Kage's pick

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lameador

11-29-2009

Do you use it on casters ? Is it worth it ?

I tend to play the following casters : Fiddlesticks, Ryze or Soraka.

I have the impression that it is a very cost effective item, but I can't decide with philosopher's stone (more regen). 25AP for 700 gold versus a pasive gold gain seems acceptable, but I see almost none taking this item.

Plus I fear that buying a gold item might get me killed or missing kills that I could have got with a straight power item.

What is your experience with the lucky pick ?

Zoobi

11-29-2009

Don't.

JayceJa

11-29-2009

you pay 700 for 25 ap when you can buy 20 ap for 435, then you get one gold every 2 seconds, which takes over 10 minutes to pay enough for its loss of gold from selling

Cosmic Power

11-30-2009

You must hold on to it for 8 minutes 20 seconds. After that it's more than worth it. I think people really underestimate these gold giving items (except Philosophers Stone).

IEatBabies

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-30-2009

The Avarice blade is the best one IMHO. A little more crit will always help so long as you don't have too much of it where as a little bit of AP is only as good as the amount of spells you can cast because that's the only way 5 points of AP is worth it. I'd get a soul stealer instead and start killing people. After the SS is changed, I don't know.

I would give the pick a unique passive of 5% cooldown so that stacking wouldn't be an issue, but so that it could keep up with the Avarice blades.

Xetal

12-02-2009

What math are you using to determine "time til payoff"?

The two most viable ways I see are by using the cost to combine (330g) and then subtracting from that the value of 5 AP (435 * .25). That would give you a value of 221g for the actual gold-over-time effect. From there it is easy to see that it would take about 7 minutes for it to pay for itself, and everything after that is profit. This is of course ignoring the fact that it is taking up an inventory slot and that it has an opportunity cost of delaying your next item(s).

The second viable way I see would be to assume that you are going to sell it, which would have a loss of 383 gold, and would take the gold-over-time effect 12.7 minutes to pay for itself. This would be completely ignoring the fact that it gives you a bonus (25ap) in addition to the gold-over-time.

In either case the important thing is that it has an opportunity cost: Inbetween the time that you purchased it and the time it takes to pay for itself, you are a bit weaker than you would otherwise be. Because of this it is likely that you you will average out more deaths, less kills, and less creeps farmed. That is the real cost of the item.

IMSavior

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-02-2009

always get 2 on evelynn

usually they last me until 35minutes or so into game which = overpaying for themselves about 2-3x

JayceJa

12-02-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xetal View Post
What math are you using to determine "time til payoff"?

The two most viable ways I see are by using the cost to combine (330g) and then subtracting from that the value of 5 AP (435 * .25). That would give you a value of 221g for the actual gold-over-time effect. From there it is easy to see that it would take about 7 minutes for it to pay for itself, and everything after that is profit. This is of course ignoring the fact that it is taking up an inventory slot and that it has an opportunity cost of delaying your next item(s).

The second viable way I see would be to assume that you are going to sell it, which would have a loss of 383 gold, and would take the gold-over-time effect 12.7 minutes to pay for itself. This would be completely ignoring the fact that it gives you a bonus (25ap) in addition to the gold-over-time.

In either case the important thing is that it has an opportunity cost: Inbetween the time that you purchased it and the time it takes to pay for itself, you are a bit weaker than you would otherwise be. Because of this it is likely that you you will average out more deaths, less kills, and less creeps farmed. That is the real cost of the item.
so it takes 7 minutes for a pick to become just as effective as normal items, when you could have bought normal items instead, which are even more effective with legendary premium on high tier items

Merovinge

12-02-2009

Buy 1, turn into deathfire's grasp later on, win.

JayceJa

12-02-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovinge View Post
Buy 1, turn into deathfire's grasp later on, win.
true, that is about the only use of one though, unless you enjoy crappy 90 minute games of farming to stack out 6 uber items