I may watch the news too much...

12345678 ... 14
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

poe tay toes

01-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirtl0l View Post
The UK's crime rate is only 25% higher than US but they still manage to keep homicides to 1/4 of the US, you're only helping my cause.

The UK's high crime rate is largely due to their drug offense rate being 326x higher than our own, which are nonviolent crimes without victims.

Many people debating here do not know their statistics and seem to throw them out like vomit. Not that I expect anything more from pro-gun pro-violence potato heads.
ok, how about the fact that half of our gun murders are black on black (despite them making up about 12% of the population), and the overwhelming majority involve poor people? sounds like we have a problem within a particular subculture. your average american isn't particularly violent or dangerous. our street gang culture is the problem and making guns illegal will do nothing to solve it.

Quote:
Mentioning the president being defended by special agents as a defense for civilian gun rights is total hogwash, like every defense for civilian guns rights ever. The likelihood for such a controversial, black president getting assassinated is very high and it is necessary, don't be so thick.
forgot about that from earlier. why is it hogwash? i'm not saying we need to pull his security. i'm saying if he merits it, so does every american. the president isn't a king. he's just another citizen.

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

01-15-2013

Quote:
... But the gun debate and how passionately the majority of people seem to feel it necessary to be a pull of a trigger away from actually killing someone to defend their oh-so-eventful civilian lives before they can feel safe in suburbia disturbs me.

I feel the more people who believe in the heinous "kill or be killed" motto the more lost our species becomes and the more we prove ourselves deserving of an extinction level event.

In a nutshell that about sums up the majority of my ideals on the subject.

I don't know who would even want to talk about this with an open mind, so I put the burden on you random League of Legends players.
It is fine that you feel the same way as the rest of the sheeple, it means that those that see the dark and horrid underside of humanity are doing their job at keeping it out of your line of sight.

I will say this...

I don't know of a single person, that can legally purchase a firearm, and has been the victim of a serious crime, that didn't look at obtaining their concealed carry permit and training with proper use a firearm.

The ugly truth is that there are enough bad people in this world that would just assume kill you for your shoes to justify the need to protect yourself. The police, fire, and EMS are called "First Responders" not "First Predictors". They are minutes away when seconds count, and you can't fit them in your pocket.

Don't believe me? Ask the 108,000 people who used a firearm to save their lives last year, or at least that is how many the ultra-biased Brady Campaign said existed. Other studies put that number up towards 2.5 million.

Quote:
If someone is out to kill you, you almost certainly got yourself into that mess. If all they want is your stuff, give them your stuff. Do you really want to live with yourself after you killed someone that was only desperate for your plasma screen or whatever? If yes, you're the type of scary person that should not own a gun.
Hu....

Maybe we should inform all the people of random murders, breaking and entering gone bad, etc, that their loved ones deserved it? That they got themselves into the mess?

I suppose JFK was just asking to be shot, or all the Jewish people in Nazi Germany were just asking for it as well. How about all the civilians in Mexico that are randomly shot and left on the side of the road by the cartels?

Yea....they were all asking for it, makes sense now.

Quote:
The UK's crime rate is only 25% higher than US but they still manage to keep homicides to 1/4 of the US, you're only helping my cause.

The UK's high crime rate is largely due to their drug offense rate being 326x higher than our own, which are nonviolent crimes without victims.

Many people debating here do not know their statistics and seem to throw them out like vomit. Not that I expect anything more from pro-gun pro-violence potato heads.
Helping your cause? You are comparing a population of 62.5 million to that of almost 350 million, and the larger population has a LOWER crime rate.

Drug trafficking has no victims? Please....I won't even go into that, as it is obvious you haven't even done cursory research of the matter.

You want to see how gun control laws work out? Well...let's look at Chicago and Washington D.C, they have the most draconian gun laws in this country. Yet, hold onto your pants, the highest crime rates in the nation.....

Wow, those gun laws are working great!

vcadoda

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal Twinkie View Post
Helping your cause? You are comparing a population of 62.5 million to that of almost 350 million, and the larger population has a LOWER crime rate.
...!
That is a per capita comparison, not total numbers

Meaning in the US for every 100k people 5 get murdered. In the uk for every 100k people 1.2 get murdered.
You are comparing 15241 (US) vs 724 (UK)

Otherwise it would make very little sense.

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

01-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcadoda View Post
That is a per capita comparison, not total numbers

Meaning in the US for every 100k people 5 get murdered. In the uk for every 100k people 1.2 get murdered.
Your point?

The crime rate is still significantly higher, especially with drugs. By his, and every other anti-gunner "make love to the killer, don't shoot him" person, the more people and guns, the more violence. Which isn't true, the world and history has shown the more a society is disarmed, the more they are raped and pillaged.

c4lm

01-15-2013

Quote:
the world and history has shown the more a society is disarmed, the more they are raped and pillaged.
Examples?

vcadoda

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campir View Post
Examples?
Well on the global scheme it sort of is.

Like North Korea, ever since they obtained nuclear weapons look how many countries have chosen to invade them. On the other hand countries without a strong deterrent such as Afghanistan tend to be on the receiving end.

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

01-15-2013

Quote:
Examples?
India
Most all of Central Africa
Iran
Iraq
Chicago
Nazi Germany
Washington D.C.
Mexico
Columbia

Need a few more?

c4lm

01-15-2013

Quote:
India
Most all of Central Africa
Iran
Iraq
Chicago
Nazi Germany
Washington D.C.
Mexico
Columbia

Need a few more?
I didn't mean on a global level. Can you name any countries with strict gun laws that have high violent crime rates? Just curious.

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

01-15-2013

Quote:
I didn't mean on a global level. Can you name any countries with strict gun laws that have high violent crime rates? Just curious.
I just gave you a list of countries. Well, a list with other data like periods of time injected....

Right now the biggest one in the news would be Mexico.

Dobagoh

01-15-2013

BTW the Oregon mall shooting a few weeks back stopped because of a guy was there who was open carrying his pistol. The shooter saw him, and ended his rampage by killing himself shortly thereafter.

But the media does not report this fact because it is against their biased gun control agenda.

During the early years of the Roman Republic, the Senate would forcibly take away all the swords of a town that had entered into open rebellion after destroying them on the battlefield.

Those towns would sometimes then get utterly dominated when a neighboring tribe decided to rape them.

12345678 ... 14