Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Supports and things

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sgtskull

01-12-2013

I have been focusing on support for the past 5 months, and I have notice that with a good support you could change the tides of the match. But with all the changes with the game, i.e. the item shop, there is more thought behind what you would to buy. My main question is, when playing a champ that usually not played as support, like fiddle, what items would be good to pick up during a match?

What is Studying

01-12-2013

For unusual supports like fiddlesticks, you generally want to run similar item builds as normal but add in some extra damage. For example, starting with early boots, a ward, and a health potion. Then transition into either philo stone and kage's lucky pick since they are both gp5's but kage's lucky pick gives more damage so it depends on how the game starts on which to pick first. Then grab sightstone as normal. From there, it really depends on what the team needs most. This is just a basic starter for the laning phase.

Sgtskull

01-12-2013

Yeah I usually go sightstone first for the wards, but I also noticed how squishy fiddle is up against other champs in bot lane. Getting ganked really sucks because of that. What are some other champs that are not usually support but can still be a good support?

SupportOrWillAFK

01-13-2013

Sightstone and a mix of gp5 items depending on how I feel its going. I get double (pick and stone) if we have the gold advantage. Then from there, you can either, depending on jungle/top (ie if the jungle plans to build a bulwark, then that's one less thing for you to do), go late AP and do respectable damage, or pick up whatever isn't covered and be slightly hybridish.

PrincePapa

01-13-2013

Well, the thing with Fiddle is, you pretty much need to snowball the bot lane and become a second ap carry, since you won't bring that much utility.

Basically, any champ that won't bring that much utility should not really focus on "supporty" items and should go for more damage to maximize his potential. Examples : Fiddle, Nidalee, Kayle.

But, other champs, usually more normal picks like Sona/Leona/Soraka can go for support items, or can still go for AP builds depending on team composition. I know I tend to build Soraka with ap, since it makes her heals ridiculously strong.

If you do build AP on chars, what I'd recommend is to chose only one gp10 and sightstone, then get on with your usual build. This allows to start dealing damage early while still giving you income.

Sgtskull

01-13-2013

I was playing traic the other day, alot of guides online I read say to go a 0/21/9 masteries but I feel it's better to go, 0/9/21, am I wrong?

PrincePapa

01-13-2013

Well, the main problem with the support masteries, imo, is that while they may seem interesting and good, they're actually not.

I play every single support char with tank masteries, so that tanks like Nunu, Leona and Taric are super tanky during Laning Phase, while squishy ones like Sona, Lux and Zyra can actually take a bit of damage before becoming useless. When I see a Sona that is so squishy that she gets 3 shotted at level 2, I just think "How are you supporting your adc if you can't even stand up to the enemy adc ?"

Gimpyloser

01-13-2013

Quote:
Sgtskull:
I have been focusing on support for the past 5 months, and I have notice that with a good support you could change the tides of the match. But with all the changes with the game, i.e. the item shop, there is more thought behind what you would to buy. My main question is, when playing a champ that usually not played as support, like fiddle, what items would be good to pick up during a match?

Early game you want to go with a typical support build no matter what. As the game progresses, you can transition into more dps. Personally, I'd stay way from dps type supports, currently Lulu, Nunu, Taric, and even Sona with many comps are just too strong to ignore.

Sgtskull

01-13-2013

Quote:
PrincePapa:
Well, the main problem with the support masteries, imo, is that while they may seem interesting and good, they're actually not.

I play every single support char with tank masteries, so that tanks like Nunu, Leona and Taric are super tanky during Laning Phase, while squishy ones like Sona, Lux and Zyra can actually take a bit of damage before becoming useless. When I see a Sona that is so squishy that she gets 3 shotted at level 2, I just think "How are you supporting your adc if you can't even stand up to the enemy adc ?"

Playing with less Tanky masteries open you up to more gold that will help you get more items that help you in the long run, if you play it smart, the enemy's adc won't even be able to get close to you

googlemuffin

01-13-2013

to the original purpose of the post, I enjoy playing unconventional supports along with the regulars; Leona, name, soraka, taric, janna. Fiddle, along with malphite, mao, and voli are very fun to play as a support because of the options you can take. The items you should buy truly depend on how the game is rolling and how well your lane and team are doing. If it calls for it, build to become a second ap carry as fiddle. He may not have a huge amount of utility but his silence along with fear have the ability to allow you to single out a target and not letting the enemy team react. Nothing feels better than crowstorming a team, silencing as they run and then grabbing the adc with a fear/drain.