Ranked top counters

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Runa44

01-14-2013

Some friends and I created a ranked 5's team and I am the top ad role. I am confident in a few champions but I realize I need to broaden my horizons.
I am good with:
Garen
Irelia
Pantheon
Olaf.

My question is what other top lane champions should I learn in order to be able to counter efficiently

Zombiemaster

01-14-2013

I don't know if you want any AP champions on that list, but if you do I recommend giving Rumble a try. He is a little weak for the first 2 levels, but once you get rank 2 Flamespitter your harass is quite strong, especially if you're in the danger zone. Plus his ultimate The Equalizer is an amazing team fight ability and can turn the tides of one pretty quickly.

If you don't want an AP, I would recommend Jayce. He can be ranged and harass well against the many melee champs in top lane, and if you get jumped on you can easily disengage with your E in Hammer form. A big problem though is that he does have early mana issues if you use your E+Q combo in Cannon form a lot, but he is still a decent champion in top lane due to his range.

Amaltron

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-14-2013

Rumble
Vlad
Darius
Cho
Jax
Malph
Lee
Olaf
Shen
Xin
Zed
Yorick
Jayce

These should be staples to learn imo.

Pads

01-14-2013

i would probably learn jayce and yorick
those are two tops that counter a LOT of other tops lol

I'd say three champs to counter them all would be yorick cho and jayce

btw: on jayce and yorick i recommend the flask ward 3hp 2mana pot opening

JRiMi

01-14-2013

Also khazix is pretty strong right now. At least he works well for me

Pixiehorse

01-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAdunnoe View Post
And if you get countered top, get the same. Or 5 hp if you dont need the mana. Or 2 wards and 2 pots plus flask.

Runa44

01-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAdunnoe View Post
i would probably learn jayce and yorick
those are two tops that counter a LOT of other tops lol

I'd say three champs to counter them all would be yorick cho and jayce

Yeah I'm decent with jayce if the occasion calls for it. And I saw yorick is countering a lot of the main top champions, he was going to be the next one I learn. Why does he counter so hard

Pads

01-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runa44 View Post
Yeah I'm decent with jayce if the occasion calls for it. And I saw yorick is countering a lot of the main top champions, he was going to be the next one I learn. Why does he counter so hard
i haven't read much about why he counters but from playing him.....
He basically denies so much cs because he just keeps spawning ghouls on you. You can run away but you're missing cs and exp. You can run into the bush but a good Yorick will just w on top of you to gain vision. You can sit there and get cs but you will take a lot of damage.

To counter yorick you have to outsustain him or the jungler has to win the lane for you

Yorick doesn't ever go all out aggressive on you though. I think he's more of a denial sort of champ, especially because to go agressive you need to flash as you have no gap closers besides the slow on your w.

OreIsan

01-14-2013

Riven is amazing at bullying late game champs out of lane. It's so hard to win a lane against riven as irelia until 9+ due to rivens mobility, shield and stun and passive adding 60+ damage per AA.

Olaf as well is really OP when played well or if he gets that 1st kill in lane, and so hard to gank post 6.

Rengar and Kha'xiz aren't as good as they were but still can dominate a lane if they get going.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

01-14-2013

You should learn Jax so that you can play the best champion in the game. Jax's primary counter is when the enemy team has picked him so you can't pick him yourself. Other than that, Teemo can be a bit bothersome for Jax...

But ultimately, you know what Jax is the best counter to? Jax is the best counter to having a bad AP mid teammate or a bad ADC teammate. Jax can fill either (or both) of those roles just as well (if not better) than your teammate would have filled that role if he weren't having a bad game.