New jungle items are not viable

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gimpyloser

01-13-2013

I've watched the LCS Qualifiers all weekend. I have seen every game and I am loving it. The one thing that has stood out over all is that I have not seen one of the new jungle items completed. Some champs will go into madreds but most stop at the machete. I assume this is due to the 2400g cost of completing a jungle end item not being viable when compared to other possible item completions. Seems like the pros would much prefer a warmong or sunfire rush over the new jungle items based on my observations in this tournament.

Any word on a potential buff to the new jungle items to make them more of a viable option?

PogoPogoPogoPogo

01-13-2013

I wasn't paying that close attention, but at one point I did notice that SntVicious had like 3 or 4 completed items on Cho'gath but still sitting on Machete.

If this truly is a pattern, it's certainly far from what Riot intended, and I'm sure the items will be improved in some way to make them more enticing.

Gimpyloser

01-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PogoPogoPogoPogo View Post
I wasn't paying that close attention, but at one point I did notice that SntVicious had like 3 or 4 completed items on Cho'gath but still sitting on Machete.

If this truly is a pattern, it's certainly far from what Riot intended, and I'm sure the items will be improved in some way to make them more enticing.
Yea man it is every game. Some will go for madreds, which is still an old item, but not one jungler onany team has built a jungle item. Almost every jungler just sits on machete and goes into their builds. They don't even build into tier 2 of the new jungle items, but instead go for a philo stone, or straight for sunfire/warmongs.

Gimpyloser

01-13-2013

Reasoning behind it, I'd assume, is that the machete is adequete for jungle clearing, and the other older items are more viable in a team fight or gank.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

01-13-2013

None of them built Wriggles for the ward?

Gimpyloser

01-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PogoPogoPogoPogo View Post
None of them built Wriggles for the ward?
I don't think so, I did see a few sighstones built by junglers though. It's 1300g to go from machete to wriggles which is the same price and buying a ruby sightstone flat out. For a Lee Sin having 5 wards in your pocket are a much better option and the 300 health is perfect. Not that the 15 atk damage, 30 armor, and 10% lifesteal isn't good, but for the same price, hard not to take the 5 wards/300 health.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

01-13-2013

Yea, Sightstone is great even outside of supports.

Sightstone is a good buy for Katarina, Lee Sin, or Jax (although, I still haven't got myself into the habit of building it on Jax).

LoudFootSteps

01-13-2013

When I jungle (I am a terrible jungle though) I usually sit on my machete because I could use the 1300 gold to start a better item that goes into my core build, since Wriggle's gets sold for me anyway. I think buying a Sightstone is a good idea but I like to get vision wards to help me counterjungle better.

Gimpyloser

01-13-2013

I wouldn't build it on anyone but support and jungler. Having 2 on a team is ideal. It gives you 6 wards on the map at all times. It is nice for kat and jax for escapes, but not worth it in most cases because the frequency in which you need the escape doesn't justify the cost over just buying a couple regular wards. Lee Sin is an exception because he so frequenty uses wards offensively as well as defensively. Of course it is a great item for any jungler, allowing for greta jungle wards to protect your buffs or counter the enemy, and just to help out your lanes by throwing them a ward.

Gimpyloser

01-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudFootSteps View Post
When I jungle (I am a terrible jungle though) I usually sit on my machete because I could use the 1300 gold to start a better item that goes into my core build, since Wriggle's gets sold for me anyway. I think buying a Sightstone is a good idea but I like to get vision wards to help me counterjungle better.
Yea exactly and that is what we are seeing in the more experienced players. None of the top tier jungle items can compete with the other top end items, which forces you to sell late game and even sets you back on gank potential/teamfight potential early - late game. The extra damage to monsters is simply not needed for a good jungle clear and they seemed to have balanced the other stats by giving the + damage to monsters equal importance. Problem is, it isn't of equal importance because junglers are doing just fine. Only real options are to increase the scaling difficulty of the jungle mobs as the game progresses to make the bonus monser damage a necessity or boost the other stats on the items.