Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Preseason Three Digi-Art Throwdown Contest

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lucidia

02-28-2013

Quote:
Zhii:
I also didn't make it, but a big congrats to those that did!! ^.^

Here was my entry

O____O I am in love with this. The training dummies are great ♥

Kabiki

02-28-2013

WELL. I didn't really think I was going to win, but I hoped I'd get lucky. Here's my entry if anyone was interested, and congrats to the winners!

http://skullfuct.deviantart.com/art/It-would-help-if-I-named-it-354288495

Deadlyhazard

02-28-2013

Awwww, GL to the winners that have been chosen. Guess that means 0 chance for me, haha since I'm English and no message. Didn't think I'd get anywhere near top 15 anyway, BEST OF LUCK to the people that won! Probably professional artists! ;_:.

eNack

02-28-2013

Wonder if NA even got placed at all. She only said "english speakers".

kUkara4

02-28-2013

So, I've seen this work
http://anarki3000.deviantart.com/art/League-Of-Legends-Wuju-Style-353846485,
it didn't make it top 17, but it is drawn by a professional concept artist :/ So how exectly are common players supposed to compete with professionals?
It also feels a bit sad that the winners are those who already have the tablets, so they are just gonna get another one, which might be even worse than what they already have (like Intuous5 small given that any self-respected artist would at least buy Intuous5 medium). So what's the point of competing? except for the swag......
I think a good addition to the rules would be to write a short cover letter and describe why you need to win and how you ould benefit from winning. I am pretty sure that many new talented but inexperienced artist (that don't have a good tablet yet and can't afford to buy a good one and have to scrap their work on Genius) would benefit much more than the professionals. Just a thought.

copperpoint

02-28-2013

Quote:
kUkara4:
So, I've seen this work
it didn't make it top 17, but it is drawn by a professional concept artist :/ So how exectly are common players supposed to compete with professionals?
It also feels a bit sad that the winners are those who already have the tablets, so they are just gonna get another one, which might be even worse than what they already have (like Intuous5 small given that any self-respected artist would at least buy Intuous5 medium). So what's the point of competing? except for the swag......
I think a good addition to the rules would be to write a short cover letter and describe why you need to win and how you ould benefit from winning. I am pretty sure that many new talented but inexperienced artist (that don't have a good tablet yet and can't afford to buy a good one and have to scrap their work on Genius) would benefit much more than the professionals. Just a thought.

There are lots of cheap but good tablets out there. That's no hurdle at all.
And I dont care about pros entering. It's a contest and the best piece should win. End of discussion.
To say that somebody is too good and therefore should not be allowed to enter a contest is ridiculous.

xSteff

02-28-2013

Quote:
kUkara4:
So, I've seen this work

You are wrong. Simply because they are professionals doesn't give you the right to put them in a different category. Do you think they were born professionals? No. They sacrificed time and dedicated themselves to limits you can not imagine. I think the artists who have won deserve every single prize they are getting because they have worked so hard for so many hours on their piece and if they took less, it's because they have the knowledge of years practicing.

I started with a very cheap tablet that anyone can afford by saving up. No, I'm not an art god but I strive to be someday. I now have a more advanced tablet thanks to my job and even if I did have the most expensive tablet in the world, I wouldn't be able to create master pieces like those who have years of experience. A tool does not make the artist, nor a godlike tablet. Skill doesn't come from a software, it comes from the persons dedication. This contest was for DIGITAL artists and I truly believe the whole "scan your paper" thing was a form of consultation for those who have no experience and could not participate in the contest because lack of experience in digital art.

To your bold comment:
I've lost this contest but that doesn't mean I won't continue to further myself as an artist. No, I believe many of us DID NOT submit our entries except for "swag", may them be "bad" or not quiet "impressive", we've submitted them in hopes we would win but if not, this gave us a project with a time-frame which to me was(and I hope I speak for many) intense, fun learning experience.

TLDR: My friend, prizes aren't everything in life. Learn from your past losses and better yourself for the future.

TO RIOT AND THE WINNERS: Thank you for the amazing contest, it made me better as an artist even if I didn't win. Just shows how much I've been slacking. ^^' Congratulations to the winners and I hope you have the right gear to match your skill now!!

Zhii

02-28-2013

Quote:
Lucidia:
O____O I am in love with this. The training dummies are great ♥

Oh thank you!! <3 This made my day

kUkara4

02-28-2013

Quote:
xSteff:
You are wrong. Simply because they are professionals doesn't give you the right to put them in a different category. Do you think they were born professionals? No. They sacrificed time and dedicated themselves to limits you can not imagine. I think the artists who have won deserve every single prize they are getting because they have worked so hard for so many hours on their piece and if they took less, it's because they have the knowledge of years practicing.

I started with a very cheap tablet that anyone can afford by saving up. No, I'm not an art god but I strive to be someday. I now have a more advanced tablet thanks to my job and even if I did have the most expensive tablet in the world, I wouldn't be able to create master pieces like those who have years of experience. A tool does not make the artist, nor a godlike tablet. Skill doesn't come from a software, it comes from the persons dedication. This contest was for DIGITAL artists and I truly believe the whole "scan your paper" thing was a form of consultation for those who have no experience and could not participate in the contest because lack of experience in digital art.

To your bold comment:
I've lost this contest but that doesn't mean I won't continue to further myself as an artist. No, I believe many of us DID NOT submit our entries except for "swag", may them be "bad" or not quiet "impressive", we've submitted them in hopes we would win but if not, this gave us a project with a time-frame which to me was(and I hope I speak for many) intense, fun learning experience.

TLDR: My friend, prizes aren't everything in life. Learn from your past losses and better yourself for the future.

TO RIOT AND THE WINNERS: Thank you for the amazing contest, it made me better as an artist even if I didn't win. Just shows how much I've been slacking. ^^' Congratulations to the winners and I hope you have the right gear to match your skill now!!

No need to be overly offensive, I agree with you and I don't want to question if the winenrs deserved the prizes or not, they definitely did, and the rules are the rules, they followed them and they won, my best congratulations!!!

I knew I wouldn't win but I am very glad about the experience. I finally got the chance to finish my work to the end, I only did sketches before, so the experience was extremely useful and I will definitely not stop, I will keep drawing and participating.

What I stated was just an idea which I've seen done in other contests, this idea promotes support of the new talents, it helps the inexperienced but potentially very good artists to overcome certain burdains (financial, skill, etc.) and boost their development as artists. Well, I guess LoL fan-art contest didn't have that as a goal (actually most fan-art contests don't). Some people can't afford a $60 tablet even if they save up.

"My friend, prizes aren't everything in life. Learn from your past losses and better yourself for the future." Also, I don't like the "mentor" tone, I agree with you, and what you said is what I do (I am not gonna tell you my life story), so no need to play a "teacher", let's stay on the same level.

So yeah, again, my best congratulations to the winners, you most definitely deserved it (although I haven't seen anything yet).

Edit: the idea came to me because I felt that giving Intuous5 small in a digital art contest that requires a tablet to participate is sort of funny :/

Deadlyhazard

02-28-2013

Quote:
kUkara4:
So, I've seen this work

The thing is, how the heck would you judge something like that if they don't allow professional artists? Obviously they're going to win because they've dedicated more time on their craft than an amateur. The line is too blurred. There are amateur professionals, long time professionals, art student amateurs, and everything in between. The best of the best is going to win, that's just how contests work. That or the most popular.....