Tips for Jax

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

P1NECO

01-13-2013

I have recently bought Jax and I have had some good and bad games with him. I would like to know a build for him, what lane is he best in, what jungle rough to take, summoner spells, and what order to take his skills. Thank you very much appreciated.

OreIsan

EvanIfy

01-13-2013

To be honest, I don't think Jax is good that much in the jungle. I believe he's more a top laner.
As for builds, google mobafire and you'll find a number of useful guides on every champion in LoL.
As top Jax I take Flash and Exhaust. You should max your W first, than your E.
Also, get TF on Jax. He become a monster.

BigWenus

01-13-2013

Pogo should be here soon. LOL

PogoPogoPogoPogo

01-13-2013

Jax is better top lane than in the jungle, however if you're playing jungle Jax, Wriggles lantern is a core item. The free ward is used for a Leap Strike target.

Ultimately, there are PLENTY of viable builds for Jax though, it really all depends on what your team needs. But here's the thing, there are two things you must always build on Jax.

1. Hextech Gunblade (when I play lane Jax, Vampiric Scepter is my first item purchased)

2. Sheen. You can upgrade your sheen into any of its three upgrades although you should almost never be using Lich Bane, but you absolutely must build a Sheen.

The rest of his build is super flexible, but if you'd like me to put in the build I've been shooting for mostly lately, I can do that if you want.

As for skill order, LANE Jax looks like this:

Q, E, W, W, W, R for the first 6 levels, then after that, R > W > Q > E

I'm pretty sure jungle Jax starts E, however. I haven't played Jax jungle in s3 yet. But I imagine E, W, W, Q, W, R would work. You could take Q at 3 instead of 4 if you wanted to go for a level 3 gank.

Shallow Cubes

01-13-2013

The skill order Pogo recommended for S3 Jungle Jax is accurate, including his clause for a level 3 gank.

Aside from that... In terms of builds, if you opt for Boots of Mobility or Ninja Tabi, you can make up for the lost Tenacity by going for a Zephyr, which is another great synergy item with Jax.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

01-13-2013

Yea, Zephyr is a great Jax item if you need Tenacity. I personally don't build it that often because usually I prefer earlier tenacity and MR, so I just build Mercury's Treads, but Zephyr is a great option, has a lot of stats Jax likes.

You can even build Beserker's Greaves on Jax. Or heck, even the Magic Penetration boots. In fact, here's a breakdown of how all the boots work for Jax.

The CDR boots are pretty bad on Jax for a few reasons. First off, you'll easily make the CDR cap with other items you build that have a lot of other great Jax stats on them. Second off, getting that much CDR that early doesn't really work that great for Jax who can run into mana issues early if you're spamming spells that much (and if you're not spamming, you don't need CDR, do you?). Third, and finally, there are a lot of other good early stats to get on boots.

Ninja Tabi are good. These work in almost any match. I prefer these to Mercury Treads a lot of times if I'm not worried about CC.

Mercury Treads are the best way to get early MR as Jax, and the Tenacity is nice. I end up building these almost any time I'm worried about CC, because I'd rather not feel like I have to rush Zephyr--there are other items I prefer building to Zephyr.

Sorceror's Shoes. I've never built these on Jax because I've never felt the need to go full AP. I don't particularly like the idea of full AP Jax, but I think it can work. You'd want to build Sorc shoes any time you're also upgrading sheen into Lich Bane...and building a Rabadon's.

Boots of Mobility... I've never built these on Jax, and if you're playing lane Jax you probably never should, but they're a good option for Jungle Jax. And honestly, if it looks like you're going to need to split push with Jax, these are probably the best option too.

Beserker's Greaves are good any time your ADC is playing terrible and you're going to have to fill that ADC role.

Boots of Swiftness hardly even deserve a mention because you shouldn't be building these on any champion. Ever.

As for boot enchantments, generally I default to Alacrity, but I take Captain when I know I'm splitpushing (25% minion move speed is pretty huge). Furor can work for Jax, but I prefer Alacrity to help me escape rather than Furor which only works when I'm in combat. Homeguard I'd take if you're running teleport, but I never run teleport on Jax.

EDIT: And speaking of summoner spells, I run flash always. Jungle Jax needs to roll with smite. Lane Jax can go Exhaust or Ignite (or teleport I guess), but I generally take ignite.

Agent of God

01-14-2013

i disagree with the previous posts. even when you're laning with jax, you should always take stun. why? since you're top you're gonna either be helping blue (or red) or guarding it and either way, if the enemy decides to invade, you can just stun them and walk away instead of having to use flash. unless you bought a ward then you can q to that i guess. also if the enemy jungler decides to gank you after their red or blue, if you take stun, you can just stun the jungler and laner and walk away as opposed to having to flash away cause you took q and there is no minion wave coming down your lane to q to.

plus having your e is very useful in situations where your enemy decides to duel you at level 1

adc

01-14-2013

I'd personally suggest maxing Q first. You can two hit + jump for the harass far more often, and it lowers the cooldown drastically.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

01-14-2013

The cooldown at Q for ranks 1-5 is 10, 9, 8, 7, 6.
The cooldown for W for ranks 1-5 is 7, 6, 5, 4, 3.

The DAMAGE on the Q spell scales better, however the total damage output of W is higher thanks to Sheen. Q can still proc sheen, but when both spells are maxed, W is hitting twice as often. So, when I play Jax, I'm typically playing a pretty passive laning phase and farming. I'm aiming for the Sheen. That's Jax's big powerspike, and maxing W first maximizes your damage out put with Sheen.

The reason to take Q at level one is because of the free mobility. It's a 10 second flash. If the enemy decides to duel you at level 1, just Leap Strike away. Jax isn't going to be all that great at dueling till 3 whether you take E or Q first. Meanwhile, taking Q first makes you better at trading.

And with Jax, I'm never ultra worried about "oh no, I had to flash" at level 1 because I have my Q. The Q can be used offensively or defensively during an invade, while E can only be used if I can stay close to my target. I may have to use flash anyway on an invade with E just to stun them and get the kill. I'd rather just have Q.

But Jax, like most tops, has to be in melee range to last hit anyway, so taking Q first means you can auto-attack an enemy and walk away, or you can Q-in to the enemy, auto-attack him, snag a last hit, then walk away.

If your FLASH cooldown is the reason you're doing anything on Jax, then you're playing the wrong champion.