Favorite Support Champions? and Sona as a Support

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Oconnigan

01-13-2013

Sometimes i get stuck with supporting in ranked and the only support champions i can seem to even remotely do good with are Veigar and Gankplank which i usually get yelled at for using even though i usually do quite well. Standard support I've tried are soraka, alistar, taric, and janna all of which i find either incredibly boring or am just bad with them. I was looking for another support champ and was thinking of getting sona and was wondering how well she worked. So i was wondering who your favorite support was to use and how well sona performs as a support

If I were Jesus

01-13-2013

Taric es #1

Qsario

01-13-2013

Taric is the simplest, but if you don't like playing support, that's a good thing.

My favorite is Janna, but I'm biased being a Janna main. She has a very high skill cap and after hundreds of games with her, I'm not even close to it.

Basically, when playing her, you play to save your allies, not so much to kill anyone. Mind you, that doesn't mean that you don't ever try--I've flashed over to W many a person for the kill--it's just not your main goal. In lane, you practice shielding mechanics to negate as much harass as possible and you save tornadoes to disengage whenever they try to jump someone. Tornadoes are not for poking, they just won't do much unless you've built more AP & MPen than you can usually afford and they eat through your mana quickly, especially at low levels. Tornado is probably Janna's most important skill, because it disrupts channels, blocks off routes, secures kills and protects you. What do I mean by "protects you"? I mean before you face check that bush, you cover yourself with a tornado (this is assuming you have few other options). You don't have to use instant tornadoes to hit people either: cover your own escape route and let them follow you so they can eat the full tornado. This is especially good if they have gap closers, because while you're getting hit by that, your tornado will come up behind you and negate them.

Shield is your sustain. Many people use smartcast. I do not. I use the target champion 1/2/3/4 keys in conjunction with shield, which are on ZXCV for me. So E+Z shields ally #1 and so on. In other words, in lane, I'm probably typing EZ every time I want to shield Ez, and I can do that as soon as I hear the sound for Caitlyn's peacemaker and negate her harass.

Your W is a very situational nuke. It's your strongest spell, but it also gives you a lot of your movespeed. You only use it when fleeing if there's just one person (and maybe not even then, because it's low range). When chasing, you probably want to W+tornado because if you're not close enough to land a W, the tornado probably won't hit either, except when they go around corners and you can tornado through a wall to try to catch them.

Your ult is incredibly hard to get right, but very satisfying when you do it. You rarely use it to heal, you almost always use it to move the enemy team away. You can also pin them to thick walls (great for securing kills) and push them through thin ones (this can be good or bad...). You rarely get to channel it for long, though.

If you know how to build any other support, there's nothing complex about building Janna. I run a little extra movespeed via the utility mastery + quints. This lets me buy boots very late in the game and still stay ahead of people. For skill order, you get an early level in tornado but max it last. Shield is maxed first, then W.

Orpheon

01-13-2013

It's kind of a toss-up between Nami and Leona for me.

Leona is naturally pretty durable; once you've got the hang of landing Zenith Blade and her ult well, you've already solved half of her equation. Just keep the standard support rules in mind: Ward that river/bushes, keep an eye on your map, and use your summoner spells judiciously (I suggest flash/exhaust). She'll come to ya, though she may not be the most entertaining tank.

Nami isn't half so durable, but she comes tailor-made for support with an AoE stun Q, a bouncing heal/harass, a steroid for your carry, an ult that can change the course of a battle, and a passive that's icing on the cake. She's far trickier than Leona or Taric but very rewarding once you've got her down pat and works well with nearly any ADC.

Qsario has the right of it, though; as a support your job is almost 97% of the time to help your team secure the kills. I'm not really an outstanding player so I imagine their advice is better than mine :P.