I started out PvP way too late. Help!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

W‚fflez

01-12-2013

I've kind of screwed myself in the way that I didn't start PvP until about level 26 or so summoner level, and not too many games even then and now I'm 30 with about 40 something wins.
I am so far behind in practice and skill when it comes to PvP it's depressing.

I want to practice PvP but every time I do I let down my team because everyone else has played so many games and know what to do and I'm running around getting just outplayed every single game. I want to be good and I'm trying very hard but it feels like I'm messing up my teammates games and half of them are spent getting cussed at for my mistakes.

So, I wanted to ask; what do you guys think I should do?

If I continue playing like this I'm going to get discouraged and probably rage quit for awhile, I'm not a bad gamer but I have practically no experience with League PvP and the nonstop getting cussed out or blamed gets to you when you know it's true.

On the other hand I've spent a couple hundred dollars on RP for champions and I've got I think half of them at least, so going fresh would really set me back, but maybe it's worth it for the practice?

Any ideas are welcome, I just don't want this game to be ruined for me and I want to enjoy it, I don't care about being a god at it so much but I don't want to be terrible either.

YungBoombox

Recruiter

01-12-2013

Hi there. My advice would be to find nice people and add them to your buddy list so you can play with them in the future. Most of the time, nice people won't rage at you. Or you could create a "smurf" account. On your smurf account, you could practice pvp matches against the lower leveled players that you get matched against. As you level up on that smurf account, you will get matched against better and better players, and it will be great practice, and then you could return to your main account that you bought a lot of rp with once you feel you're ready. It would be a shame to see all that money go to waste.

Tsukuyòmi

01-12-2013

You don't have to re roll, but pay attention to the core mechanics of the game.

Movement, map awareness, learn the items, learn what champions do, skills, research and fix a rune page or two.

When you have the basics, learn a few champions. Pick up a champion that you like for example, play a game or two with bots to read the skills and last hit practice and such, and after that go for a few dominion games. Dominion is good to the feel o the champion in pvp. After that, just play some normal games.

Honestly, it's all about learning the basics and the mechanics of the game. After that you learn a few champions and you are set.

etharian

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-12-2013

Like someone else already mentioned. U can make a new account to practice on till you feel you have improved enough.

Another option of course is to power through it. Blind picks especially are designed for casual play. Sure people will rage sometimes but thats just part of the game.

If u share your runes and masteries with us we may be able to help out a bit in that department, and at least make sure u have an optimal setup for the role you enjoy.

Also if u enjoy playing a specific role we could offer some general tips that may help improve your play-same goes with letting us know what champs r ur favorite. Could offer some insight on what builds work best and why, what skill rotation to use. And who they do well against

There is an upside though, playing against good players will help teach u how to play better. And u will learn faster than u would have at lower levels due to the understanding u already have.

Mainly just try and learn from your mistakes. Unfortunately only way to get better is to play against better people. Just like playing bots doesn't help much neither will playing against noobs who practically play like bots.

Just my thoughts!

iDpark

01-12-2013

I'd say, pick a role that interests you, or 3-5 champions in various roles that interest you.
the less time you spend trying to adjust to a new champion, the more time goes to focusing on last hitting, map awareness, and positioning.

Lasthitting is important. especially when you can't outplay your opponent.
80 at ten minutes is awesome. 100 is max.

Make sure you understand what you have to do for the team, roles.

Play everyone to understand their skills, I'd even reccomend you buy everyone you can.
Master a few, play everyone.

Play ranked around 200-300 wins, but again, you have to do it, and I found it comforting my elo when I started. (850)

I'm 1200 now, don't worry, and just play to have fun.
It's a game.

Kensai07

01-12-2013

I suggest investing in the following runes::

Armor pen/magic pen reds
Armor yellows
MR/level blues
Movespeed + Gold/10 quints

Although this will not be 100% optimal for every single character... it's about the "cheapest" way to play all 5 roles with at least a decent rune setup.

As you continue on you can expand from there.

Also no worries on losses... Just learn something. Repeating the same mistakes doesn't really help anyone

Shallow Cubes

01-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by W‚fflez View Post
I've kind of screwed myself in the way that I didn't start PvP until about level 26 or so summoner level, and not too many games even then and now I'm 30 with about 40 something wins.
I am so far behind in practice and skill when it comes to PvP it's depressing.

I want to practice PvP but every time I do I let down my team because everyone else has played so many games and know what to do and I'm running around getting just outplayed every single game. I want to be good and I'm trying very hard but it feels like I'm messing up my teammates games and half of them are spent getting cussed at for my mistakes.

So, I wanted to ask; what do you guys think I should do?

If I continue playing like this I'm going to get discouraged and probably rage quit for awhile, I'm not a bad gamer but I have practically no experience with League PvP and the nonstop getting cussed out or blamed gets to you when you know it's true.

On the other hand I've spent a couple hundred dollars on RP for champions and I've got I think half of them at least, so going fresh would really set me back, but maybe it's worth it for the practice?

Any ideas are welcome, I just don't want this game to be ruined for me and I want to enjoy it, I don't care about being a god at it so much but I don't want to be terrible either.
Feel free to add me in game (same user name as this). I know a good group of people to play with who can teach you a lot about the game without ever raging at you.

Aside from that, look for other people who are nice and willing to work with you to help you improve, and don't give up. Add them as friends, and ask them if they wouldn't mind playing some normal games with you from time to time since you sincerely want to improve.

Myrthrei

01-12-2013

The posts above explained everything pretty well,but if you wanna add me in game we could practice basic things or even complicated things if u want,i used to be in your position and it took 3 months with a level 30 tutoring me for me to be where i am.

So True II

01-12-2013

Start a smurf account and play on that, once you hit ~level 10 and you think you got the basics, just apply them in your normal games.

Also, last hit minions. Don't keep AA'ing.

P.S. Watch streams at some site (I prefer twitch.tv), go to the "league of legends" category, and watching some of the higher ups (most TSM members are there, Dan Dinh etc., Wickd is good, etc.) and try to learn from them. Look at what they're doing. Also, some times "lower" down streamers have more time to connect with there fanbase, so you can ask questions there.

Mephistofeles666

01-12-2013

I just want to ask:
Given that xp gain is reduced in bot games, how the hell did you level up to 26 by just playing bot matches? o.O I mean, thats a LOT of grinding.