The Cardinal Offense

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

dignitas Rampant

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-12-2013

So, the more I do the Tribunal, the more I have become steadfast in what I think the cardinal offense in the Tribunal is, or the most vile thing you can do to your teammates. What to me instigates an immediate punish from me. I at first said it was the use of slurs, whether they be racist, jingoist, or homophobic, but despite every bone in my body want to call offensive language out, I can see a few very, very specific times when I haven't punished for such actions. I thought about intentional feeding as well, as it is betrayal at its highest form, however in the end such people are obviously engaging in such self-defeating behavior because it excites them sexually. I honestly cannot think of another reason for such actions, as they pretty much undermine the whole point of playing the game. They aren't playing the game in any way that can be considered competitive, so they must be getting off on it in some way.

However, despite the ragers and feeders, I think there is one offense that tops it all, but I would like to invoke some communal discussion in it. I posit that the cardinal sin, the most vile action you can do, is to threaten to afk or intentionally feed. While the action itself might seem the most damaging, I would argue that it has a relatively short-term damage. Whereas to threaten to afk or feed destroys not only your team's morale, but serves as no better than emotional blackmail. You are blackmailing your team to act on your whims, and respond to your emotions. I bring this up because I judged twelve separate cases of it today in my daily yield, and I was wondering whether others saw it in the same light, and if they didn't, why not.

Crittermorph

01-12-2013

I agree.
Cursing with filtered astrics is less harmful than this ^

NinetyNineTails

01-13-2013

I agree whole-heartedly. I have zero tolerance for offensive slurs, but my tolerance for people threatening AFK or feed or what have you is somewhere below zero. Complete insta-punish.

LittleDi

01-13-2013

High, not the highest for me though. There are 3 words which I will not tolerate above that action.

I was called one of these words irl once. For me, the one word which does not deserve to exist begins with a C. This is not the worst word I have seen people use.

The second word is related to a mental handicap in the way it is used. They do not know it as I do and almost always use the term wrong. It is a word that deserves to exist, but not in the context that people use it. This word begins with the letter R.

And the #1 thing of which breaks all of the rest in punish for me? Death threats.

Xianio

01-13-2013

I still think slurs are the worst. I won't even bother reading the rest of the cases and will always report anyone who uses those words. I see no excuse for it.

That said I've done quite a bit of international traveling and the word c*nt is seen as very similarly as f*ck outside of NA. Because of that I don't put much weight in the word unless it's used excessively/someone asks you not to use it.