Preseason Three Digi-Art Throwdown Contest FAQ

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

artzombi3

Junior Member

01-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonsama View Post
Is there a maximum size limit to the piece? I've been working on my piece and have been constantly expanding it. I'm past 3000 px on both height and width and found myself around 7000 px on height and 3000 px on width, but that should still be within ratio. I saw that it said "atleast 3000 on either height or width" on the first post of the digi contest throw down, so I just assumed. Thank you.
you could always scale it down from having 7000px height to 3000 px, using photoshop, not necessarily 7k but if it gets too massive the file would be too big I would assume, and would be hard to upload/download.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JKGN

Senior Member

01-28-2013

I'm working at 3600 x 5600 although part of me wishes I worked at a larger resolution

For sake of SUBMISSION purposes, they don't need the super high res quality version of your file. It's be a huge burden on their submission servers if everyone was sending in 20-100 meg files
However, as stated in the contest, they WILL request a higher res version if you're selected(Assuming you are a selected winner or they just really like your stuff)


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Scodo

Senior Member

01-28-2013

Is there a way to view my entries? I submitted 2 versions of a piece with different version names, but it said I only had 1 entry, but doesn't tell you what the entry is. When I tried submitting it again it still said I only had one entry.

I'm worried that my finished piece is not being submitted correctly.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dragonsama

Junior Member

01-29-2013

I see, I am still concerned as to whether there is a maximum size limit to our pieces though. If anyone knows for sure or Ms Pudding


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JKGN

Senior Member

01-29-2013

6000 px x 4000 px (or any ratio around that) at 300 DPI is more than enough for standard posters. Don't fret over minor details, you don't need riot's official word on that.

Don't send in a freakin 20 meg file during submission. save the big file when they ask for it. When it's time to submit, remember to resize it to around 3000 px


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MsPudding

Sentient Pudding

Follow MsPudding on Twitter

01-29-2013
12 of 15 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delkin525 View Post
Ms. Pudding,

I'm honestly shocked that this competition also includes 3D modeled art work. It sounded from the OP that beyond the shadow-of-a-doubt this was a digital painting competition. I was excited about this because it was finally a "clean" competition where the entries were clear. Most art competitions that I've come by don't separate digital from other mediums, and many people around my artist community (where I live) don't even understand what digital paintings are. I entered my digital paintings in a competition and they categorized my work as "mixed media."

When I attended the art show where my digital paintings were on display, I had to continually explain to the older artists, and various guests, that I actually digitally painted my work. I had to explain what a tablet is, and that I use a stylus. It's frustrating to not be recognized, and lopped into the category of things that are completely unrelated. My digital paintings were being judged against random things like colored pencil entries, charcoal entries etc. they refused to put my entries in the painting category (like oil, or whatever) even though that would realistically be much closer. General people have this perception that when you say you drew or designed something digitally that the computer did the work for you. Now I know this has nothing to do with League, or this competition directly. But, I guess I found comfort that there was an art competition directed at digital painting specifically. Finally a competiton where apples would be compared to apples.

The inclusion of 3D modeled and rendered art is truly disappointing/disheartening because to compare and judge digital painting to 3D sculpting and modeling is to compare apples to oranges. They don't belong in the same competition. I'm not arguing that 3D modeling and sculpting is any less artistic, but that it belongs in its own competiton. I'm actually going to school for 3D modeling, sculpting, and animation, so I'm definitely not biased against 3D art. 3D art is actually what I want to spend my life doing. For the sake of this competiton, however, I'd rather see all of the apples rated against apples and all of the oranges rated against oranges. I'd thoroughly enjoy a full-fledged 3D art competition. I'd love to see what myself and the community could come up with.

Could there be some distinction in what is and is not allowed to be entered? Allowing various kinds of art mediums in the competiton ruins the validity of the competiton as your judging things that are entirely different.

Thanks again for giving us the opportunity of this competiton. I think it's great what Riot is doing, you guys are my favorite gaming company, after all. I plan on entering a piece of my own. I plan on getting a ton more done this weekend.

Peace
Delkin,

I hear you. I completely understand your concerns on this, and I want to make this clear so there's no doubt in your mind that what you're speaking of is truly what we're looking for in this contest. Something to keep in mind is that every entry will be judged upon the same criteria of our standard for digital art. Whether someone chooses to draw something on paper, scan it in, and paint over it digitally, or they choose to create a 3d model, and paint over that into a digital art piece, the things we will be looking for are the same as the valued skills you mentioned when it comes to digital painting.

We won't look at a piece of art with amazing original 3d models inserted into it, then give it extra points because it's a 3d model. The artwork is required to be one-dimensional, and we will judge it as such. However awesome it is that we have such skilled 3d artists, for the purposes of this contest, they'll need to figure how to incorporate that talent into a scene that is focused on composition, interactions, lighting, color use, and many other criteria one would look at when observing a painted piece.

I tend to ramble, but I hope I helped clear things up for you! I am very excited to see what you've come up with <3
Good luck!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ShawnDempsey

Senior Member

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsPudding View Post
We won't look at a piece of art with amazing original 3d models inserted into it, then give it extra points because it's a 3d model. The artwork is required to be one-dimensional, and we will judge it as such.
1 Dimensional?! I think you are taking pointillism too far


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dreampod

Senior Member

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsPudding View Post
We won't look at a piece of art with amazing original 3d models inserted into it, then give it extra points because it's a 3d model. The artwork is required to be one-dimensional, and we will judge it as such. However awesome it is that we have such skilled 3d artists, for the purposes of this contest, they'll need to figure how to incorporate that talent into a scene that is focused on composition, interactions, lighting, color use, and many other criteria one would look at when observing a painted piece.
Gosh, it sure would have been nice if the gingerbread contest had gotten judged on the gingerbread instead of who had the best fondant sculpture. Oh well, at least someone at Riot know how to run a contest.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

artzombi3

Junior Member

01-30-2013

any chance we'd see the all/most entries posted in facebook or something after the entry dates end?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MsPudding

Sentient Pudding

Follow MsPudding on Twitter

01-30-2013
13 of 15 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreampod View Post
Gosh, it sure would have been nice if the gingerbread contest had gotten judged on the gingerbread instead of who had the best fondant sculpture. Oh well, at least someone at Riot know how to run a contest.
Your sarcasm is not appreciated. I wasn't involved in the gingerbread contest, but the vast majority of decorations on the thirty winners in each region were actually colored frosting, not fondant. Why do you have something against decorating gingerbread?