New Player Looking for help and info about lanes

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rhaegarking

01-13-2013

Hey everyone,
I am a new player and I was just wondering about what champion to pick for what lane? Also what makes a champion good for a certain lane?
On the same note what kind of things are expected of each lane?
Thanks in advance for any serious response!

OhBoyItsaMegaman

01-13-2013

At low levels, anyone can go in any lane. There's really no getting around it; games will be won by whichever team has people who are better at the game. The advantage you get from a specific team set-up is far outweighed by the advantage of having a Fizz with Mejai's and 7 kills by 9 minutes.

At higher levels, you want a fragile AP carry in mid lane, a fragile ranged AD carry in bot lane with a support who kills no minions, a tanky melee champion in top lane, and a tanky melee champion in the jungle killing neutral monsters. You want the duo lane to be on bottom so that they're near the dragon, and you want the AD carry in the duo lane because they are harmed the least by splitting experience... their damage output is primarily based on how much gold they earn.

Dashinize

01-13-2013

There are 4 lanes (yes 4)

To start off, Top lane.
In Top lane, you're expecting a brusier champion. A champion that is innately tanky, and can take some harassment from enemy champions, and still dish out a moderate amount of damage. Since these champions can deal huge amounts of damage without extensive retaliation from the mid / bot lane champions, these are the champions that snowball the hardest. Snowball is a term meaning if you get one kill early, you can use that advantage and completely wreck house.
Examples of top lane champions are: Darius, Riven, Pantheon, Garen
Some wonky examples, but top lane champions are: Teemo, Rumble, Vladimir.

Mid lane.
This is the lane for your highest burst damage champion. These champions will be usually AP, or AD assassins. You have the fastest source of income, as your creeps get there faster, and you are usually allowed to take the jungle's wraiths well into the match for a larger source of income. With all that, you should be leading the team in gold and level. The lane also has the highest number of ganking routes, so wards are mandatory or else you will be farmed by the enemy jungler.

Some examples of AP champions are: Kassadin, Annie, Lux, Katarina, Ahri
Some examples of Assassin champs are: Zed, Talon, Kha Zix,

Bot lane
This is the lane where you got the champion with the highest snowballing potential, at the same time a horrendous early game compared to most champions. This requires a babysitter, or known as the support. Bot lane consists of a ranged ADC and a support, but sometimes you might see two brusier champions at bot trying to get easy early kills off of the squishy ADC and support. Since there are 2 people in lane you gain less EXP compared to other lanes, but the support generally isn't supposed to take any CS (creep score) so your gold income shouldn't vary that much.

Ranged ADC examples: Varus, Ezreal, Vayne, Graves
Support examples: Sona, Lux, Soraka, Taric
Kill lane combos: Xin and Pantheon for example.

Lastly: The jungle.
I consider the jungle a lane. Do you have pathing? check. Are there creeps to kill? check. Does the other half of the "lane" have an enemy doing what you're doing? Check.
Anyways, The jungle consists of usualy a tanky jungler, who takes out the creeps in the jungler for their source of income and levels. The jungler will be constantly roaming around the map for their income, and with this comes the advantage of being able to help lanes in trouble. Imagine if the other enemy Mid champ is getting the advantage over your own mid-lane, you can rush in from the side brushes, kill the enemy mid as it will be a 2v1, and retreat, both of you gaining gold / xp, and now your mid lane champion has the advantage.
Important note, you must ALWAYS use smite while in the jungle. If not, you will have 0 control over the buffs, the dragon (which gives global gold), or baron (which gives global gold and a massive buff to your entire team)

Jungler examples are: Udyr, Shyvana, Lee Sin, Fiddlesticks, warwick, etc

Delete Teemo

01-13-2013

Although players here give just a few examples, many MANY champs can go in certain lanes, in particular jungle, mid, and top. here's a general view of the type of champs in each lane

Mid: Usually AP damage dealers, but certain ad assasains commonly go mid, like talon.

Top: Usually a tanky bruiser who can handle being in lane for a while and kill their opponent, can be AP (such as rumble) or AD (Vi) Some top champs can go mid very well.

Jungle: Tank cc machne jungler used to be all the rage before S3, and theyre still aweosmely strong. In S3 tough, many bruisers from top can jungle, some assasains, and even some of the tankier ap's can jungle. Basically, if they clear camps fast while retaining decent hp, and can gank well, they're played in the jungle sometimes or always.

Support: Usually any champ with heals/ great cc, or buffs for the ad carry who can live on a very low budget are considered supports. Many unconventional champions can support, like jarvan, yorick, and fiddlesticks. You won't see these much, though

AD carry: This is fairly limited. Basically, if riot gave them the carry tag in the store, and they're ranged, they're an ad carry. In this setup, melee carries aren't that useful, so pick a ranged one for sure.

Rhaegarking

01-13-2013

Thank you guys so much for the great responses! I think I have some idea of what champs should go to which lanes haha. I really do appreciate the detailed responses. I prefer bruiser/tanky champs so far so I guess I should try out top lane/jungle. Thanks again!