New jungle items are not viable

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Intellectional

01-13-2013

I like finishing Spirit of the Ancient Golem and picking up Swiftness boots on Mundo. It's worked for me, but I don't know if it's optimal after you crunch the numbers.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

01-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intellectional View Post
I like finishing Spirit of the Ancient Golem and picking up Swiftness boots on Mundo. It's worked for me, but I don't know if it's optimal after you crunch the numbers.
Probably not.

I'm watching Crumbzz stream right now. It's 21 minutes in and here's his Mundo build...

Hunter's Machete
Warmog's Armor
Boots of Speed (level 1 boots)
Giants Belt
Chain Vest (he's building sunfire cape)

Gimpyloser

01-13-2013

Quote:
Don't think so, although I'd never play Mundo in a serious game. Olaf is a similar champ and much more viable if that tanky, slowing type of jungle is your preference.

CounterSnipe

01-14-2013

New jungle items are pretty good. And don't forget the regular items got re-worked too.

EX) On tanky junglers who liked to build Giant's Belt, they can now build into a bruiser item (F.M.) or a tanky item (R.O.)

If you're running an AP item like diana, grab the new lucky pick, it gives 6g10 and upgrades into a cheap item that gives MR, AP, and a slowing activation that can be used to gank...

You really should look at these new items. They're freaking awesome.

Lumberjock

01-14-2013

I dunno, the tank one still grants health and tenacity, which means you can get diff boots. The ADC one is like having red buff at all times, and spell vamp and cdr on skarner early instead of the luxury stats that they tend to be is very good.

Whats important to note here is that pros are pros, and the rest of us are not them. Those games really can be over inside of 15 minutes, i'm talking turrets down at the nexus kind of over. Not the typical experience for the rest of us.

LogicalTautology

01-14-2013

Unpopular opinion alert here, but I think it's because we're not seeing competitive play this weekend: we are seeing amateur play. The level of play from a lot of the teams this weekend was frankly nowhere near the level of play you would see from TSM, CLG, Dig, and Curse. Multiple teams lost games because one or more of their lanes kept overextending and getting ganked.
In a true competitive game where the jungler won't be able to gank easily in the early game anyways, it is much more rewarding to rush a tier 3 jungle item and just farm the jungle all day long. In a game where people are overextending without wards, it makes it more worthwhile to spend money on items for fighting enemy champions and ganks.

Boagster

01-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberjock View Post
I dunno, the tank one still grants health and tenacity, which means you can get diff boots. The ADC one is like having red buff at all times, and spell vamp and cdr on skarner early instead of the luxury stats that they tend to be is very good.

Whats important to note here is that pros are pros, and the rest of us are not them. Those games really can be over inside of 15 minutes, i'm talking turrets down at the nexus kind of over. Not the typical experience for the rest of us.
While I think your argument for Spirit of the Ancient Golem (tanky jungle item) is pretty valid (particularly because it opens up Ninja Tabi on a tanky jungler), I think your point about Spirit of the Elder Lizard is moot. Blade of the Ruined King (if AD) and Liandry's Torment (if AP) serves much the same purpose and are much, much better options than SotEL, except possibly for some fringe cases.

I, myself, will not upgrade machete unless I will get fantastic benefit out of a Wriggle's, and even then, only when I've had one or two successful early ganks. I tried the upgrades when we first received them and I was not impressed in the least.

I have not build Spirit Stone since then, ever. If I want the regeneration, I'll build a Philosopher's Stone. It might have less stats and cost me 200 gold more, but it'll eventually put me ahead in gold, while the stats are good enough in most situations I could want it, with the possibility of useful upgrades in some games. I'll admit, though, after looking at the sell price on Spirit Stone, I'm reconsidering upgrading to it (but rarely, if ever, past it).

adc

01-14-2013

Quote:
Swiftness boots.
Intellectional wat r u doin

Intellectional

stahp

Boagster

01-14-2013

Also, what AD Bottom said. You should almost never buy Boots of Swiftness. They only give you 15 more MS. The passive may sound nice, but unless you are constantly being slowed (Rylai's on Amumu, for example), the Tenacity from Mercurial Treads will overall provide better slow protection (it won't reduce the slow, but it will reduce the duration) while giving you protection from other CC and much-loved MR.

adc

01-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boagster View Post
Also, what AD Bottom said. You should almost never buy Boots of Swiftness. They only give you 15 more MS. The passive may sound nice, but unless you are constantly being slowed (Rylai's on Amumu, for example), the Tenacity from Mercurial Treads will overall provide better slow protection while giving you much-loved MR.
I'd personally do away with the "almost". Once you have upgraded boots, 3 MS quints gives you nearly the bonus of swifts. The MS masteries almost do as well. Any MS items will give you more of a bonus.

If you're dealing with a constant slow, just get the 15% slow reduction mastery.