Sap Sucker

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nekopawed

01-15-2013

There are a few ways I can envision this item:

An activatable item:
MR: 70
Active: For the next X seconds magic damage dealt to your champion will drain x% of mana away from the source and grant you x/y% as mana.

I'm debating whether the present of mana taken away is based on the amount of mana spent on the skill used or the max mana of source. Obviously energy champions would not be affected. Additionally, I don't want the mana gain to be too strong just enough that it gives a slight edge to the player. May fix those: "If I only had 10 more mana!" moments.

Built from: Negatron Cloak and Chalice of Harmony

--------------------------------------------
A bulwark style upgrade to thornmail

Same Armor and passive of thornmail with addition of:
MR: 25
Passive: When dealt magic damage from a source, drains x% mana from source.

I will stick to a build of Thornmail and Chalice. I had thought of Hexdrinker + Thornmail, but that seemed like an easy upgrade for a few too many champions. Chalice is less often used for tanks and by not increasing the MR makes it still situational.

========================
----------Reasoning---------------------
========================
Adds an interesting component to team fights and changes gameplay. Bursty champions may find themselves needing to focus less on just building up AP, but adding in mana reserves to counteract these items as their chain may slowly drain away their ability to use their next skill. Tanks may walk into AoE skills such as Anivia's ult during a team fight in order to try mana drain the ult away, allowing it to be sustained for shorter durations. Restricts the ability of champions to flee when the fight turns from their favor. Characters such as Ahri and leblanc may find themselves in a turned fight, unable to flee with spells as their mana pockets have been lowered.

==============
---Downsides-------
==============
No one enjoys losing control of their character. Suppresses, stuns, silences all take away from the ability to control said character and makes the summoner frustrated. Knowing that targeting a player with this item will result in a loss of mana is different than just losing health. For many characters health is not reliant on casting spells, so losing some health to them is not too bad. However, losing mana gives the chance that they will not be able to play key spells in their combos or perform escapes when a fight turns.

==============
---Reminders-------
==============
This is just a concept. I tried searching for Mana drain items in the search field and didn't come across anything obvious in the results, please don't kill me if it has been mentioned before. Any constructive comments are welcomed. Especially those worded as: "This would not work because..." or "This is unsuitable for the game as I see it for reasons ..."

Thank you for reading and in advance for any comments you may contribute.

ROOOOOAST

01-15-2013

70 mr, right ....... Guess why FoN was remove of the game.

67chrome

01-15-2013

You really need to add the whole "reduced effect against AoE" with anything converting spell damage into anything as well, otherwise the effectivness it would offer against someone like Anivia will be dramatically different than against someone like LeBlanc.

Also - 1 point of MR generally accomplishes the same thing as 2 points of armor as far as counter-building goes. So 50 MR would be more appropriate for a thorn-mail mirror item.

Magic damage generally scales linearly - with AP being generally the only thing that really scales it. And even if you get CDR and magic penetration, you still need to pick up 150-400 AP just to cause your rank 1-5 skills to deal twice as much damage without magic penetration and CDR, ultimates need closer to 700 AP.

Alternatively, physical damage tends to scale exponentially as the game progresses. An ADC can double their damage with attack damage, attack speed, critical strikes, and armor penetration - with picking up no more than 2 items for each category, which is more than APs can say about ability power - even with AP being half the price of AD. So magic damage goes from 2-->4 while physical damage goes from 1-->2-->4-->8, and even if magic damage stays closer to physical, physical damage tends to not cost any resources to produce - while magic damage does.

That aside, mana draining is incredibly annoying - and mana burn is generally brought up by Zileas as one of the most flawed and anti-fun game mechanics available in DotA. On the side of using it, it generally does nothing noticeable at important times and it's hard to see if a critical amount of mana has been drained. On the receiving end you can potentially get silenced for 30-60 seconds for taking a few hits. There just isn't enough counter-play options avalible, such as mana per hit, %damage converted to mana, mana on critical strikes, etc. for mana burn/mana drain mechanics to really be implemented.

Also, magic damage already has a thornmail counterpart - Banshee's Veil. It shuts down most ability-based champions as hard as thornmail shuts down auto-attack reliant champions. Hexdrinker is another solid choice against burst casters.