I may watch the news too much...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

01-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt Kitty View Post
But they think there's way too many crazy people who own guns
I stopped reading there, and ignored everything you said prior to it. Why? Because you hit the nail on the head....

This country should be ashamed at how it deals with the mentally unstable. As someone who loves his guns, and am completely against restrictions that impact those of us that are law abiding and stable, I completely believe we have an issue with our mental health.

I have known people to posses firearms that I wouldn't want to, and I have reported those people. My biggest beef with the current system is that there isn't a mental health component to the background check process.

While ultimately you won't ever stop a criminal from getting a gun, or someone who is seriously determined, that doesn't mean we can't put up certain laws to help. I firmly believe that if you have been deemed a danger to yourself or others by a medical professional, that professional should be able to enter you into NICS, so that during a background check that comes up.

Now, I can't be clear enough, this would have not prevented the most recent shooters, because of how the shooters obtained the firearms. It would however prevent certain people from purchasing firearms at a time in their life and mental health where they shouldn't.

I don't know of a single person on either side of the issue that doesn't agree with the mental health aspect of it.

Bilbosky

01-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt Kitty View Post
I just don't think we should base our policies on fear. That's what we've been doing since 9/11, and things haven't been going all that great internally as well as for our global image. We need bipartisan bills.
By that logic we should drop the current gun control craze, as it was triggered by fear from recent shootings (I'd be 100% ok with this).

There's no real reason to enact stricter gun control. US Crime rates have been dropping for the last 20 years without much change in gun laws, and historically gun control legislation has often been followed by an increase in crime. The changes currently being tossed around (assault weapons bans, smaller clip sizes, no armor piercing rounds) don't even apply to the vast majority of gun crime, so the debate is a pathetic waste of time and resources.

I simply see no reason to restrict our Constitutional rights to enact policies that have no guarantee of being successful.

Shirtl0l

01-16-2013

this thread has taken a turn toward the lulz

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
            ⊂  つ
             (つ ノ
              (ノ

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

01-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirtl0l View Post
this thread has taken a turn toward the lulz

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
            ⊂  つ
             (つ ノ
              (ノ
Typical response from an anti-gun person after they lose their silly argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbosky View Post
By that logic we should drop the current gun control craze, as it was triggered by fear from recent shootings (I'd be 100% ok with this).

There's no real reason to enact stricter gun control. US Crime rates have been dropping for the last 20 years without much change in gun laws, and historically gun control legislation has often been followed by an increase in crime. The changes currently being tossed around (assault weapons bans, smaller clip sizes, no armor piercing rounds) don't even apply to the vast majority of gun crime, so the debate is a pathetic waste of time and resources.

I simply see no reason to restrict our Constitutional rights to enact policies that have no guarantee of being successful.
Crime went up in Chicago and DC after they enacted stricter firearm laws. Following Hurricane Katrina the Mayor of New Orleans outlawed firearms and started gathering them up and destroying them. No sooner did he do this did the crime rate fly through the roof, as the only people who turned over their guns were the sheeple. The criminals of course ignored this...

Crime rates went up significantly in the UK after they enacted their laws...

Light LaserTower

01-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal Twinkie View Post
Typical response from an anti-gun person after they lose their silly argument.
There is simpily no arguing with people that believe every man women and child should have a gun to protect themselves from others with guns.... If you don't support that comment I have no idea how you can support the gun laws in the states as that is the situation there IMO.

As I have said before though it is way to late for your country every man women and child should be armed.

Shirtl0l

01-16-2013

people are making such crazy defenses, going in circles, and just not making sense... can't really argue with the entire syndrome of a down crew.

Jesus the Friend

01-16-2013

Guns are illegal in my country.

Gun related deaths are extremely rare, they're almost exclusively limited to Gangsters and Policemen killing each other.

But basically never aside from that.

gg United Statsia.

Kvlt Kitty

01-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbosky View Post
By that logic we should drop the current gun control craze, as it was triggered by fear from recent shooting (I'd be 100% ok with this).

Yes but one involves arming yourself in fear and the other uses the logic that because there are less guns in circulation, less people will have them, and so statistically the chances of these things happening is reduced. Which with the mentality of majority of our populus, doesn't seem like a bad thing. I don't fear the government, it's a disorganized mess that is constantly fighting itself. I fear the armed and ignorant. Hence why I left the city and now live in the mountains. I own a gun, but I hunt. How easily I obtained it was mildly concerning though. If you have ever purchased a weapon, I'd think it'd be a concern to you as well. One of my relatives bought a mounted 50 calibur machine gun (semi auto) without any problems. Because people are so caught up in the constitution and how great the founders were (which they really werent if you read about them), they fail to put into effect laws based on common sense

If it doesn't even apply, or if these things aren't necessary, then why are they even available? Lots of men in service agree that there's no need for civilians to own weapons for self defense that are weapons of war designed to eliminate large groups of people, very quickly and efficiently.

Nothing has a guarantee of being successful. By that logic, we shouldn't even have founded this country. You have to enact policies and observe what happens to know what changes it will bring.

Dobagoh

01-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirtl0l View Post
what the hell are you talking about?
Besides what has already been mentioned...

MK Ultra, and other various forced drugging, psychological and physical torture experimentation of unwitting US citizens
Tuskegee syphilis experiment
Organized exposure of US citizens to nuclear radiation, via numerous methods, including but not limited to exposure to fallout from nuclear explosions and insertion of radioactive material into bodies of pregnant women and children.
Chemical weapon experimentation on US citizens

At the close of World War II, the US Government recruited thousands of Nazi and Japanese war criminals to work for the US Government so they could continue their "scientific" work in exchange for immunity to their egregious war crimes.

---

You're a fool if you think the government is here to protect you, you're even a bigger fool to trust the government, and you're the biggest fool of all if you think the government passes laws that aren't a bald-faced attempt to curtail your ability to protect yourself against its own abuses to individual liberties.

Kvlt Kitty

01-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light LaserTower View Post
As I have said before though it is way to late for your country every man women and child should be armed.
Currently, yes. But, if we would actually implement policies and over time reduce the number of weapons, it could make for a safer future in the states. But it's NEVER THE TIME TO TALK ABOUT GUN CONTROL. We need to focus on the evils of violent video games and movies. lmfao.