Preseason Three Digi-Art Throwdown Contest

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HaloFall

01-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IThe0neAnd0nlyI View Post
I know there is going to be a artist going to win this but i got bored while waiting for the patch last night
only took me roughly 30 mins, then i went to bed

Well hope you like my Fail attempt on paint
This is really cute. ^^ Great job.

SNSDaraLee

01-17-2013

Im from New Zealand... Am I still be able to participate???

Mugifi

01-17-2013

I do have a question. I live in Quebec and usually, we can't participate in online contest. Is it still the case? I keep looking to see if they're is any rules about it but it doesn't seems like it..

KentaurusS

01-17-2013

i think that prizes are wrong, why would you give a wacom to a digital artist wich have a drawing table is mandatory?, i wanted to participate but im a good traditional paper drawer this is unfair.

AsDark

01-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsPudding View Post
[aws3]news/January_2013/DigiArt_Throwdown_Announcement/COMM_ART_CONTEST_0111_ARTICLE_v3.jpg[/aws3]

The preseason is underway, and with everything that’s on the line in Season Three, the champions of the League are stepping up their training regimens. With all the new items in the shop, they’ve got a whole new arsenal to try out.

Of course, an epic battle on the Field of Justice isn’t the only showdown going on this preseason. In the spirit of competition, we’re also challenging you awesome fan artists to create a picture of your favorite champion preparing for Season Three and enter it in the Preseason Three Digi-Art Throwdown. And to give you the proper incentive to start furiously scribbling with your stylus, we’ve picked up some pretty epic prizes from our friends over at Wacom.

Contest Rules
  • You must include at least one champion and one new Season Three item: we’re looking for the latest trends in champion conditioning, so you need to showcase the new stuff
  • Your masterpiece must be appropriate for summoners of all ages: we’re teen rated, so nothing too risqué; if you think Draven practices through mass-execution, go ahead and keep that to yourself
  • Your entry can’t include any logos or product names or placements: these are what we like to call a “legal hassle,” and we don’t keep enough lawyers on retainer to obtain permission to plug your favorite soda on our website
  • Your entry must be made by you, submitted by you, and made for this contest: we don’t care if your friend Leo Da Vinci painted you the Sona Lisa, this contest is about YOU showing of YOUR artistic potential within the stipulated timeframe
  • You need to submit your entry on time: sorry if you have a tendency to oversleep, but this contest is for LoL players with accurate watches

Technical Requirements
  • Your submission needs to be 300 dpi (one dimensional), at least 3000 pixels in either height or width, and exported at a quality setting of 8 or higher: if we want to hang these on the wall, they should still be beautiful when we blow them up
  • You need to submit in .jpg format: you’re not going to win any prizes if we can’t open your entry, so for the sake of simplicity just stick to submitting .jpgs
  • Hang onto your full-size, highest-res, highest-detail picture: we may contact you to get ahold of your most epic rendering so that it can be properly preserved and displayed.

As always, these rules are in addition to all the contest commandments set down by Legal in our [URL2="http://na.leagueoflegends.com/preseason-three-digi-art-throwdown-contest-rules"]Official Rules[/URL2] and [URL2="http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2992680"]Contest FAQ[/URL2], so be sure to review those before you submit. We mentioned awesome Wacom tablets, so here are the full details on the prizes you can win this contest:

Two grand prize winners will receive:
  • A Wacom Cintiq 22HD pen display
  • 15,000 RP

Five runner-up winners will receive:
  • A Wacom Cintiq 12WX pen display
  • 10,000 RP

Ten honorable mention winners will receive:
  • A Wacom Intuos 5 Small
  • 8,000 RP

Every winner will also receive a League of Legends drawstring bag containing:
  • A Riot Games artist smudge guard glove
  • A Teemo hat
  • A Baron Nashor t-shirt
  • A Quintessence lapel pin
  • A Rammus “OK” League of Legends wristband
  • A League of Legends Lanyard
  • A “Bananas OP” foam banana

That’s right! If a small fortune in RP and a badass tablet aren’t enough to convince you to get your art on, we’re even throwing in a Teemo hat. The contest starts now, and runs through 11:59 PM on February 8, so be sure to get have your submissions ready by then.

When your masterpiece is complete, head on over and [URL2="http://woobox.com/nbomtt"]fill out the submission form[/URL2]. We can’t wait to see how your champion’s training this preseason!
So the art can only be posted as digital art in order to be entered in the contest? Or paper hand drawn arts are acceptable too? and thank you riot for this opportunity.

Omni

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-17-2013

I'd say some of the YouTube videos you posted can be a bit misleading in terms of the contest requirements. It seems like you want the champions training/preparing for season 3 and not just standing there modeling new items for the viewer. My initial idea was 2 champions in heroic poses facing the audience while wielding 4 new items each. I spent most of last Saturday getting the drawing portion done and I blocked in some of my colors. Today I read this, noticed how important that "training" requirement of the contest is and I've decided to scrap what I've done in order to start again with something more fitting to the rules.

