points you can gain when you win, so when you finally reach 0 elo and want to start farming league points as you say, it will take 10x longer to get league points, and by the time you catch back up, you will be back at your appropriate hidden elo
They haven't mentioned how much league points you will gain if you are at a considerably lower elo than your league tier. But I do certainly hope it is something along the lines of 10x less points per win or so.
But it is still relatively easy to get platinum and gold tiers without having that much skill.

Tazzz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by neongreen001 View Post
They haven't mentioned how much league points you will gain if you are at a considerably lower elo than your league tier. But I do certainly hope it is something along the lines of 10x less points per win or so.
But it is still relatively easy to get platinum and gold tiers without having that much skill.
true, but i assume with the challenger tier coming in platinum and diamond won't be viewed as the best anymore

Antherial

01-17-2013

I actually really like this idea. it semi prevents you from dropping of the radar (stops smerfing) and also lets say you just get a horrible week were you cant play for diddly.. help prevent you from dropping all the way back down. you will still be locked into your Silver, gold, plat, diamond tiers.

Antherial

01-17-2013

Quote:
It will be fun to see when some people start farming league points.
There is a guaranteed way to earn rank 1 of division 1 of any tier, but let's take the challenger tier.
For example, you work really hard to reach the challenger tier( last tier, right after diamond tier), but find it hard to get rank 1. What you could do is fall to division 5 of challenger tier with zero points. But since you cannot fall back to any previous tiers after reaching a higher tier, just keep purposely losing games until your elo reach about 1.2k (since elos are still what are used to place you in a match no matter what league you are in).
After reach 1.2k elo (but still in the challenger tier, just with 0 league points since you can't fall below 0), start playing seriously and win game after game for easy league points farming. Even the division series will be easy since you will be placed against players of your skill level (which is defined by your elo for match-making purposes), so climbing to division 1 of the challenger circuit will be like as effortless as walking through gentle breeze. You will eventually reach an easy rank 1, and since ranked elo will also be hidden when this is implemented, no one will ever know. Fame, glory, and of course riot bonuses will be enjoyed for relatively little effort.
I took the example of being in the challenger tier but this process can be used in any of the 6 tiers in the league system. Another example would be to reach diamond tier of the system, now you can't fall back to any lower tiers. Use the above method of lowering your elo to a comfortable elo where you can win games relatively easy( even 0 elo if you wish) then proceed to farming league points against easy opponents to even get passed the diamond tier to the challenger tier, even to rank 1 division 1 of challenger tier. Just repeat the process of lowering hidden elo whenever you feel like you cannot 1 man carry your team anymore for easy league points farming. Just remember to use this process at zero league points and/or when at the last division of your tier.

The point of this long post is simply to say you can have 900 hidden elo and play against other players who are also at 900 elo, but still be the number one player in the highest division of the highest tier in the league (rank 1, division 1, challenger tier).

I think riot will find a way to change this loop-hole or maybe there is something else in the system to prevent the use of hidden elo as a farming tool for league points (but it wasn't mentioned in the description of the system so far).
You missed the part about "Only so many people can be in challenger. if you drop yourself to much and someone below increases they will take your place in challenger tier. challenger tier is the only tier that you an fully drop out of. because its a special tier showing off who is the best.

neongreen001

01-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4ze View Post
true, but i assume with the challenger tier coming in platinum and diamond won't be viewed as the best anymore
Yea, very true. Challenger tier does sound pretty beast. But top rank is still camp-able unlike what they said. I mean just like rank 1 elo, you will just have 100 league points, possibly, in division 1 of challenger league and just not play for a while until right before the grace period before you lose league points end. I mean, since only the last place in division 5 loses their spot in the challenger league.

Poro OpieOP

01-17-2013

seems a bit like sc2...except better

DaKiIIa

01-17-2013

If you cannot go down in tiers, does that mean that a bad player with an ELO of...100, if he plays long enough and regardless if he loses 10 games and wins 1, provided he gets lucky in the playoffs/move-up-tiers series, he will eventually reach Diamond having 100-ELO? :-)

AaronWendte

01-17-2013

I'm surprised nobody has asked this question, unless I just don't fully understand it. If the selection pool is now only 250 players, won't this greatly increase queue times? There are much fewer people to select from than with a much larger pool of people when there are no individual pools or leagues to select from. The average will be the same, but won't the system have a hard time continuously finding games using only players from your league?

broken4o

01-17-2013

Quote:
Actually it would still work, since you need only 100 league points to have the chance to try for the next division. After reaching that division you start at zero league points again, and have to farm 100 LP for the next division. Since you gain about 10 league points per game, that's about a 120 points increase in elo. So if you were at 900 elo you are now 1020 elo, and you get to join another division relatively easy.

But as I was reading through the riot posts it seems like you gain less league points if your elo is a lot lower relative to what you should be at for your tier (diamond for example). So this makes this method less effective the higher the tier you achieve. And this method is inapplicable to the highest tier, the challenger, since the last placed can and will get knocked out to the diamond tier if the rank 1 diamond tier in division 1 wins his tier promote series.
So I will quote another post "You will get to Diamond/challenger mode if you play 10 thousand games. Essentially, it's a system indicative of how many games you've played." Well that is only relative to skill level since your elo would have increased by a lot to reach the diamond league and such. But your elo would still be less than what is required right now, since right now you need 2.2k elo for diamond. But with the league system you might be diamond at like 1.8 or 1.9k elo, so lower skilled players will be in higher leagues.
u say that u got to diamond wirh 4k elo ?