VPVD#1 - A new map

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ploki122

01-13-2013

honestly, you don't need a lot of creativity to participate in this thread, the goal isn't for you to create a map, what is needed from you (all) is to throw out ideas about what would be cool on a new map... Would you like zone controls? destroyable terrains? buildable/repairable constructs? Minion control? 3 teams? 7 players? a tower defense kind of map?

Otherwise, feedback is also nice, and I will most probably take a look at your champion sometimes. Currently watching LCS, so maybe between matches :P.

ploki122

01-13-2013

well, even though I've had quite a bit of feedback in the poll thread, this thread doesn't look like it's getting any traction... Maybe I'll poll for the initial idea too, and try again with step 2... I'm semi-running out of ideas here.

Nysta

01-14-2013

You aren't forced to attack. Attacking the minions will have an effect, too. Also, it is rather hard to attack the middle and there will also be events triggered directly at the middle; let's say instead of randomly after two minutes in which the same team holds the base. You will of course have to get that middle some time, or else you will lose, but same is with other kind of LoL games, normal mode: Nexus, dominion: 5 flags (pretty much king of the 5 hills). This seems to be rather boring to me, though.

Oh, btw, I love tower defense games, but I don't see how they fit into LoL.

-edit-

You take looks at champions?

Void22

01-14-2013

Minion control seems like a good idea. Another possibility is a neutral minion team that attacks both teams. The minions would have to buffed and perhaps you might add a few minions but...

ploki122

01-14-2013

added a more thorough review of the KotH map in my 3rd post, started on the minion control idea.

N.B. I do look at champions from time to time, but please don't advertise in here... If your champion is good and get either a lot or very few replies, there is a high chance I will drop in there eventually... If I don't answer, it's because I don't find the champion very appealing. If you really want me to look at your champ, just search for my "Ploki122's Bits and Pieces" and post in there, I usually look for update in there every weeks or so.

EDIT : can't finish minions right now, I'll finish it later today/tomorrow.

ploki122

01-15-2013

bump, working on minion now

Nysta

01-15-2013

About my map: There are minions on the hill. There will be minions on the hill in the beginning, giving you a grinding phase until the teams grow sufficiently strong to kill those. The small minions on the sides are the minions that will attack from time to time, triggered through killing the dragon on the other side. They will be empowered and walk towards the opposite side of where the dragon had been slain, towards the middle.
You can't just blindly attack the hills, you need to plan your attacks.
You can also chose to capture the hill and then drop it (leave it to itself) so you can farm more and by that become more powerful, so that you can take it back once an enemy captured it.
Killing the small minions will hinder the enemy from pushing those into your back by killing the dragon. This will enable you to put aggression on them or on the middle as well or even killing your dragon, making you the possible winner of that situation.
Furthermore monsters will spawn on the hill after two minutes have passed in which one team held the hill all of the time. One might want to introduce more seldom events for a team holding the hill for 6 minutes straight or so. Those monsters will be able to take the hill and can win the game, leaving the possibility to actually not only drop to a 4th place, but also not even have a winner.
You don't lose time doing anything. Even going back to base will help you by not feeding and healing yourself.
This would be an extremely action-heavy mode, with a lot of strategies in it, but I don't think the burden of knowledge is anyway near being high.
Events can just be called before they actually happen. This will significantly reduce the burden of knowledge. The rest could be shown in a tutorial. Average Joe (or let's say the dumbest player ever) would still understand that the goal of anything he does should be to hold the hill.

Whatever, I suggest you to update whatever you told about my map accordingly, also, it might not hurt to include the attachment.

Shrouded Snake

01-15-2013

I have a very basic idea. Environmental hazards.

Let's say for example lava that will travel some distance and damage champs and minions caught. Or maybe a way to electrocute rivers. Rivers do have salt water and is conductive.

On that note... Nami + electricity = bathtub + toaster effect.

ploki122

01-15-2013

Nysta: My opinion still stands, although II do think that the advertisement would reduce that burden of knowledge. Everything else, I don't think it would change much (it still is an opinion and not a fact, we'd need extensive playtesting for it to be a fact...). As for linking the attachment, it takes too much room, I can move the link to the title if your prefer however.

Shrouded: As much as I love the environmental hazards, I think it will be very restricted... if you make them actually dynamic, it will bear a big burden of knowledge or unreliability depending on numerous factors. If it's based on elements, then not all champs have access to all effects, and that makes balancing REALLY twisted... if it's random, then it's unreliable too, if it's scheduled, it makes 1 more micro management and add to the burden of knowledge... If they're stackable, it makes the entry barrier much higher (since now they have to understand what's happening, why, why it hurts so much, etc.). So basically, I think the safest best would be to have something like bogs, who add a stacking slow on you, lava who deals DoT, glittering sources that heals you if you idle by them, or basically, part of the lands with obvious visual effects that deals a concrete and straightforward effect while putting video/sound effects on you. So basically, the map casting a perma-channel.

Keep them ideas running.

Nysta

01-16-2013

Are you planning to put up ideas or to collect your opinion on someones map?

And how in the world is that attachment too big.. also, no it is of no sense to put the link to my post anywhere in there.