But I'd say only about half the YouTube videos you posted are more along the lines of training. Rocky montage, Neo vs Morpheos dojo fight and Conan swinging his sword dramatically in the wind exemplify training in some way...Watching Neo and Trinity picking out weapons out of racks or stationary Iron Man getting his suit put on him and the rest of The Avengers dressing up isn't necessarily training. It falls more along the lines of my initial idea of heroic modeling poses showcasing their gear...So which is it? Active training shots with the items or dress-up/modeling of the items? You seem to be gearing more towards the active training from what you've been posting but half of your examples indicate otherwise...

Sorry if I cause any confusion, I just want to make sure I don't start something again that I will have to scrap. Also how much will you guys value process work after the contest is done? For example once you choose the winners will you ask them for process work of how they got to their final design/drawing/painting? Maybe to show it to the community? That kind of content is usually pretty good to show aspiring artists how certain people arrive to their final work, just like you guys show the art spotlights. It also acts as evidence that they didn't steal the work or ask someone else to do it... Anyway hope to hear from you soon, in the meantime it's back to sketching and brainstorming ideas for me.

XeroSun

01-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandarus View Post
Unfortunately, based on MsPudding's seventh comment it looks like it has to be digital art, i.e. the type of art you create on your PC using a program, and not more traditional art scanned in for submission.

I've copy/pasted the relevant post below including the question that MsPudding was replying to in her post.

For people who are in the same boat as me and have never done any digital artwork or own any digital artwork software (beyond super duper awesome MS Paint...), if you're feeling brave you can download a one month free trial version of Photoshop or similar digital art creation software from cnet that you can use to create your digital artwork with. I'm seriously thinking of doing this myself, though having to use a mouse versus a stylus would seem like a serious setback. And yet... the banana calls to me....

What to do... what to do.... O.O"

Thank you very much for your time to answer my question. Thumbs up for you. I wish u all the best to win any lol-art contest.

ChlorrOfTheMask

01-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IThe0neAnd0nlyI View Post
I know there is going to be a artist going to win this but i got bored while waiting for the patch last night
only took me roughly 30 mins, then i went to bed

Well hope you like my Fail attempt on paint

Well, I can tell that most artists, me especially, are going to put many hours into their artwork for this contest. Based on my idea, it will be probably 10+ hours. @.@

Ark de Triomf

01-17-2013

I think i'd have a better shot at winning this if you'd send me that grand prize wacom to make my piece ^^

anyway GL to everyone and may the best artworks win!

MsPudding

Sentient Pudding

Follow MsPudding on Twitter

01-17-2013
17 of 24 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omen View Post
I'd say some of the YouTube videos you posted can be a bit misleading in terms of the contest requirements. It seems like you want the champions training/preparing for season 3 and not just standing there modeling new items for the viewer. My initial idea was 2 champions in heroic poses facing the audience while wielding 4 new items each. I spent most of last Saturday getting the drawing portion done and I blocked in some of my colors. Today I read this, noticed how important that "training" requirement of the contest is and I've decided to scrap what I've done in order to start again with something more fitting to the rules.

But I'd say only about half the YouTube videos you posted are more along the lines of training. Rocky montage, Neo vs Morpheos dojo fight and Conan swinging his sword dramatically in the wind exemplify training in some way...Watching Neo and Trinity picking out weapons out of racks or stationary Iron Man getting his suit put on him and the rest of The Avengers dressing up isn't necessarily training. It falls more along the lines of my initial idea of heroic modeling poses showcasing their gear...So which is it? Active training shots with the items or dress-up/modeling of the items? You seem to be gearing more towards the active training from what you've been posting but half of your examples indicate otherwise...

Sorry if I cause any confusion, I just want to make sure I don't start something again that I will have to scrap. Also how much will you guys value process work after the contest is done? For example once you choose the winners will you ask them for process work of how they got to their final design/drawing/painting? Maybe to show it to the community? That kind of content is usually pretty good to show aspiring artists how certain people arrive to their final work, just like you guys show the art spotlights. It also acts as evidence that they didn't steal the work or ask someone else to do it... Anyway hope to hear from you soon, in the meantime it's back to sketching and brainstorming ideas for me.
The theme for the contest includes most of the things you mentioned. You may choose to show your champion preparing for season 3 in a vast number of ways. They don't have to be doing traditional "training" per se, but they need to be clearly preparing for competition. Whether that's Teemo stocking up on his mushroom farm, or Viktor upgrading his mechanical arm to something else, that's up to you. The videos are there to give you a few examples of things that would indeed count as fitting the requirement.

Nowhere did we say we want you to draw champions "modeling" a new item. Your art should be completely built around the theme, and executed well visually in order to earn a top place in the contest

Process work is amazing, and we love to see & share it. It's not a requirement this time around, but thanks for bringing it up!
Here's the process work we received from the grand prize winner of the Art of Lunar Revelry contest. I hope you enjoy seeing the step-by-step as much as we do
http://i.imgur.com/pWfK8.jpg