Tips for Jax

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

adc

01-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PogoPogoPogoPogo View Post
The cooldown at Q for ranks 1-5 is 10, 9, 8, 7, 6.
The cooldown for W for ranks 1-5 is 7, 6, 5, 4, 3.

The DAMAGE on the Q spell scales better, however the total damage output of W is higher thanks to Sheen. Q can still proc sheen, but when both spells are maxed, W is hitting twice as often. So, when I play Jax, I'm typically playing a pretty passive laning phase and farming. I'm aiming for the Sheen. That's Jax's big powerspike, and maxing W first maximizes your damage out put with Sheen.

The reason to take Q at level one is because of the free mobility. It's a 10 second flash. If the enemy decides to duel you at level 1, just Leap Strike away. Jax isn't going to be all that great at dueling till 3 whether you take E or Q first. Meanwhile, taking Q first makes you better at trading.

And with Jax, I'm never ultra worried about "oh no, I had to flash" at level 1 because I have my Q. The Q can be used offensively or defensively during an invade, while E can only be used if I can stay close to my target. I may have to use flash anyway on an invade with E just to stun them and get the kill. I'd rather just have Q.

But Jax, like most tops, has to be in melee range to last hit anyway, so taking Q first means you can auto-attack an enemy and walk away, or you can Q-in to the enemy, auto-attack him, snag a last hit, then walk away.

If your FLASH cooldown is the reason you're doing anything on Jax, then you're playing the wrong champion.
But what hero is going to try and duel jax? Unless they're bad, they're not going to let you do more than hit them a couple times. I prefer to max Q first so I can jump in nearly twice as often with the Q -> W + ult proc.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

01-14-2013

I don't necessarily have a problem with maxing Q first, it's just not my preferred play style. Even with a 10 second cooldown till I put my second point in at level 8, I'm not keeping my Q on cooldown. But to justify Q first, you really do have to be using multiple Qs in under 10 seconds. Are you doing this?

Meanwhile, Jax's E, Q in, W, finish E, W again may not be able to trade nearly as often, but you're dishing out a lot more damage when you do trade, especially once you have your Sheen finished.

Let's consider a level 7 Jax.

10 second Q
4 second W
18 second E
and his ult passive proc

OR

7 second Q
7 second W
18 second E
and his ult passive proc

You can go in for a second trade a whole three second earlier, but you'll absolutely never land two Ws in any of those trades.

Maxing W first means you can land multiple Ws.

And there's one other incentive to max W first. Although the damage on W itself doesn't scale as well, W deals magic damage while Q deals physical damage. By maxing W first, you're going to be pretty balanced in terms of your damage output, so the enemy can't just by a chain vest to deal with you. And of course, if you're laning against a Rammus or Malphite who will build armor regardless, it's that much better.

iETL

01-14-2013

Add me, I'll show you how to jungle Jax.