Pick vs Call

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nagasis

01-14-2013

Well been playing draft a little more lately and folks love to spam their rolls as soon as the game begins. I believe in pick over call anyday though so I kind of feel like these people need to learn more roles. Anybody else agree or disagree?

SavageWolves

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-14-2013

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...does+this+mean

Here's a thread a few days old addressing more or less the same issue.

KnightxSScarlett

01-14-2013

The general consensus is that the team should work together. So neither is really the answer.

Onij

01-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mageinta Warrior View Post
The general consensus is that the team should work together. So neither is really the answer.
Yeah, I believe that the teams should communicate more during the banning phase, rather than just pick away, or call their spot. If someone calls a position, and are not willing to negotiate, you should remember that you're on their team, and arguing will just lead to bad things. It's not like all four of the other people on your team will be this stubborn, so all you need to do is know more than one role (two will normally work perfectly fine, unless you're stuck with more than one stubborn sob, in which case you should prepare for a bad game) :\

BK Ambientz

01-14-2013

Queue as two roles you can play in draft. Simple solution

Boagster

01-14-2013

@BK Sythen:
Assuming you use role to mean lane, as most people do, that's an overly simple solution that neglects the fact that "the meta" is always changing and that the true roles won't always be expected in certain lanes. Remember, towards the end of Season 1, "the meta" was one top, one bot, one jungler and two mid. There was a time when the jungle was just a place for anyone to farm, not a "lane" in and of itself.

Assuming you use role to mean your actual role in your team's composition, that's an overly simple solution that neglects the fact that team composition can vary widely depending on intended strategy. A split pushing team is best facilitated by a balanced 4-man composition while having a strong AD, preferably with an AS steroid and/or strong escape, to do the pushing; a Protect-the-Kog'maw team requires strong peelers / tanks and a 'hypercarry' such as Kog'maw or Vayne; a standard comp requires a balanced 5-man, using an AP Carry, an AD Carry, a Bruiser, a Support, and either an Assassin, Tank or another Bruiser; an all-bruiser team obviously requires five Bruisers.

On top of either point, you can't stop someone from queuing as one role and then choosing a champion for a completely different role, negating the system. Even if it it's a reportable offense, all it will do is remove one type of griefer and replace it with another.

On the main topic:
The thread SavageWolves linked to did a pretty good job of discussing the downfalls of both systems commonly touted by those who only want to play their desired role and why communicating with your team during champion selection is a fundamental skill all players should try and develop.

Enconex

01-14-2013

Picking top or mid because your first pick I think is one of the worst things you can do if one of your teammates has asked for it. Most of the time you will get countered as first pick and have a hard time in lane. Also, by letting an ally near the bottom pick top/mid lets THEM counter the lane, effective increasing your chance of winning.

This is just my way of seeing things, feel free to disagree.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

01-14-2013

Counter picks don't mean as much as you think they do.

Firezine

01-14-2013

I think pick order should be recognised as the ability to call what position they would like to play. One thing that really gets up my nose is if you are first pick and concentrating on bans, asking the team who would like what banned and before you can hit enter on the keyboard all positions are gone except one and you are forced to take that position.
I can play all roles well, however I do not like to be told what position I am playing when I am first to pick on the team. There is no reason why a person in first can not have mid if they so wish they just need to communicate with the lower picks in the team preferably the support or jungle) to trade.
I find in 60% of games I play people are just plain rude and have no respect.
If I pick last 9/10 I will call "support" and offer a trade to first spot but often they are reluctant to take it because they feel that if they do then someone else will take there role.
Another thing that anoys me is people that play ranked "Draft" games that can ONLY play one role. If you can ONLY play one role, get back to normal and learn another role......
"end rant"

LoudFootSteps

01-14-2013

There is no pick order. If your team isn't willing to cooperate and do the smart thing to do (First/Second pick Jungle/Support, 3 pick ADC, Fourth/Fifth Pick Mid/Top) then there is no hope of winning. I personally only call roles when I do normal blinds only because I play blind specifically to increase my skills on a certain champion.