VPVD#1 - A new map

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ploki122

01-16-2013

For your first question, both... You give ideas, I give my opinion about them, and then compile them into a poll for you guys to vote, the poll will be created around Friday at noon

For the second, I plan on having 5-6 ideas in there, so I'll most probably already be short on words, and it'll already be a wall of text, making it bigger by adding a 1.5-2 inches picture through it that describes your idea instead of my impression of it doesn't add much content, while it adds noise.

Oh and to make it clearer, I plan on making 1 poll per 6-8 days, the next poll will decide on the number of teams/players per teams.

Shrouded Snake

01-16-2013

How about a Zaunite themed map. Like one area could have acidic rain that reduced armor by 1 or 2 every x seconds, toxic waste that deals damage every y seconds spent in it or a scrapyard that slows movement by say 5%.

The Low 0ne

01-16-2013

How about this: 2v2 map, one team at the top, one at bottom. In the space between the bases, a huge jungle lies. 6-8 neutral minion camps are on either half of the map, with an additional two epic monsters (i.e. Ebonmaw, Baron), one in the east, one in the west. Two of the camps on each half give buffs, and of course, epic monsters give buffs to entire team. No minions will spawn to push any area, because there are no lanes. This idea may be a bit flawed, resulting in unexpected battles in annoying circumstances (1v2 side battles) or if one player on a team dies, the other team will be able to crush the opponent's base area. Anyway, there would be only one entrance to either base, holding one initial turret, having the inhibitor behind it, which will enable the spawning of minions (not super, just regular) then 2 turrets guarding the nexus. This map will be based on tanky champs or champions that can farm really fast, but it will enforce teamwork into the game, because the two will have to work together to take down the first turret. Please tell me if I could improve this map and / or how, and thanks for reading!

ploki122

01-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrouded Snake View Post
How about a Zaunite themed map. Like one area could have acidic rain that reduced armor by 1 or 2 every x seconds, toxic waste that deals damage every y seconds spent in it or a scrapyard that slows movement by say 5%.
It all comes down to details, which will come much later, but yes that's what I think would be the more plausible for environmental hazards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Low 0ne View Post
How about this: 2v2 map, one team at the top, one at bottom. In the space between the bases, a huge jungle lies. 6-8 neutral minion camps are on either half of the map, with an additional two epic monsters (i.e. Ebonmaw, Baron), one in the east, one in the west. Two of the camps on each half give buffs, and of course, epic monsters give buffs to entire team. No minions will spawn to push any area, because there are no lanes. This idea may be a bit flawed, resulting in unexpected battles in annoying circumstances (1v2 side battles) or if one player on a team dies, the other team will be able to crush the opponent's base area. Anyway, there would be only one entrance to either base, holding one initial turret, having the inhibitor behind it, which will enable the spawning of minions (not super, just regular) then 2 turrets guarding the nexus. This map will be based on tanky champs or champions that can farm really fast, but it will enforce teamwork into the game, because the two will have to work together to take down the first turret. Please tell me if I could improve this map and / or how, and thanks for reading!
So basically, a laneless map? I must say, it's very close to novelty for the sake of novelty... the only place where you can really bring actual new content is the means to win... Sure you remove the minions, but it still ends up as farming... So right now,, you have to push a tower, without any means of tanking it, before being able to send minions through the jungle, to attack their nexus... It honestly isn't all that different from SR.

So basically, it would work, but since the balance is made on SR, this map would end up seeing little to no players and would only fragment the player base, you wouldn't be able to create a "this map only" community imo.

HOWEVER!, I still think that a laneless map or full-jungle map is possible to create, that concept is fully working on its own, and I will most probably add an entry to my OP about it.

ploki122

01-17-2013

Just realized I never re-wrote the hazards (since I deleted last time -.-'), finished that one, and adding the laneless. I might create the poll thread to know how many teams, and player per teams we include in the map.

The Low 0ne

01-17-2013

Yeah so with the hard first push thing, with the initial turret... I was actually thinking that people could be genius enough to realize that there was a neutral minion camp close enough, so that you could lure them over, and use those to take the turret attacks. Might've been expecting a little too much through the players, but for those smart enough to see it on the map, they would have a way in. Also, yeah the jungle will end up as farming, but I just wanted to remove the idea about minions pushing a lane so hard that they'll take some turrets down. That's why I put so many neutral minion camps around the map; so that its still possible to have a good farm, but without them interfering with the game, unless player invoked. Thanks for reading again, sometimes people just don't look at their posts once they're up...

The Low 0ne

01-17-2013

////////////O////////////
//m///m///m///m//
////m////m////m////
M//////CCC//////M
////m////m////m////
//m///m///m///m//
////////////O////////////

Layout of the map?... / = Trees, Pathways...O = Team Base... m = Neutral Minion Camp... M = Epic Monster... C = Clearing

I restate my last post, with the two close minion camps, they lie very close to the base, only a little out of the turrets' range. The Clearing in the center might also have some sort of buff (like Storm Shield from Dominion mode) and will be the main location of team fights. As for the minions after the inhibitor is down, they will head through small pathways towards the clearing, then go down a symmetrical path towards the enemies' base.

ploki122

01-18-2013

Like I said, the biggest cons I can see to this map is the lack of anything new... The big change from SR to this is the lack of lane... but once you think about it, laning actually means farming and trading, and both those 2 concepts would still exist even in the laneless map... The only "new" concept would be the concept of stealing/denying, and it's something shunned on by Riot because it favors mechanical skills over strategic ones.

Or, to be clearer, I don't feel that conceptually, no matter the details, this design really has a glaring flaw. No matter how you end up tanking the tower, as long as it's tankable, and obviously tankable... it's fine. And once inhib is down, it's just a normal SR for you.

ploki122

01-18-2013

The #1 poll about players (number of teams and players) is now up.

ploki122

01-20-2013

Bump, updating the OPs' info to reflect the next step : Features. So please share your ideas about how a map can be made more attractive or simply play differently than those out there. In relation to how I defined all maps as "Setup, Means, End", well we'll have most of the setup (# teams and # players) once the poll really defines itself, although it looks like we're aiming toward a 5-players per team, and potentially 3 teams.

No matter how ridiculously stupid it may seems, I think that designing the features before the map mode will actually yield a more cohesive and attractive map... First of all, all features have constraints, and I think that if you plug them in after you chose the goal, then a lot of those will be ignored, because they can't fit. It'll yield something like Dominion, where the setup is really awesome, the end is really awesome,, and there is simply something missing in the means... If we open with the gambit(s), it'll lead us toward a smaller choice for the end (which will make it simpler), and we'll end up restrained to choose how to end a game, rather than how to play it.

So basically, what I'm looking for are Features, here is a list of what I consider features in the other maps :
SR : Buffs, Dragon, Baron, Inhibitors.
TT : Buffs, Altars, Relic, Ebonmaw.
CS : Storm Shield, Shrines, Relics, Special minions.
PG : No recall, Relics, Inhibitors.

Things that are not included in features, but rather included in End : Dominion's style of winning AKA capturing towers to reduce the enemies' HP (It's probably the 3rd last step, AKA the End). The number of lanes (It'll come in the next step, AKA the map).

So post away while I edit!

EDIT: Already going back on my words, you can post anything you think about, we'll simply sort it through to see if it fits the end or the means... and ignore the ends (for now)