The Universal FON Lovers Forum (also dedicated MR)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ROOOOOAST

01-14-2013

Ok, let me explain to you why having 300 armor is possible but not having 200 mr.

Ad exemple : graves in the enemy team is fed. U respons by getting 300 armor. In this case, graves wont 1 shot you with his q+r, but still be able to kill you with his dps.

Ap exemple : kennen in the enemy team is fed. You respond by getting 200 mr. In this case, kennen spells will bring u to half hp, to the maybe 7/8 in the grave exemple,but wont be able to kill you with his ap kennen dps.

We saw it, in the tank meta, adc shined a lot in pro games or in soloqueue game. Adc already have a better scaling then ap mage. How u want a mage to kill a 200 mr shen?? He cant. Fon was 76 of that 200 mr, with the base mr and merc, you dint needed to invest in some more magic resist most of the time. It was too much mr in a single item.

But i repeat myself but ya : THERE IS ALREADY 2 ITEM THAT GIVES MR AND HP.. (Not counting bulwark cause if u didnt understand that in the last posts) : banshee's veil, who give 50mr, 375hp and an anti burst/ rdm blitz hook shield. It also got the catalyst, so u could grab 1 on ur top lane malphite for some more sustain. If u r a shen or a mundo, a tank without mana, and ur not sure.. GRAB A SPIRIT VISAGE.... All tank scale with hp, mr and some cdr ik that u cant always use the passive to its best effect, but.... If both of them ur not sure, ur a tank who wanna help ur team, not free farm top with ur catalyst sustain, GRAB A BULWARK. If u grab a bulwark, u got 65% to win the game, look on lolking.net

So please stop complaing about an item so mages cant kill you, with a lot of hp, a lot of mr, it would all ad team comp just be stronger

67chrome

01-14-2013

AP damage is either problematic for being AoE or a substantial burst.

Runic Bulwark gives MR in an AoE, offering a rather effective counter-measure to AoE damage. Most AP Carries tend to be extremely useful in team fights largely due to an AoE ultimate that almost exclusively has the purpose of winning team fights. Look at Annie, Anivia, Zyra, Gragas, Brand, Evelynn, Katarina, Karthus, Lux, Morgana, Orianna, Cassiopia, and Vladimir and even Ryze. There strength is largely in striking an entire team, with an ultimate nearly exclusively designed for winning team fights.

The other type of magic damage is generally really high single-target burst, of which the likes of Akali, Veigar, and LeBlanc are more notorious for. Banshee's Veil is substantially better than MR against such champions in most cases, as you're pretty much guaranteed to survive a burst rotation by merits of taking out 33% of it.

Beyond that anyone who isn't building items exclusively to mitigate magic damage has more options in season 3 than in season 2 or 1 by a rather sizable margin. AD can pick up Mercurial Scimitar in addition to Maw of Malmortis and Wit's End, AP champions can pick up Mikael's Crucible and Twin Shadows in addition to Athene's Unholy Grail and Abyssal Scepter, and supports can pick up Mikael's Crucible, Twin Shadows, and Runic Bulwark for more magic resistance. Throw in Mercury Treads and Guardian Angel into a build and you can easily gain 6 items with MR in a final build. Which makes sense for countering magic damage - because in almost every case it's DPS hardly scales better than MR and HP can scale in the game.

Magic damage in bolstered primarily by Ability Power, though Cooldown Reduction and Magic Penetration can certainly help. The problem there is that you can't get enough Magic Penetration or CDR to deal double damage, and you need anyware from 150-400 AP to scale most rank 1-5 abilities, and closer to 700 AP to scale ultimates to deal double damage. That scaling isn't great by any stretch, and even with pairing CDR and penetrations with AP you're likely only going to see a linear increase in DPS as the game progresses on magic damag. Compare that to most physical damage - which scales with attack damage, attack speed, critical strikes (both chance and damage), armor penetration, and cooldown reduction. In the case of physical damage it's actually not inconveavable to double DPS with armor penetration, attack damage, attack speed, and critical strikes all in the same build - so you're looking at a x4 capacity for damage scaling compared to a x2 with physical to magical. Attack damage also goes from around 50-110 with levels, which can be aquired with 1 item for double damage - were the 400 AP for a rank 5 ability is clearly out of reach - even with each point of AP being roughly half the price as each point of AD. Not to mention auto-attacks modifyed by 4 AD scalers require no resources to use and come with no cooldowns, were almost all magic damage has resource costs and cooldowns.

Basically, 50 MR is equivalent to 100 armor - which is were most MR and Armor items currently sit when compared to one another. In this sense Force of Nature had the equivalent of 150+ armor, which is fairly overkill for a single item - and relying on it to do well is sort of like admitting to being bad and cheating to win. Even then, Runic Bulwark offers the equivalent of 60 armor to your allies and 120 to yourself in terms of stopping magic damage, so it's not like there aren't options available to shut down magic damage, and shut it down hard. Force of Nature just allowed you to shut down a mage for nearly an entire game before they can build enough offense to counter it on a typical bruiser, while the bruiser could pick up pure offense themselves and dish out a considerable amount of DPS themselves. The only champion I feel has much of a legitimate reason to complain about FoN's removal was Leona, as playing her as a support early on means she needs all the bargain shopping super-cost effective tanking items she can get.

Autocthon

01-14-2013

Bulwark is super cost efficient.

In fact Leona can tank with two items: Locket and Bulwark, get some sources of CDR and she has massive base defenses.

RockJockey

01-14-2013

I like Force of Nature. But I also understand why it was removed. It made Singed a God.

ROOOOOAST

01-14-2013

Not only singed, but ya, mage werent able to kill him

Loligrabber

01-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocthon View Post
The aura is two separate buffs.

The first buff is the "anchor" this is applied to the holder of the item. It applies the statistical effects of the aura and activates the aura field.

The second is a "flag" applied to any champion standing in the aura field, which applied the statistical effects of the aura to the flagged unit.

A champion can have both the "anchor" and the "flag", effectively receiving twice the benefit from the aura. Easily shown in game just by standing two aura holders next to each other.
I get that, but what i was referring to is two items of the same kind (forgot to specify that in my first post). If you and your ally have RB, does that mean you're getting the flag effect from them also?
so in other words: receiving the base stats, receiving the aura stats, and receiving the same aura stats from another ally with the same item.

Autocthon

01-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loligrabber View Post
I get that, but what i was referring to is two items of the same kind (forgot to specify that in my first post). If you and your ally have RB, does that mean you're getting the flag effect from them also?
so in other words: receiving the base stats, receiving the aura stats, and receiving the same aura stats from another ally with the same item.
That is exactly what I described.