Question about items and building

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vieryn

01-13-2013

Hi! I just have a question on how I should build my skills and what items i should purchase...I use the standard optimal build and buy the recommended items pretty often just because I'm still trying to get familiar with all the different components. But I was just wondering, how many people actually use this? Is it just like a starting point and then you determine what you want to do based on your play style? or is it more concrete and the "best" way to do things?

I'm just struggling a bit with the standards they give me and I'm wondering if I should continue trying to work with it or if I should begin to try to tailor it to my play style?

I was also wondering about being banned for feeding? I have only played games against bots in the beginner level, and I plan on doing quite a few games in intermediate before playing against actual people...I still go pretty negative (my worst game was like...-12..horrible, I know). This is the first PC game I've ever played and it's really hard to get used to, but I'm trying and I always let my team know that I'm new and open to advice.

I'm just wondering if I can be banned for being very negative when playing against bots? Or how negative you have to go to be considered "feeding"? I'm just nervous and don't want to be banned :/

I play Vi, in case that helps

BurstDemon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-13-2013

Don't worry, as long as isn't intentional and you let your team know, than you should be fine. As for building items, it really depends on the champion you're playing, but while your still new, I'd build the recommended items or look up a guide on Mobafire or Solomid. Eventually, you should try experimenting with your own items and whatnot, or studying guides and crafting one like that to have your own build. If you want someone to play with while you learn how to play, go ahead and add me. BurstDemon

TehomCD

01-13-2013

The recommended items are actually really good now. The shop interface was revamped very recently; before, it used to only list a few items, while now it lists a lot more under different useful headings. There's items people might build under different conditions, like building against the enemy team's primary damage types, but for the most part it's solid. In bot games, I would gravitate towards the magic resistance items it recommends, since the AI team compositions tend to be very predominantly magic-based.

Don't worry too much about going negative, especially in bot games. Unless people think you're doing it intentionally, they won't report you. Even a lot of people who say they're going to report you won't follow through with it, if they're enough of a jerk to say that. Just continue working on the fundamentals - last-hitting/farming, escaping from death and getting kills, grouping up to push or to stop enemy pushes, etc.

Vieryn

01-13-2013

I'm terrible with last hitting...which is awful because it usually ends up with me lacking in the level department...

That's another thing, how can I level faster? I always seem to be a few levels behind the highest. I stay pretty even with everyone else but sometimes I really lag behind and it makes it difficult because the bot champs level quickly and it usually just ends up with me dying more and it's just a cycle that results in my lane being pushed by the bots..

Byankuya

01-13-2013

How close do you stick to the minions? There's a set range where you get the experience from them. You could also get the mastery for it (Awareness) when you have enough points (though it takes 12 to get to that level on the support tree). You could also pick off the golems nearby your lane if the jungler isn't using them at the time (like on the other side of the map or something).

Praelox

01-13-2013

As BurstDemon said, guides on Mobafire and SoloMid are incredibly useful. When you are new to the game, these guides provide an effective strategy, and offer insight if you choose to read the full guide. Until you begin to understand the game more, these guides are good indicators of an effective way to play your champion of choice. I would suggest following guides for a while, until you get comfortable with the different items and the different statistics.

Vieryn

01-13-2013

Thanks so much!! everyone has been so helpful! I really appreciate it

Fate000

01-13-2013

Lasthitting takes practice. I suggest taking a melee champion with some ability that resets the attack timer (I use Shyvana's Twin Bite for this purpose). This makes lasthitting much, much easier as if you screw up you can use the ability to attack again immediately. You can pay attention to how much damage you're doing and try to attack only minions who have less than that of HP left. Vi's Excessive Force is excellent for that point.

For levels I suggest trying to harass champions. No need to kill them, but try to attack them ever so often while laning; if you can force them to return to base you can farm for free!

As for items, looking on http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-le...hampion/vi-109 (that's the page for Vi, your choice of champion apparently) will give you a list of guides; follow them. Be sure to read the entire guide as some items can be very situational. Don't worry about runes for now.

Also, you can add me in game - I'll give you some tips. I'm not a Vi player but I have some champions that are similar; we should lane together so I can help you learn lasthitting better.

PS: No you can't get banned for feeding. The Tribunal is actually very fair and makes little mistakes; plus you need to be reported a huge number of times to even have a chance of entering, more then just being new can possibly give you.
Also, the definition of 'feeding' is dying so much that one enemy becomes an unstoppable force of destruction. That doesn't really happen in easy bot games (watch out in Intermediate bots, these are strong). Alternate definition is dying more often then your combined kill+assist.

Rooster DWSF

01-13-2013

One thing to do is be aware of your surroundings. Try to avoid situations where you might possibly get ganked (Attacked by 2 or more players). Try things like stick and move (boxing term). It means you just harass the enemy player and quickly back off a little. Then when they are low enough on health you just unleash the fury on them. Just go full on assault. This is usually the case if it's 1 on 1. But if it's just you and 2 others I would play more stick and move. Just harass them and try to avoid the gank. Use your best judgement and be very careful. I am still new to this game too and I am still learning some things but I can generally hold my own in the lanes.

Most importantly though. Just have fun in the games! That's what we are here for don't let the negatives take away from the fun. This is what the game was made for. Good luck and you can always add me if you need a lane partner.

Vieryn

01-13-2013

Fate- thank you so much for all of that! very helpful. and i will be sure to add you. I'm still trying to get the mechanics down...this is the first PC game i've played, otherwise i'm a 360 gamer. I was just shocked at the amount of detail that goes into this game. It's a lot to take in!! I really appreciate your advice on last hitting and ways to level. Thank you!!

Rooster- For some reason i'm like a gank magnet. Haha I'm glad there's a term for that. I never knew what gank meant. But it happens to me CONSTANTLY!! I know it's my fault for getting caught in these situations but the reason I usually die is because there's two (or more...) on my tail. I'm pretty good at avoiding death when it comes to just one bot. If i'm low on health I'll just attack every once and awhile during my retreat to get them to back off. I do use that technique a lot, running in attacking and running out. It works really well but now I just have to figure out how to last hit while using it