if you could play the role/champion you like every game, would you like lol better?

yes 10 43.48%
no 13 56.52%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

please prevent people from arguing over roles and chanpions.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sir Fatmir

01-14-2013

please make players prepick their champions, roles, runes, summoner spells and masteries before they apply for a game and make the game put them with people that do not want to play the same role or the same champion. in short, eliminate the lobby phase in non ranked games.it is unnecessary for the game to allow conflict situations between players, when it comes to picking roles and champions. this does not apply to premade teams or even to ranked games to a certain extent, where people are usually more willing to compromise (sometimes :-). but regular normal games, that most of us casual players play, are total hell and that is a sickness this game has inherited from dota. i usually do not get to play the champion i want or the role i want and that is preventing me from getting better at certain roles or champions and gets me into conflict with other players. its always like a hectic race to type mid or top or whatever first, so that you may claim dibs on a role, which is simply stupid and is destroying my game experience. i dont want to argue with others and i do not want the game to rely on human kindness and generosity to prevent that. you need to implement simple solutions to prevent these situations and make the game more enjoyable for a wide population. i would even implement restrictions that would, for example, prevent players bellow level 10 to pick vayne for a supporter role. please RIOT, prevent 1 man from screwing with 9 others, the honor system and the report player system will just not do it. please solve all dota issues this game has inherited, like mia calling (simple counter of visible enemies), like arguing over KS (guild wars 2 solution, make assists=kills) etc.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

LoudFootSteps

01-14-2013

I dodge most games in which someone types in a role before I casually type in Hello in the chat box. In all honesty I have tried staying in some of these games and my teammates end up usually being absolute a**holes.

King Kappa

01-14-2013

Force the meta on ALLLLL THE PLAYERSSSSS

Voyles

01-14-2013

So you don't want to communicate about objectives and roles that are needed for teamwork before the game? Just skip that phase because there might be arguments and criticism? Or because you always want your way in Champion selection?

Boagster

01-14-2013

Firstly, "Top", "Mid" and "Bot" are not roles, they are lanes. "AP Carry", "AD Assassin" and "Tanky Support" are examples of roles. "Jungler" is a psuedo-role, as it implies a certain set of qualifications for the champion you are playing, but does not necessarily dictate the impact your champion will have on your team.

The confusion comes from the fact that we expect certain roles in certain lanes because of "the meta" (which is only the currently accepted dominant strategy, not some hard-and-fast rule of how to play the game). You can always play whatever champion you want, regardless of what lanes other people play, unless someone else picks him or her first, though it's not always in the interest of the team. Actually, the Summoner's Code tells us that we should be trying to fill the roles our team needs, both to increase our chances of winning and to increase our own personal skill at the game.

That said, this is a subject that has been brought up almost daily for well over six months. The thread PogoPogoPogoPogo linked to demonstrates that. Riot has not made any move suggesting they will adopt this. Honestly, I feel their silence on the subject suggests they never will. I would go into details as to why this is not a great idea, but it has all been touched upon in the aforementioned thread. Give it a read, you might learn something.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

01-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PogoPogoPogoPogo View Post
This post was made for a reason. Stop rehashing it all again. You're just encouraging others to open threads like this in the future.

Zooie

01-14-2013

What you should do is pick the chamion you like and ask what lane is best for yours or what lane you should take i learned this after ppl told me to play alistar... i didnt have fun at all
Hope this helps in a tiny way

SavageWolves

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-14-2013

Asking people to stop arguing is like asking the sun not to come up every day. People have been arguing and fighting for their individual desires since they started speaking.

And anyway, getting a game would take forever, cause no one would queue up as support.

Old idea. You're not original. Go read Pogo's post.

deathmetalfan

01-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageWolves View Post
And anyway, getting a game would take forever, cause no one would queue up as support.
Support players are generally the best players in the game as their role demands the most knowledge of League of Legends; map awareness, objective control, knowledge of counters, calling plays, following through on tank initiation, peeling for team carries and exploiting weaknesses in the opponent's team setup. All good supports will do these things. I have even seen some support players engage in psychological warfare with the enemy team to great effect.

The reason most people don't queue up as supports is because they are bad at doing all the above things. It's a lot of responsibility to handle. Additionally, the support is responsible for carrying the ranged AD through early game where his/her champion is extremely weak. There is no greater joy for a Caitlyn player than a Taric who stands like an immovable wall in front of her, zoning off the enemy laners while she farms away in safety. If you've never seen an Alistar land that perfect Flash -> Pulverize onto 4 members of the enemy team while Twitch gleefully ults them into oblivion I feel sorry for you. Supports generally make the plays in bot lane. How good the play is depends on the synergy between them and the AD carry.

Finally, don't ever think that people who play support do so because they can't play any other role. I'm reasonably good at every role. I'm a very good mid and an excellent jungler. But I will never call those roles. Why? Because I'm an exceptional support player and I know that in any solo queue game, I am likely the best at support among my teammates. I want to give my AD carry the best chance at carrying me in late game (where I am weakest).

If you don't want to listen to me, just take it from TSM. Reginald maintains that Xpecial nearly always crushes him mid in normals where they get paired on opposite teams. We're not bad at other roles. We just let you have the easier ones.

Loving Regards,
A great support player