Champion Diversity

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Litercola

01-13-2013

I'm really new to this game, but am loving it. I'm wondering, however, once I get to the "real" game (just playing co-op vs ai), how diverse I need to be. I'd like to be well versed and competent in every role. I've listed below, in order of my percieved skill, the champions I currently play. I'd would grateful for any suggestions, feedback or commentary on the state of PVP and how best I can prepare myself. For what it's worth, I'm level 10. Buying lvl1 runes, skipping 2, and then 3. I generally roll top solo with Malphite, though he needs fed early from what I've seen. I've also been successful in the middle with the solo build. I like support classes, but generally, no one sticks by me long enough to benefit. I'm running to them to heal and whatnot. I'd love to play Talon or Yi regularly but I'm a glorified farmer from what I've seen so far. Not able to finish the kills.

Additionally, if you are one of those kind folks that likes to mentor do add me. I'd love to get some veteran advice or feedback on my playstyle.

EDIT: GRAMMAR

Malphite
Garen
Taric
Talon
Master Yi
Ashe
Mundo
Alistar

Thank you in advance,

Litercola

Crazyflames

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-13-2013

Malphite - top or jungle
garen - top
taric - support
talon - mid
Master Yi - jungle or mid (Master yi can be played as AP, or ability power which is what you want to build if you go mid)
Ashe - AD carry
mundo - top
Alistar -jungle or support

You have a pretty good variaty of champions.

I would start playing normal games as often as possible. It is hard at first but you really don't learn much from co-op vs AI. Remember if you don't know what to do in a game (for example, what to build next if you are losing fights) ask your team, hopefully they will help you so you can do better in the game.

Thundercleese

01-13-2013

Oh so much wisdom to impart... more to come later if this page stays bumped.

- Start playing PvP ASAP. It will be a nightmare, I'm sorry.. but best to jump in as soon as possible. There are going to be a lot of Smurf accounts of people serving out their Tribunal bans, so don't take nothing personally and just press Tab and then mute anyone who gives you grief.

- Until you get close to level 30, your games will be what I call the Wild West Meta. No one will jungle, and no one should jungle. Playing support for people who aren't good at last hitting or staying in lane is a waste of your time. Take advantage of this time when you can pretty much pick and choose whomever you like and try out all diff styles of champs.

- T1 Runes are fine and will help you win games which helps you buy more runes. This is a good thing! Don't buy more than one set though. Flat Attack Damage Quints and Marks, Flat Armor Seals, Flat Magic Resist Blues. This is the most universally useful setup... hell, the easier last hitting of the damage runes even helps your APs last hit, but of course its not ideal for them. Bruiser Tops, Ranged/Melee AD Carries, some Junglers... very useful set.

-T3 Runes you should get your flat attack damage page setup, then you have three choices. Your second page can be an AP page that will be useful for AP mids and some supports, or you can make a support page with Gold Per Quints, or you can buy a third page.

Litercola

01-13-2013

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Knowing which role each champion is best suited for, starting pvp and the rune commentary helped immensely.

+helpful
+friendly

Litercola

01-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo Sexy View Post
Oh so much wisdom to impart... more to come later if this page stays bumped.

- Start playing PvP ASAP. It will be a nightmare, I'm sorry.. but best to jump in as soon as possible. There are going to be a lot of Smurf accounts of people serving out their Tribunal bans, so don't take nothing personally and just press Tab and then mute anyone who gives you grief.

- Until you get close to level 30, your games will be what I call the Wild West Meta. No one will jungle, and no one should jungle. Playing support for people who aren't good at last hitting or staying in lane is a waste of your time. Take advantage of this time when you can pretty much pick and choose whomever you like and try out all diff styles of champs.

- T1 Runes are fine and will help you win games which helps you buy more runes. This is a good thing! Don't buy more than one set though. Flat Attack Damage Quints and Marks, Flat Armor Seals, Flat Magic Resist Blues. This is the most universally useful setup... hell, the easier last hitting of the damage runes even helps your APs last hit, but of course its not ideal for them. Bruiser Tops, Ranged/Melee AD Carries, some Junglers... very useful set.

