Champion Select Rework

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Epiic

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-15-2013

We've all been in lobbies where two people want to play the same position. This is because going into a game, unless you're apart of a pre-made team, you have no idea what others want to play or even CAN play. You know what you want to play and what you CAN play. Now if only there was a way to let others know what you want to play before you are matched with them. I believe this can be achieved rather easily with a simple prompt after you click "Match me with teammates."

The prompt would be a list of the five positions: Top, Jungler, Mid, Support, and AD Carry. You would then select the position you wish to play and then be matched with others that need that position. Alternatively, you would choose multiple positions you are comfortable playing and be matched accordingly. Once matched, an icon indicating your position would be beside your name, under where the honor badge would be.

This would lead to less dodges, better team compositions, and an overall better experience for all.

Of course, there are a number of concerns that come with this addition.

1. Outright trolling and abuse of the system. Summoners choosing a position and then picking a different role once matched.
Solution: This is easily punished via reporting. Your teammates can see what position you are supposed to pick therefore reporting those who do this is easily reported.

2. Lack of one role or another resulting in longer queue times and overall longer queue times due to the added role filters matchmaking must process.
Solution: Unfortunately, this is something that comes with an advanced matchmaking system.

3. Dynamic picking in draft such as first picking and picking out of order.
Solution: This isn't a problem. The purpose of this addition is to get five compatible players role-wise. What happens after this is up to the team.

I believe this would be a great addition to the current system. Thoughts and suggestions are welcomed. Thanks for reading.