New League System in Ranked

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheCowness

01-15-2013

I don't really get it. I guess I'll stick around for the AMA.

Edit: Seems like... matchmaking is still based on elo, but your end of season rewards aren't? Iunno. My understanding of this is that it's just a safety net so you can't lose 200-300 elo in one rage-filled weekend (PSA: Stop playing for the night before the rage sets in).

Velerean

01-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by R41313IT View Post
Yes! In you faces for people who thought Elo system is an accurate and effective way of determining a player's skill level. On the other hand, good job riot, finally some changes done to ranked matches to look forward to.
There is still an elo system in place. It will now be hidden.

FenGoku

01-15-2013

and again, riot making huge changes without consulting the community at all, good job. anyways this seems retarded, keep the elo system plz.....

MoooveZiiig

01-15-2013

I don't like SC2's system, and I don't like this system either. I think you're overthinking it, and the amount of changes you'll have to do to it over time will be mindboggling. Moreover, you added this gem:

Quote:
Once you’ve earned a skill tier, however, you can never be demoted to the previous tier unless you stop playing for a prolonged period of time.

In other words, losing can never cause you to fall below 0 League Points in the lowest division of your league."
That is such a terribad idea. You know your system creates outliers - people that do not belong to a certain Elo, but end up there through happenstance and luck. You're locking these outliers up in a group where they don't belong.

Okay, outliers that aren't lucky and lose more than they should, and then climb back up won't be affected. But those that win a lot of placement matches out of nowhere and are placed in gold, might then spend the entirety of the season making gold players' life miserable by playing at a significantly lower skill level than them, all the while being unable to go back down to Silver or Bronze where they belong so they can actually have some fun instead of getting wrecked and yelled at all the time.

Unless matchmaking is absolutely separate from skill ranking, and that Bronze players can be matched with Gold players because, behind, Elo doesn't change. Which brings the point - why even bother?

Because if Elo is how you calculate matchmaking, you'll have to tweak the weight of Elo in the calculation of league points, if Elo is still the main measure of matchmaking, else you'll end up with players standing at a much higher Elo compared to the other players of their league, but will remain unable to advance because they're playing for 50%, at their Elo. A Plat level player, at a Plat level Elo, stuck in a Gold league because he spends his days playing Plat level opponents.

So either you end up with bad players, who end up being statistical outliers, stuck playing against players out of their league for a long period of time - yet bragging of their skill rank! - creating horrendous matchmaping nightmares for everyone concerned, or you end up with a system that shows a very poor representation of actual skill.

I'm calling it right now. The first change you'll have to make to your system is that you'll have to make a "Relegation Series" (call it something happier if you want) happen when players hit 0 points in the lowest league of their skill level (or lower, calculated in some hidden metric so that players that just join a new skill rank don't face a relegation immediately if they lose a game).

If, also, the system is weighted in that if you are of an higher Elo than what your skill rank, or division is, you'll end up with some poor shmuck stuck in gold that just kept losing because he didn't belong there, his Elo drifted back to 1100 and now he just can't leave 1st division, no matter what. In fact, him regaining 200 Elo wouldn't help him (if the system is weighted correctly), or he'd hit Platinum skill rating once his Elo hit 1500. Both are quite undesirable, I must say.

I hope you tested this thing thoroughly. Because the way I see it, no matter the way you set it up you're opening one hell of a can of worms.

Yegg

Game Designer

Follow Yegg on Twitter

01-15-2013
4 of 31 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubert Ozwell View Post
If you cannot drop tiers does that mean you will continue to be matched with the people at the bottom of your tier no matter how many times you lose afterwards? And if so do you have a system implemented in order to resolve elo boosting and/or getting lucky in your placement matches and then continually underperforming in a tier you don't belong in?
Matchmaking will continue to match you based on a hidden MMR (matchmaking rating) that's tracked behind the scenes. If you are continually losing matches at the bottom of Gold tier, you'll start to play against Silver players even though you're in a Gold league.

There are a lot of checks and balances that must be passed before you can move up a tier, so we don't think that it will be common for players to be in this situation (with the exception of something like Elo boosting, which we'll be continuing to address).

ArKL1Te

01-15-2013

So... There's only one FAQ you missed: When will be this applied?

Sq Forum

01-15-2013

THE GRAMMAR. IT BURNS.

Seriously though, are these articles checked prior to being published? There seem to be a couple mistakes in every announcement of late.

Blizzmaster

01-15-2013

This is pretty interesting, and removing ELO from public sight is a good thing IMO. I might try a few ranked games in the Solo/Duo queue.

However, I still feel that Duo Queuing needs a look. It's still possible for players to queue with others way above/below their skill level. The duo queue needs some kind of restriction to limit who you can queue with, which I feel is only fair to the other 8 players being put into a match with these duo queuers.

LordGwaihir

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-15-2013

For some reason the new system looks like the old system just the way we transition from for example silver to gold changes to a series style rather then just get above X ELO. The back end of the matchmaking system isn't changing so we will still be queued with random people and the hellish grind to jump division or series seems even more daunting. The potential for massive trolling in these games is going to be huge, and people will be even more on edge because now even more is on the line.

ELO has always been as you said an average over many games but this system is putting unfair emphasis on a few key sets of games to determine how you ultimately place for end of season rewards.

This system is getting closer and closer to how Starcraft II deals with its ladder, but the difference between LoL and SC2 is you don't play ladder with random people every game, you either are solo (so only YOU effect your rank) or you play as a SET team.

Dalek Sam

01-15-2013

I Have an Interesting question. Will the Divisional series or Promotion series back like a set series of games in a row with the same teams compete in a best of three, or is it a personal best of 3 with different teams each time?