-T3 Runes you should get your flat attack damage page setup, then you have three choices. Your second page can be an AP page that will be useful for AP mids and some supports, or you can make a support page with Gold Per Quints, or you can buy a third page.
Any recommendations on which Champ to start PVP with? I have fun with all of them.

Thundercleese

01-13-2013

I would recommend you pick up Kayle. She can built in a huge variety of ways and can play any role in the game. "Maining" her or another versatile champ like Gangplank or Nidalee could be a good way of being comfortable with a champ, which would allow you to concentrate more on overall strategy if that makes sense?

Out of the champs you listed that you enjoy, heres a brief description:

Malphite - Permabanned in draft games so don't get attached to him if you ever want to start playing ranked or normal draft. Ummm... can't even tell you much about him except he jungles and tops since I honestly don't remember the last time I played with or against one.

Garen - Simple champ to learn the solo top role. There are champs that are better and will always remain better, but honestly the power difference seems pretty minor.

Taric - Solid support. I feel he goes much better with a carry who has a good early game to take advantage of his nasty burst.

Talon - Assassin. Find squishy enemy, kill, try and get away. Very good against champs he counters. Enemy team filled with champs he doesn't counter? Gonna be a long long game

Master Yi - Known as a completely worthless champion who needs to get buffed. Oh wait, just used to kick ass in a recent pro tourney. OP! Seriously though, very good against the right enemies with the right team. Known as a pubstomper cause in low level games, people won't know how to handle him.

Ashe - Great late game ADC. Arrow ult is game changing and fun!

Mundo - Boring but good jungler. Never researched him much cause the idea of playing him makes me sleepy.

Alistar - Used to be a solid, fun support. Then he became a scary, permabanned jungler. Then S3 started and everything changed. If you have him on your team as a jungler, then you better pray that the other team hasn't heard about how you can buy wards with your starting items now.

But yeah, definitely try all the free week champs at least once to see if you click with them. The only champs I wouldn't put any efffort or interest in are Heimer and Karma since they're going to get reworks.

Litercola

01-14-2013

Quote:
I would recommend you pick up Kayle. She can built in a huge variety of ways and can play any role in the game. "Maining" her or another versatile champ like Gangplank or Nidalee could be a good way of being comfortable with a champ, which would allow you to concentrate more on overall strategy if that makes sense?
That is an awesome idea, I went ahead and picked up Kayle,not completely digging it but I'm doing fairly well. I think I may grab Gangplank as well as his stat stat distribution looks more like how I'd like to play.

Kinda sucks about Malphite as top solo was all I had been playing recently but better to learn now than later. I dig Taric but often find that I teammates don't take advantage of him if I roll full support.

Thanks again. You are an asset to League of Legends community. If you think of anything else, do post. : )

Mauru

01-14-2013

One more piece of advice: start practicing improving your creep score as soon as possible. Last-hitting minions will be an absolute necessity at level 30, and especially if you want to play ranked. Just make sure you're not taking unnecessary harassment from the enemy while doing so. It's a delicate balance.

If you want to improve your CS, I'd recommend playing some 1v0 custom games. There's no dodge penalty for leaving those types of games, so you can practice how long you like (I'd say 10-20 min) then quit. Write down your score, then next time you do it try to beat it.

Also as someone else said, supporting in low-level PvP is hit-&-miss. One major reason for 0cs supports is so the lane partner (usually an AD Carry like Ashe) gets all the farm. The problem is at low levels people will miss a lot of creeps, meaning they all go to waste.

Have fun!

Litercola

01-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauru View Post
One more piece of advice: start practicing improving your creep score as soon as possible. Last-hitting minions will be an absolute necessity at level 30, and especially if you want to play ranked. Just make sure you're not taking unnecessary harassment from the enemy while doing so. It's a delicate balance.

If you want to improve your CS, I'd recommend playing some 1v0 custom games. There's no dodge penalty for leaving those types of games, so you can practice how long you like (I'd say 10-20 min) then quit. Write down your score, then next time you do it try to beat it.

Have fun!
That is an awesome idea. Thank you for the help!